• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DEN
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi guys.
My bally Lost world has problems with iys soundboard.

Game playes perfect, but the sound is horrible. It scratches and got eccoes i think. Shounds like a blown speaker and superhigh volume.

I have tried:
Refit cabrls
Inspekt sound board for cracked solder but the board looks nice
Took all ics out and reseated them
Took both speakers off and connected another speaker, and still bad sound.

What to try now????

Other then that, thisone seems like a great game

#2 8 years ago

Probably all the electrolytic capacitors should be replaced.

#3 8 years ago

if it turns out to be a sound prom , i have them. i would try new caps first , usually its a thud thud thud sound if the prom is bad.

#4 8 years ago

Yep, those old, dried-out caps are usually the first place to look.

#5 8 years ago

The -32 and -50 boards have an absurdly high failure rate in the ICs. From the PROM to the 4042s, to the weird obsolete 8439, etc. It must be a terrible design. Replacing the caps is a start, but not the cause of issues typically on this sound board.

This board is a bit of a pain to trouble shoot. It is best to have a scope or logic probe at least and work through oliver okeigi's write up.

Bad PROM is usually identified bad no pulsing on data out 2 - PIN2 of the prom (i think it is that pin) or every note the sound board plays is the same pitch.

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html

#6 8 years ago

4 new caps did not help at all

#7 8 years ago

Diagnostic from this point involves putting the game in sound test and watching how everything works. Start at the clock/timer/prom area then work towards the amplifiers. Okaegi's write up should get you fixed if you can follow it.

#8 8 years ago

As i can see the link is for older soundboards. For kiss lost world paragon and so on.

My game is escape from the lost world bally, sorry if i dident make it clear, i think its from 1987

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

As i can see the link is for older soundboards. For kiss lost world paragon and so on.
My game is Escape from the Lost World bally, sorry if i dident make it clear, i think its from 1987

Oh. The title of the thread made me think it is the orginal lost world.

#10 8 years ago

I just picked an eftlw and am having the same sound issues. Sounds like caps did not solve the prob. Hoping to see what the solution is

1 week later
#11 8 years ago

I still dont know friend. Replace for caps on soundboard and still same issue.
Cant even find a new soundboard for sale anywhere.

Hope i get some more help in here

#12 8 years ago

I replaced my 2 main caps on my soundboard and the sound is much much better. There still is a static background sound though so I think it could be fixed or improved just not sure what the next step is. Do I replace something else on the sound board?

3 weeks later
#13 8 years ago

4 new caps did not help nme at all

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 36.95
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-sound-on-lost-world and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.