2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tonup69
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I’ve been having intermittent trouble with a switch on the Target Relay on Magic City. The video sums it up. I’ve cleaned and adjusted it several times, but it continues to make intermittent contact. I can touch it and it will chime and score correctly (yeah, I know, don’t touch it). Should a replace the switch bank? What else can I do to get it working?

Looks like I can’t add a video. Switch is on the end of the target relay bank. I’ll try a photo later.

FYI - the issue is the roll over ore target won’t score or will intermittently.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I have had switches that required filing, usually large tungsten contacts that were corroded/pitted. Needed to use a metal file, the usual flexstone didn't cut it.
Also had cases where a contact was in the switch blade but had become loose. Have to re-peen those on a metal surface with a few hammer taps.
Another case is where the switch blade is broken inside the stack so you can't see it.

These all sound awful - but i guess I can start with the metal file. Trying not to take the stack out, if i can help it.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If it works reliably when you push it, but only intermittently when the ball does it, could it be that the switch doesn't have enough over travel or wipe? Ideally switch contacts like to wipe across each other rather than just touch. The long blade contact should push back and wipe across the short blade contact.
/Mark

I agree - that's why I readjusted it as close as possible - more slide. That didn't help either. I will lift the rely and switch stack so I can get a closer look at this switch - sometimes that seems to help (i.e. I can see something I missed).

One thought - I need to check the center target - maybe it is stuck on? I didn't do that yet.

3 weeks later
#7 2 years ago

SOLVED - there was one switch on the Coin Relay that was rubbed down to nothing - i.e. no ball on the end of the switch for contact. I used a method I have seen here - solder a ball to the end of it - i.e. replace it with solder. filed it a bit and it works great! Not sure how long the solder will last, but all of my problems solved with the center target, bonus, start up - everything was through this switch. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 23.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tonup69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-switch-magic-city?tu=tonup69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.