is-it-plugged-in.jpg
image-375.jpg
Unknown-233.jpeg
JE.jpg
image-900.jpg
image-95.jpg
arm_01.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

I have never had to make a post like this, but I just bought The Walking Dead Pro - Refinery 01 from DapperDan24 (Jason) in <edited> California. It was late, and I shook his hand saying "I'm sure everything's fine and if not, I'm sure you will back it up." I did not play the machine. He buys and sells many games - made a big deal about quality of games (he freaked over a spot I had missed on my Sopranos cabinet - so I added $250 to the deal right there). He seemed like a straight-up guy, and I have done many deals with Pinsiders like this. MY BAD!

TWD Pro is awesome, but after finally getting to play it tonight, I noticed there are numerous lights out on the play field. They will not light. I went into the Diagnostics Menu, and they simply will not light.

I texted DapperDan24 (Jason), and he called wanting to jump down MY throat. (Sounds like a hot thread in another forum right now). Jason tells me that I need to call Pinball Refinery because when you update the code on machines, he's heard it screws up Gio's lighting, etc. Then he says the lights were working when he had the machine. BS, BS and more BS basically telling me he's not going to help me. Not even an offer to pay for a service call.

BUYER BEWARE!

Post edited by moderator: please dont give private information out of other pinsiders such as locatoin they live.

#2 9 years ago

Why didn't you play the game? This is what can happen when you don't. Could've been even worse.

#3 9 years ago

Lol. Just sent this message to this guy, guess he took to the forum instead. There you go. Can't win them all. I would not normally submit a PM, but this was mine to him. I display it here so that the community can see where I am coming from:

I am not sure what you are asking of me. You want me to pay for a tech to come look at the machine? To my knowledge, CDC and all 5 weapons insets lit when I was playing. I didn't notice multiple lights out when I played it. You had the ability to check it here and I would have preferred that so we both knew what the issue is/was. There are MANY possibilities here including:

- An unseated cable from moving it (have you traced the cables from the problem lights down?)
- Code update messed up Refinery upgrades
- Something else that somebody smarter than us would know (I guess a tech if that is the only person in the hobby you know who could troubleshoot it)

My issue is that I did not know of any problems with the machine during my SHORT ownership of a BRAND NEW machine. I would prefer we contact Gio straight out the gate to see if that is a known, easily fixed issue.

Our trade was not at all skewed in my favor either brother. Your machine is a $3000 machine. I know you don't want to hear that, but the cabinet damage makes it much less desirable and current asking prices and sales point to that amount. You may have payed $4000, but that is not what it would sell for in my honest opinion. Add $2500 and I got $5500 for a $6500 purchase. That's a wash for both of us at best.

The long and short of it is that I am not certain what the issue is. If you were local, we could hunt it down together and I have (multiple) friends that could help us trace it down. But when you immediately point a finger at me and (indirectly) ask me to pay a tech ("...wouldn't it be ironic if it cost $250 to fix...") to come look at a brand new machine which was playing fine so far as I could tell when it was in my possession doesn't sit well. I offered the first thing that came to mind (assuming you had already tried the obvious and traced down the cables associated with the problem lights) which was to check with Refinery and see if there was an issue. You went straight to paying a tech (hint hint, maybe I should pay for it).

I did not dodge you. I texted directly after receipt of your message. Called when the texts were heading in a bad direction. If you want to cuss me out and hang up, that is on you. This is probably a simple problem (can't imagine it isn't given the age of the machine.) I just wish we could have handled it a such before asking for money to pay a tech. That has never gone that direction in the MANY transactions I have made.

Hope it works out, let me know if I can help.

Post edited by dapperdan24: Took out names as I believe it is against pinside rules...

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

(he freaked over a spot I had missed on my Sopranos cabinet - so I added $250 to the deal right there).

There was significant damage not disclosed to the side of the cabinet. Collectors are picky. Sopranos is not worth the $4k this pinsder thinks it is in that condition. He offered to turn around and take it to AZ. I was feeling bad as I did not really want to make the trade at that point, but he was in my driveway from AZ. He offered to put up more money and I gave him extras for the game we had previously bargained out of the deal.

Quoted from Gribbs:

I texted DapperDan24 (Jason)

He messaged me on Pinside, I immediately texted him (I initiated contact) to try and resolve the problem ASAP.

Quoted from Gribbs:

and he called wanting to jump down MY throat.

I called after he was texting about calling a tech and "wouldn't it be ironic if the repairs cast $250". After reading that text, I wanted to talk to him to try more obvious solutions to the problem before calling out a tech which he was implying that I pay for.

Quoted from Gribbs:

Jason tells me that I need to call Pinball Refinery because when you update the code on machines, he's heard it screws up Gio's lighting, etc.

This seems like a possible solution assuming he did not check for an unseated connector.

Quoted from Gribbs:

Then he says the lights were working when he had the machine.

I did not notice the problem and he did not fire up the machine before leaving. I was up and hanging with a buddy from out of town (which he knew) so there was no limit on time.

Quoted from Gribbs:

BS, BS and more BS basically telling me he's not going to help me. Not even an offer to pay for a service call.

You can call BS, but I was unaware of a problem. It is a BRAND NEW machine. It probably is still something simple that does not need a service call from a tech. I have NO IDEA if this was an issue at my residence and neither do you.

Enough of pinside has had good enough dealings with me that I am not terribly concerned about your posting. I immediately contacted this buyer when I got his message. I texted him. I then called him (he ended the conversation by telling me to F*** OFF and hanging up.) He then immediately wrote this on pinside. You be the judge.

#5 9 years ago

Only one way to settle this.

arm_01.jpgarm_01.jpg

#6 9 years ago

This should be interesting, going to get the popcorn!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

arm_01.jpg 40 KB

Or this...

image-95.jpgimage-95.jpg

Two men enter
One man leaves...

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

This should be interesting, going to get the popcorn!

#9 9 years ago

First rule of thumb - turn on and play machine "before" you buy or sell it.

#10 9 years ago

Service call for some lights out?

No need. A lot of folks on Pinside can help. This stuff happens sometimes when moving the pin.

Do you have a multimeter? Have you checked the fuses or wiring in the backbox. What about the LED contacts in each receptacle? This might be a good time to crack open the manual. I'm certain this won't be the only pinball technical issue you're going to come across with this pin. Not that this is a bad game or the seller took you.... That's just how these games are.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

arm_01.jpg 40 KB

Or settle it like original western gangsters !!!

image-900.jpgimage-900.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Play BEFORE you buy....I don't care what kind of a hurry your in ALWAYS play before you buy.

#13 9 years ago

Jelly wrestling???

#14 9 years ago

Where is Judge Judy when you need her?!!!

Actually, I feel bad for both the buyer and the seller. For most people, this kind of situation could end rather easily if the buyer had pin repair knowledge. I know when I've bought pins, when I saw something wrong, I fixed it myself without resorting to asking for a refund, or help from the seller. Maybe I'm wrong, but the onus is usually on the buyer. You take your chances.

#15 9 years ago

I'm kidding ......I know both parties involved ....Jason is a great seller i bought my xmen from him and never had a single problem and a few pinsiders have bought from Jason , he's a great person ....mike is also a great guy I just think there's some miscommunication between them ....mike hit me up maybe I could help you with that problem ....it's not a big problem it must be a blown fuse or a connector that got loose on the way back it has happened to me a lot when you travel with a machine from long distance drives.....

#16 9 years ago

Sumbuddy gita rope.

JE.jpgJE.jpg

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Or settle it like original western gangsters !!!

image-900.jpg 183 KB

A little shirt opened rasslin! I figured that is what you like being a Patriot fan.

Unknown-233.jpegUnknown-233.jpeg

#18 9 years ago

I think it's very low of OP to take it to the forums immediately without trying to resolve the problem properly first.
I am all in for full disclosure, and I don't mind being warned... But if you take it to the forums, and damage another person reputation, it better be just.

#19 9 years ago

image-375.jpgimage-375.jpg

#20 9 years ago

This dispute better be documented on youtube ...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

This dispute better be documented on youtube ...

Here we go again

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

First rule of thumb - turn on and play machine "before" you buy or sell it.

I bought Asylum's Pinball Refinery Hemi Edition AC/DC Pro #1 ,, I had asylum add New songs using Pinball Browser the nite before I bought it ,, that doesn't screw up the Light / insert's .. Something simple is Wrong w/ the Pin ,, Just dig-n and find it ..

edit: I bought his pin in a Parking lot , we meet 1/2 way , i got his and he got my HUO TSPP ..
No problem's Surfaced !!

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Where is Judge Judy when you need her?!!!
Actually, I feel bad for both the buyer and the seller. For most people, this kind of situation could end rather easily if the buyer had pin repair knowledge. I know when I've bought pins, when I saw something wrong, I fixed it myself without resorting to asking for a refund, or help from the seller. Maybe I'm wrong, but the onus is usually on the buyer. You take your chances.

Judge Judy LOL

On a Judge Judy show the other day, someone was filing a suite for a used car not being in 100% working order. She explained to the plaintiff that the sale of a used car is an as is sale. Then when she went to say that if they were smarter, they would've checked the car out first, or hired someone else (mechanic) to check it out first.

#24 9 years ago

I got my LOTR from Dapperdan. Met halfway in a parking lot. No opportunity to play test. Got it home and the ring magnet didn't work. Just needed a new fuse. 30 second fix. No drama required.

#25 9 years ago

I've dealt with dapperdan with buying/selling in the past. Hes a straight up good guy. If you hauled the pin from CA to AZ, there's a good chance something got knocked loose. How firm did you pack and seat the game in your vehicle? When I drove a CQ TAF from AZ to CA there were some bumps on that 10 FWY; TAF dmd wouldnt boot when I got it home in CA - connector came loose and I was in business. Not once did I feel compelled to call out the seller in a public forum for something that occurred via transit.

Check all your connectors and fuses (with the power off). a little troubleshooting on your part will go a long way, I bet it's a simple fix. If not, try [email protected]

Good luck and don't panic.

#26 9 years ago

Remind me to never sell a pin to Gribbs.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I bought Asylum's Pinball Refinery Hemi Edition AC/DC Pro #1 ,, I had asylum add New songs using Pinball Browser the nite before I bought it ,, that doesn't screw up the Light / insert's .. Something simple is Wrong w/ the Pin ,, Just dig-n and find it ..
» YouTube video

Loose connector or a wire fell off, simple stuff that happens when you transport pins.
I have bought several games from Jason and he has bought games from me with no problems.
Jason, remember the discussion we had about selling to noobs and why I don't like dealing with them?
Here ya go, flame on!
Congrats you are now an official Pindouche and now every single problem with this new game is because of YOU!
You are now married to this game and everything that goes wrong with it from now on is because of YOU!

#28 9 years ago

You see Jason, you should spent that 6500 on my Luci instead from the get go and none of these would have happened.

I keed, I keed. Jason is a good egg.

#29 9 years ago

Gribbs , Now you can add another Pinjury to Your Thread U started 4 mth's ago ..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-worst-pinjury

#30 9 years ago

This bs complaint reminds me of idiot buyers on eBay or amazon that file complaints and leave negative feedback for any given item without having a clue how to communicate. At least in this case dapperdan doesn't have to worry about getting his funds ripped out of his account by PayPal. He told you to F off. Oblige him and leave it at that. I'm Audi 5000 my friend.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I did not play the machine.

You drove all the way from AZ and you didn't even take 2 minutes to turn it on and flip it? Weird. I test a game I drove 20 minutes for. Now you have no baseline for what was working before bumping it around.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I have never had to make a post like this,...

So your first of 20 posts?

I'm not gonna thumb you down but you gotta work a little more than this brother. Dapperdan has been around and although I don't know him, I need to hear some real shit before I start thinking he's a dick.
You need to come to the forum first...IF....you don;t want to talk to him more to get an answer. Plenty of people can help with anything you got; eXpecially some frikkin "bulb out" hanky panky.

I'm not even reading DD itemized list of issues...just say you were drunk and you posted in a blackout. It's what i say all the time.

And by "say" I mean I don't need to say it; it's pretty obvious when it happens...but I'm a pro.

#33 9 years ago

Wow, just wow. You own a pinball machine OP, learn how to open it up, diagnose what's wrong and fix it. Call a tech? Give me a break dude. You moved a pinball machine, you honestly expect something to not go wrong? Class act btw with the buyer beware, as you can see it's going to not turn out as you expected.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

You moved a pinball machine, you honestly expect something to not go wrong?

I got my MetPro NIB and needed some tooling, it's a machine with thousands of parts in it, moving it can make some things wacky fo sho.

#35 9 years ago

I also have dealt with Dapperdan in trade deals...he has always been forthcoming on issues more than any pinsider I have met...If he knew there were issues he would have pointed them out...lots of crap can happen when you move a pin and these issues sound like minor ones with probably an easy fix...OP could have handled this better imho

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I have never had to make a post like this, but I just bought The Walking Dead Pro - Refinery 01 from DapperDan24 (Jason) in Murietta, California. It was late, and I shook his hand saying "I'm sure everything's fine and if not, I'm sure you will back it up." I did not play the machine. He buys and sells many games - made a big deal about quality of games (he freaked over a spot I had missed on my Sopranos cabinet - so I added $250 to the deal right there). He seemed like a straight-up guy, and I have done many deals with Pinsiders like this. MY BAD!
TWD Pro is awesome, but after finally getting to play it tonight, I noticed there are numerous lights out on the play field. They will not light. I went into the Diagnostics Menu, and they simply will not light.

I texted DapperDan24 (Jason), and he called wanting to jump down MY throat. (Sounds like a hot thread in another forum right now). Jason tells me that I need to call Pinball Refinery because when you update the code on machines, he's heard it screws up Gio's lighting, etc. Then he says the lights were working when he had the machine. BS, BS and more BS basically telling me he's not going to help me.

Not even an offer to pay for a service call.

BUYER BEWARE!

Gribbs,

Sorry your game is not working, that sucks, and it spoils that "new game moment" that we all love.

Being a pin tech for the last 40 years, I'll tell you the only constant in pinball is: They break all the time.

You move them, they break.

You play them, they break.

You leave them off too long, they break.

You brag about your new game to your friends, it breaks.

You set the backglass on the carpet, it breaks

One pinball manufacturer's motto (and this is straight from the owner's mouth): "If it ain't broke, it ain't pinball !"

I have opened and deployed literally 1000s of NIB games, and there was always something wrong with them out of the box, especially the Bally/Williams games.

-

So, no one is going to sell you a game, and then pay for your service call.

Even if you won that game directly from Stern, they will send you replacement parts for 6 months (except circuit boards - 2 months), but they won't pay for a service call .

#37 9 years ago

Listen to that guy up above...delete this post and lock the thread.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Listen to that guy up above...delete this post and lock the thread.

You don't think we should leave it open for contrast against the crazy WOZ thread?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You don't think we should leave it open for contrast against the crazy WOZ thread?

Drained that one earlier today....never owned it, don't care for the eXtremes around it.

#40 9 years ago

When people ask if I warranty or guarantee the pinball machine I am selling, this is what I tell them: "I guarantee that it will break"

Crappy post from the buyer.

#41 9 years ago

i bought my t2 machine a month ago. still havent played it yet. it came rapped very nicely. its in amazing condition. and it still dosent work. i called the seller a few times and even told him that im not mad at him, these things happen.

#42 9 years ago

Well of course I plugged it in. Sheesh!

is-it-plugged-in.jpgis-it-plugged-in.jpg

#43 9 years ago

Dan's a straight-up guy. A cheap tech visit will fix this. Call Kris at Firebird. Done.

#44 9 years ago

Just start a thread to help you with your issues. What's the big deal? This guy obviously had a working game before you bought it. No need to dump on the guy. I just made a trade for a perfectly 100% working game and there were a handful of items not working correctly (way harder punch list than a handful of lights out), and I have been working with pinside and the previous owner to help me fix them, since I had a 2 hour drive with the game. It takes time, but in the end, I learn more, so win win. Also see my thread created on what a great pinsider I dealt with is. I understand it's disappointing, but you have to have more class than that.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Gribbs:

I have never had to make a post like this, but I just bought The Walking Dead Pro - Refinery 01 from DapperDan24 (Jason) in Murietta, California. It was late, and I shook his hand saying "I'm sure everything's fine and if not, I'm sure you will back it up." I did not play the machine. He buys and sells many games - made a big deal about quality of games (he freaked over a spot I had missed on my Sopranos cabinet - so I added $250 to the deal right there). He seemed like a straight-up guy, and I have done many deals with Pinsiders like this. MY BAD!
I texted DapperDan24 (Jason), and he called wanting to jump down MY throat. (Sounds like a hot thread in another forum right now). Jason tells me that I need to call Pinball Refinery because when you update the code on machines, he's heard it screws up Gio's lighting, etc. Then he says the lights were working when he had the machine. BS, BS and more BS basically telling me he's not going to help me. Not even an offer to pay for a service call.
BUYER BEWARE!

No offense, but you should erase this post. This is the worst excuse for a buyer beware thread I have ever read. I would look in the mirror and beware of that guy.

#46 9 years ago

Well, I can say I have bought a game from Jason sight unseen and I got what he described. Wait! scratch that. I have had the game for months now and come to think of it, it plays horrible. every time I put the ball into play. I get to play it for about a 1 min to 5 mins and the darn ball goes between the flippers and I have to do it all over again. Now, that I think about it. You need to pay a tech to come see why there is a gap between the flippers. If not I'll need a full refund and I'll keep the game. I am attached. Wait I think this post was full of

Oops

#47 9 years ago

Don't know anyone involved here, and I have only owned 5 pins. That being said, 3/5 had a problem after transport that didn't exist before transport. Reseat fuses, maybe unplug / plug molex connectors that drive the lights you are missing. Flaming would be the last option I would personally choose, but to each their own.

#48 9 years ago

The upgrades are not affected by code changes.

It's likely something simple. My guess is from raising and lowering the head and transport a connector has come unseated or loose or a fuse is out (I'd start there). Which lights are out? Inserts, GI or flashers? That will help to direct where to start.

Call me at 805-423-3001 and I'll be happy to help you.

Gio

#49 9 years ago

I think the seller's reputation is secure. Sadly, I don't think we'll see this publicly resolved. I wouldn't expect an apology from someone who ended a phone call with 'Fuck off.'

#50 9 years ago

Gribbs (Green Right Insert Bad Bulb Stupid) Making light out of a poor posting. I might have just fixed the game.

There are 174 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-seller-dapperdan24-jason-in-murietta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.