View topic image gallery

drop target wire jump (resized).png
20170703_150841 (resized).jpg
20170703_150757 (resized).jpg
20170703_150743 (resized).jpg
20170703_150733 (resized).jpg
20170703_150708 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

FIXED: Changed out leaf switch with a different one.
Game Plan - Sharpshooter

The "S-H-O-O-T-E-R" drop targets all work fine except for the first "O". The light displays during attract mode and during lamp test, however, upon dropping the target the lamp remains unlit, and the shot sound is not heard. Additionally, it will not register as being knocked down, thus my targets won't reset until the ball is drained.

The startup shows 6 flashing lights on the MPU, and the self test shows no codes.

The switch makes contact, and I have cleaned the contacts with a business card twice.

Recently I opened a set of wires that were soldered and taped, thinking perhaps there was a poor connection. I found that when close the switch and connect with bare wire or test leads to a wire further down the line of the target, the light works and the sound is made. I'll include some pics, hopefully the right spot.

20170703_150708 (resized).jpg20170703_150708 (resized).jpg

So is this indicative of a bad switch, or not necessarily? The other wires connected to this target appear to be soldered well (again, hopefully the pics show up here).

20170703_150733 (resized).jpg20170703_150733 (resized).jpg
20170703_150743 (resized).jpg20170703_150743 (resized).jpg
20170703_150757 (resized).jpg20170703_150757 (resized).jpg
20170703_150841 (resized).jpg20170703_150841 (resized).jpg

I have also tested the diode, that checks out similar to all other diodes from drop targets.

I also have an "8000" bonus points light that is not lighting during any test or play, yet the bulb works. That may just be a socket, but thought I would mention it.

All others aspects (non physical) appear fine.

How else would I go about testing the switch, aside from pulling it from the play field underside?

Thanks for your suggestions.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So is this indicative of a bad switch,

More like a leaf blade switch not working.

I'd put a meter on each blade and close them and see if the meter sees it close. Maybe those rivet looking things at the end of each leaf aren't making good electrical contact with the blade. ( bang them tight with a hammer or solder them if they aren't ).

If they are good, then start checking continuity of each wire from that switch to where it all goes to. A break or back connection could be the problem.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I just checked again, doesn't matter if I touch the contact circle or not, that dog won't hunt. The other targets all fire when jumped with a wire, sometimes with the contact, other times just the leaf/blade itself.

OK, so how do I check continuity? Do I have to go into the schematics and follow the wire back to a board?

From what I can tell (and I'm new at all of this) I need to follow the Violet/White and Blue/Green wires back to J6 on LDU-2. So how do I actually check?

Also, if I'm correct, since when I jump from the leaf/blade to the Violet/White wire that is uncovered I get the lamp and noise, isn't my issue somewhere between there?

drop target wire jump (resized).pngdrop target wire jump (resized).png

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

so how do I check continuity?

Youtube has lots of short how to videos.

Quoted from RonSS:

Do I have to go into the schematics and follow the wire back to a board?

That, or just follow the wire.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

Fixed:

Changed the leaf switch out with a different one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-switch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.