is-it-plugged-in.jpg
image-375.jpg
Unknown-233.jpeg
JE.jpg
image-900.jpg
image-95.jpg
arm_01.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Try harder and you might.

You're right, I do see the difference, one of the transactions involved JJP.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Cmon, we don't need anymore of that crap in a thread that has nothing to do with jjp. One guy bought a brand new machine from a distributor and had multiple issues, this guy bought a used machine from a homeowner with one issue probably caused by a connector that came loose on the ride home.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Cmon, we don't need anymore of that crap in a thread that has nothing to do with jjp. One guy bought a brand new machine from a distributor and had multiple issues, this guy bought a used machine from a homeowner with one issue probably caused by a connector that came loose on the ride home.

You're right. Sorry for the off topic post.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

You didn't try very hard, did you?

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You didn't try very hard, did you?

Sorry Rob, not up to sparring tonight. Going to drink a few choice beers and chill. maybe next time though lol.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from juanton:

Sorry Rob, not up to sparring tonight. Going to drink a few choice beers and chill. maybe next time though lol.

Wish you had done that before turning this into a JJP vs Stern thing.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Wish you had done that before turning this into a JJP vs Stern thing.

Yes, I should have, and I apologized for posting here. I understand you need to have the last word, and you can. This is my last post in this thread. For the record, it was not a JJP vs Stern thing. I like Stern just as much as JJP. My post was simply pointing out that one guy was praised incessantly for his way of handling a problem machine, while this op was not, simply because one machine was made by JJP. If the machine in question here was a WOZ, it would have been the manufacturers fault. Since it was not a WOZ, well then "Something came loose in shipping. Happens all the time. Happens with all machines. They always break. That's pinball." The same people that pointed this out here are the same ones that posted in the other thread about moving pins 600 miles on a bumpy country road and plugging them in with no problems. I'm sorry, just seems a bit hypocritical imo.

#108 9 years ago

#109 9 years ago

Yes, his lack of response is deafening!!!

Quoted from tamoore:

I've bought 4 pins from Gribbs. He's a good friend of mine and has always been good to deal with. My guess is, he was frustrated and tired when he posted this. My guess is he'll revisit this later and do the right thing. I've never known him to be unreasonable.
Hope you get your new pin issues sorted and working, buddy. Nice pickup.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Centerflank I wouldn't be talking ....you're a packer fan.... ( trash talk fun )

image-363.jpg 36 KB

He's not gay.

#111 9 years ago

Shame on all of us (myself included now) for keeping this weak thread alive.

#112 9 years ago

***INTERMISSION***

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Only one way to settle this.

arm_01.jpg 40 KB

image.jpgimage.jpg
#114 9 years ago

Can't tell the difference between a new and used game ?? Buying used from another pinhead vs new from distroJesus that some sorority density right there.
And if it helps I have beat the rap of stern for defects on nib games bought through new sale channels. I don't beat them up for a used game and what the previous owner or I should be responsible for.

#115 9 years ago

OP, You have to be very careful when you call somebody out. Sometimes the "wrong" party winds up being blasted.

This thread is precisely why I am anxious about shipping pins or selling pins that have not been at least played by the buyer before the transaction is complete.

#116 9 years ago

As much of a stooge gribbs feels, I bet jpop is wishing he could be gribbs right now.

#117 9 years ago

I bought a Tron LE and the pop bumpers didn't work. Didn't even mention it to the seller because it was a simple matter of lifting the playfield and opening the gap a little bit. Probably the cold caused the switches to close. No big deal. Gotta learn to fix these things yourself.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

***INTERMISSION***
» YouTube video

come on now, wouldnt THIS be a little more like it? (and maybe NSFW too idk)

#119 9 years ago

so wheres Gribbsy at ?.

#120 9 years ago

Workin on his pin?

#121 9 years ago

Yet another tale of why not everyone should own pinball machines. They are not consumer electronic devices you buy like a TV from best buy.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#123 9 years ago

I get it about checking stuff myself, but shouldn't the first call be to the seller to see what he knows about it? It was the way he was a TOTAL <edited> to me that made me post. I would have been glad to work out the issue without coming to Pinside. I'm a reasonable guy, but I don't enjoy being treated like that. Maybe there's a job at Jersey Jack for DapperDan24...

Post edited by moderator: no personal attacks please.

#124 9 years ago

When in doubt, double down!

Little friendly advice man, you'd be a lot happier with your game if you just started a tech thread and asked for some help instead of trying to trash someone. When you catch up on posts you'll find that it's not going so well.

#125 9 years ago

And for the record, I also just bought a pin from a local guy that seemed to have an issue. I contacted him, and it is all working out because he didn't take the initial attitude of "It's your problem now, Bruh".

#126 9 years ago

Heard dat!! You're now on my do not buy from and do not sell to list now. TIA

Quoted from Gribbs:

Just checked back-haven't even caught up on posts, but I will tell you - it is NOT a loose anything that happened on transport. I have worked with Gio, etc. (who DapperDan24 wanted to throw right under the bus by saying it was the code change that probably screwed up the lights). I would NOT have noticed this problem with one play at his house. It took about ten games (there are SO many lights) for me to realize there was something wrong. My TWD is going to need maintenance. HeHAD to have known about this problem.
I NICELY asked DapperDan24 about the lights, and he IMMEDIATELY JUMPED DOWN MY FUCKING THROAT LIKE A JERK. He is NOT a striaght-up guy, and I thought I would let people know.
If that's my fault, then sure-don't ever sell a pin to me.
Michael

#127 9 years ago

DD24 once called me out as a local flipper on the forum . As most people that know me can attest, I am far from that.

#128 9 years ago

I will not catch up on posts. I don't care what a lot of people who don't know me, DapperDan24 or the situation. I have bought and sold nearly ten pins this year from Pinsiders. The deals have gone great, and I've met many wonderful people. DapperDan24 saw a few additional marks on my Sopranos cabinet that I had not notice, so I added an addition $250 to the deal.

I expect that when I get the pin home and some of it doesn't work, that when I call the seller he doesn't jump down my throat and treat me like I'm some kind of a-hole for even contact him.

Just me, I guess.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

If that's my fault, then sure-don't ever sell a pin to me.

It's not anybodies fault the game broke.

Pins break every day.

I've got 47 pins and I don't think there was ever a time when they were all working 100% at once.

Quoted from Gribbs:

Maybe there's a job at Jersey Jack for DapperDan24...

That's good material, lol

#130 9 years ago

Good luck getting your game fixed Gribbs because I don't know how the heck you'd acquire another one at this point!

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I expect that when I get the pin home and some of it doesn't work, that when I call the seller he doesn't jump down my throat and treat me like I'm some kind of a-hole for even contact him.
Just me, I guess.

Not, just you.
I had this happen to me. I called just to ask, "did you ever have this problem?"
I don't think it is wrong just to see if this "might" be a intermittent issue.
I do accept the fact that that when I buy it..it's mine...good & the bad.
But, a simple question should not cause a harsh attitude..if that is the way it came down.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I will not catch up on posts. I don't care what a lot of people who don't know me, DapperDan24 or the situation. I have bought and sold nearly ten pins this year from Pinsiders. The deals have gone great, and I've met many wonderful people. DapperDan24 saw a few additional marks on my Sopranos cabinet that I had not notice, so I added an addition $250 to the deal.
Just me, I guess.

Look, it's a string of lights and something is loose. I'd like if people were to help a fellow pinsider find the issue.

Check the connections under the play field. My guess is a wire came loose. May have been loose at the buyers and the movement of the machine pulled it. I've had numerous issues like this and it has always been a unseated connector or a transistor on the board. My bet is still a loose wire as it's limited to only some lights

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

DD24 once called me out as a local flipper on the forum . As most people that know me can attest, I am far from that.

lol o-din. That was a good while back. Well before anybody knew who you were and before you reached your "Pinside immortal" status. I made a bad (incorrect) assumption that given your support/proximity/friendliness toward on of our flippers that you were him. I'll own that as it was/is clearly not true. How long ago was that? You have quite the memory

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That must have been a "guilty by association" thing...

Quoted from Gribbs:

I'm a reasonable guy, but I don't enjoy being treated like that.

Maybe you are, but your actions at this point are saying otherwise.

Quoted from ShinyBall:

Not, just you.
I had this happen to me. I called just to ask, "did you ever have this problem?"
I don't think it is wrong just to see if this "might" be a intermittent issue.
I do except the fact that that when I buy it..it's mine...good & the bad.
But, a simple question should not cause a harsh attitude..if that is the way it came down.

+1 on this. Pins break...ALL the time. I can say with the greatest honesty that I have moved a pin across the room, turned it on, and it blew a fuse. Checked for problems, none were found, so replaced the fuse with no further problems. This is kind-of a broken record for this thread but bottom line is you, OP, could have and should have handled this better. DD24 has always been a good guy to me others I know whom he has dealt with.

Good luck with your problem and post the fix so others can learn...if you don't mind.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

You have quite the memory

His memory is so good, he remembers every single one of his pinside avatar pictures.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

His memory is so good, he remembers every single one of his pinside Avatar pictures.

I wish that was true. I am now stuck wondering if I have done any re-runs.

#137 9 years ago

Regarding this other situation, all the more I will say is that I was completely proactive in contacting Gribbs once he messaged me. He Pm'd, I texted. The text was getting heavy, so I called to avoid misunderstanding written texts and their intentions. Once I called, the direction of the call was hinting at "make this right by paying a tech to come look at it." That was not making sense to me as the other options were just getting thrown out and I was getting trashed by the buyer with him saying things like "I assumed you would make it right if there was a problem" and that "I must've known about the problem" etc. I can tell you that I never cussed or called names during the call (though I am far from opposed to the use of colorful words) it just wasn't the time or place during our call. It was Gribbs who told me to "f*** off" or "f*** you" or what ever followed his use of "f***" and then he hung up. Promptly after that call, I sent him a PM that was still not crude or terribly mean offering solutions if he would have them. At that same time, he took to this forum and started this. Again, you be the judge, though saying that seems fairly unnecessary as the people who have come to speak on this thread kind of already have.

#138 9 years ago

1. I texted him and asked if he knew anything about the problem.
2. He CALLED me hot and bothered saying "So what's the problem, dude" and I got out ONE WORD -

I said "Well," and he CUT ME OFF AND FLEW INTO A DIATRIBE WHERE I WAS GUILTY.

I'm the bad guy here because I wanted to warn you guys of this.

You're welcome.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I have worked with Gio, etc. (who DapperDan24 wanted to throw right under the bus by saying it was the code change that probably screwed up the lights).

I will also say that I was in no way throwing Gio under the bus. I have lots of respect for the folks at Refinery and was not calling them out as the problem, I just thought I had heard this was a possibility and that if there was not a more obvious issue found (unseated connector et al), this could be worth investigating. Gio pointed out that would not be the case (fairly quickly in this thread) and I not only take his word on it, but appreciate Refinery all the more for how quickly they noticed this thread and the potential need of their customers!

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wish that was true. I am now stuck wondering if I have done any re-runs.

I'd like to put in a request for the dog with the cigar. An all-time classic.

#141 9 years ago

This thread is done, so... IBIQRTT (In Before I Quit Reading This Thread)

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

This thread is done

Not yet!
ecdac403abf510e63f7824ce1a4a7c61.jpgecdac403abf510e63f7824ce1a4a7c61.jpg

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not yet!

ecdac403abf510e63f7824ce1a4a7c61... 20 KB

Is there any way to give that multiple thumbs-up? Thanks for the high-res photo...that's now my wallpaper!

#144 9 years ago

No - I just got here. One final fact:

Once DapperDan24 had the Sopranos in front of him, I offered at least three times that he could cancel the deal, and I would drive back to AZ, no problem. I am in this for hobby, not money.

HE told me to put in an additional $250. I didn't have the cash, so I shook his hand and told him I would send it via Paypal from home the next morning, which I did.

Watch out for me, sellers - I'm a slick one.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

He CALLED me hot and bothered saying "So what's the problem, dude" and I got out ONE WORD

I believe F@(K You is two words.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

1. I texted him and asked if he knew anything about the problem.
2. He CALLED me hot and bothered saying "So what's the problem, dude" and I got out ONE WORD -

I said "Well," and he CUT ME OFF AND FLEW INTO A DIATRIBE WHERE I WAS GUILTY.

I'm the bad guy here because I wanted to warn you guys of this.

You're welcome.

Wow. You are fuzzy on your facts there Gribbs.

I initiated the text dialogue after your first PM stating that there was a problem. Your first text response to me stating that this could be an issue with the most recent code update and the Refinery upgrades (I am assuming at this point in our conversation that you've checked the obvious culprits which I am realizing at this point was a bad assumption to make) was "I did not play it because I assumed it worked as expected. That was an important bit of info left out. *sigh*) Right there you are immediately implying that I knew there was an issue and did not tell you.

Your second text started to use all caps for your emphasis of "DO NOT light." then again in the same text "DO NOT light at all." Maybe this is misread, but you seem to be getting a bit angry. This is part of the reason I eventually picked up the phone and called you.

Your third text (before I had a chance to even respond) was "I am going to have to pay Kris at Firebird pinball to check it out." Your fourth text was "wouldn't it be ironic if this costs me around $250, no?" You are laying the groundwork for me paying for this tech visit unless I am completely misreading you.

It was after these texts that I called you. I said "What's going on? "I will admit that at this point I am getting a little defensive as you have called me out as both lying to you about the condition of the pin and you are holding your hand out for me to pay a tech to check it out. Your response started as a retelling of the story of how the lights don't work. I will fully admit that I spoke before you finished saying the exact same thing you had texted and messaged me about. When I cut you off, you got very fired up and said something to the effect of "aren't you going to even let me finish? You asked me what was up?"I then let you retell the story (which you at the very least "sound" angry about, and when you finished, I started implying that we should look at other options besides paying a tech. Your rebuttal was to the effect of "aren't you going to stand behind your product? I assumed you were a straight up guy and that you would make it right if there was a problem " etc. You may not realize it, but you are insulting me at every turn here now. At this point we are clearly disagreeing and you opt to end the conversation with a F*** YOU!!! and hanging up the phone. From there it is all history.

Dear Pinside, I love you guys and seeing so many of you come to this thread make me realize why. This place is a place I like coming to to hang out and read about pinball. I am glad it and all of you exist. I would warn you about this buyer, but he has so effectively laid that groundwork for himself that it seems unnecessary. Flip on! Especially o-din as we all know he is a dirty flipper!

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

HE told me to put in an additional $250. I didn't have the cash, so I shook his hand and told him I would send it via Paypal from home the next morning, which I did.

You have a crazy fuzzy memory man. I felt like s*** sending you back to AZ with that thing. You were absolutely the one who said how much cash would it take to make this work. I said $250 and you said that was exactly what I was thinking.

#148 9 years ago

How am I letting myself get wrapped up in this?! I am done here. Thanks again fellow pinheads. I will see you all around the more positive parts of pinside. Bad Seller DapperDan24 out!

#149 9 years ago

Shit Happens when Moving Pin's .. But Not usually on a Newer Stern ,, anyway

I went to buy a TFTC in Charlotte a few Year's back , Turn'd the Pin ON , Bling City ( looked GoOd ), Layed a Towel down and started to lower the head & the Trans- & speaker panel all Fell out .. I'm like WHAT-THA .. Oh I took the lock out and put it in my LAH .. I said B.S dude !! Screw it , i have plenty of lock's , so we load it up .. I get it n the GRG , I inspect everything behind the Trans , cables , wires , etc ,, raise the p/f -- All looks ok ,, I power it On and and the Small Power Board blows as w/ the DMD .. Later to find out a small screw u was lodged between the DMD and the backing causing a Bad short .. I call the Seller ,, Were Talking casual and he agrees to Refund back $ 100 on the DMD and i fork out the rest to get the Power Board fix'd .. That was Fair , but the Seller Should have told me about him taking the Lock out ...

BlindMan.jpgBlindMan.jpg

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I went to buy a TFTC ic Charlotte a few Year's back

That wouldn't happen to be the TFTC that said BR was here under the head now would it.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-seller-dapperdan24-jason-in-murietta/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.