Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RatShack
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kjagsdjkfhgajksdhfgjakhsdgf.gif

This topic is closed.

#1 2 years ago

So I reply to a recent ad for a Slugfest. Couldn’t have been more than 30 minutes after the ad was placed. I stated I was interested, where I was coming from and asked when would be a good time to pick up. I received a reply stating that he had to check his schedule and would let me know. I sent a few follow up questions about the machine, but got no answer.

A day or two later, the ad is marked as sale pending, but I don’t think anything of it as I thought it was marked that way because of our conversation.

Another day or two goes by with no answer. I ask again what a good time to come by is. He stated there was someone ahead of me and I was 2nd in line. If I was 2nd in line, why did he tell me he needed to check his schedule to see when I could pick it up? Red flag #1

2 weeks go by and I notice the ad is still up and the ad is marked as sale pending. I figure at this point, the seller likely forgot to take the ad down. I message him and he says the machine is 99% sold and is pending pickup. Who holds a game for 2 and 1/2 weeks before considering them a flake and moving onto the next person in line? Red flag #2

I told the seller to let me know if anything falls through. He replied that he had 10 people in line. I told him to check my username as maybe he didn’t remember 2 weeks earlier telling me I was 2nd in line. He stated that I had no claim to being next in line, rather I just assigned that to myself.

I’m a pretty easy guy to do business with. I just don’t understand the games people play.

#2 2 years ago

Some people are flaky. I wouldn’t make this a big deal because it’s his pin he can do what he likes.

#3 2 years ago

It sounds like he got better offers. This doesn't make him a scammer, just a sorta odd duck. But people can sell to whomever they choose, and he didnt choose you for whatever reason. Sorry, man.

I think I'd change your title. It makes him sound like he stole money.

#4 2 years ago

This used to be more frowned upon but now it just feels like the norm. You can only only control YOUR character and integrity, not others. There is a much nicer and cheaper slugfest waiting just around the corner for you

#6 2 years ago

Integrity does seem to be a thing of the past.....

#7 2 years ago

What makes you think the seller is obligated to sell it to you? Because you contacted them first?

Read what you wrote above - he was completely non-commital and there was no agreement made. If terms were met and you both agreed, then that’s a different matter, but that’s not the case here.

There are a 100 factors that commonly affect who a seller sells to. One is transaction speed. Another is whether the seller has to ship or not. Another is whether it’s a friend or not. And 97 more reasons. Who calls first is not one of them unless an agreement is reached.

The market is hot and he next caller probably added $500 so you lost out. No need to try to trash someone just because your feely-feels got hurt.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

What makes you think the seller is obligated to sell it to you? Because you contacted them first?
    Read what you wrote above - he was completely non-commital and there was no agreement made. If terms were met and you both agreed, then that’s a different matter, but that’s not the case here.
    There are a 100 factors that commonly affect who a seller sells to. One is transaction speed. Another is whether the seller has to ship or not. Another is whether it’s a friend or not. And 97 more reasons. Who calls first is not one of them unless an agreement is reached.
    The market is hot and he next caller probably added $500 so you lost out. No need to try to trash someone just because your feely-feels got hurt.

You hit the nail on the head and it couldn’t be said any better.

#9 2 years ago

Unfortunate situation for sure, but as others mentioned there are small but important details that can change a transaction like this. If you said "I'm interested, let's schedule a time to look at it" and the next guy said "I'll take it, where can I send a deposit", that can definitely change things. Maybe the next guy was a friend. Right or wrong, if I have a trusted friend interested, they are going to get priority over a stranger that may have emailed me 5 minutes earlier. I totally understand your frustration, and have been in those shoes a few times, but since there was never any sort of agreement, I'm not sure a "bad seller alert" is warranted here. Keep your chin up, another one will pop up. Good luck!

#10 2 years ago

Feels like lots of entitlement here to me from the OP/buyer. Without a commitment to sell to you, you made a bunch of assumptions and then proceeded to come on here and trash him. I would say you are sounding like a bad buyer actually.

#11 2 years ago

The first red flag should be “Willard”. That was the rat movie.

#12 2 years ago

Gotta love these posts.

Op what you described sounds pretty standard for the hobby.

I'd consider changing your title of your thread.

#13 2 years ago

Bad buyer alert: CMJB13

#14 2 years ago

This didn't need to be a post. Just move on.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cmjb13:

I stated I was interested, where I was coming from and asked when would be a good time to pick up.

Stated "interested" or "I will take this"..... HUGE difference. Interested=not a done deal. Him saying "will let you know" is also not a done deal. Even if you said I will take this, and him saying will let you know is STILL not a deal. It's just negotiating, and you lost out.

#16 2 years ago

I had offers within minutes of posting stuff for sale. It can be overwhelming when you get a bunch of people trying to message you all at once with questions, offers, and trying to schedule pickups. Sounds like this guy was just trying to manage different offers at first then worked out a deal with someone else. That someone else could of been the first contact or maybe just the first guy seller felt comfortable doing the sale with. Deals can take a while to work out with for variety of reasons so that is not odd. Seller did not rip you off, lie to you, or back out of any deal. Bad form to call him out like that.

#17 2 years ago

Maybe seller picked up vibe he did not care for . Like this thread . His choice to hold game is his privilege. His property till cash changes hands .

I agree that a title change justified .

Shane

#18 2 years ago

I feel that all this thread accomplished was making people be leery of the buyer, and not the seller.

#19 2 years ago

Based on the OPs post, I dont see anything wrong here and there is no need for this post.

I have dealt with Willard before and had no issues.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I feel that all this thread accomplished was making people be leery of the buyer, and not the seller.

Exactly.

#21 2 years ago

So several days went by from his "lemme check my schedule" until you actually tried contacting him again, assuming it was yours?

Fail.

#23 2 years ago
    kjagsdjkfhgajksdhfgjakhsdgf.gifkjagsdjkfhgajksdhfgjakhsdgf.gif
    #24 2 years ago

Pinsider complaining about a deal he never had? Red flag #1.

Mods should close this down.

#25 2 years ago

OP (or a mod) did change the thread title so maybe their opinion on the events that transpired has changed. If so, I commend you Cmjb13 . Live and learn. May your next transaction meet your expectations.

#26 2 years ago

I don’t see that the seller did anything wrong to deserve a Seller Warning. I would suggest removing the term “Seller Warning” from the title. That should be reserved for scammers and people who give you a firm commitment to sell you a game, you drive 4 hours and show up and then they tell you they just sold it to someone else 5 minutes ago.

#27 2 years ago

Why do people think that just because they reply first/second/whatever, that they should get the item? Sellers' allowed to sell to whomever they want, and the best offer is rarely the first offer. Also sellers may want to keep it local, or sell to a friend, or to simply sell to someone less antsy than OP, who is acting entitled AF.

Agree this is more of a bad buyer thread...

#28 2 years ago

I don't blame you for being a little salty, but I don't think this warrants a bad seller thread tbh

#29 2 years ago

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-selller-alert-willard79 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.