New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 279769)

Bad rubbers?

By Ramakers

2 days ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by chad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20201017_145549 (resized).jpg

#1 2 days ago

Hello,
    Due to professional circumstances, I did not have time to practice my hobby for two years. This weekend I was found some spare time and I wanted to proceed with the restoration of my #4MBC. Last thing I did was changing the rubbers. I bought them new at that time and played only a couple of games on it.
    Now I found them all cracked? They do bounce but look like sh*t.

IMG_20201017_145549 (resized).jpg

I contacted the seller and he says this is normal with natural rubber, he recommended silicon. What is your opinion on this? I prefer rubber but I don't have experience with silicon, it is just to keep things original.

#2 2 days ago

I am also a fan of silicon. I highly recommend Titan Pinball for rubber rings.

#3 2 days ago

Those rubber look to be from 4 million BC. Fit the game just fine.

#4 2 days ago

Rubber rings should last much longer than that, especially if rarely played. I've had games with the same rings on for many years and they still look fine. Those that do go bad generally yellow before cracking like that. Maybe it's a temperature/humidity thing.

#5 2 days ago
    Quoted from Ramakers:

contacted the seller and he says this is normal with natural rubber

This shouldn't happen after only a couple years.

I may expect to see rubbers to look like that after 10-20 years, or if the game was left stored in an extreme environment where the temperature and humidity fluctuate a lot.

#6 2 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

stored in an extreme environment where the temperature and humidity fluctuate a lot.

This pinball was left in a dark, dry basement.

#7 2 days ago

I like to keep things original to and use rubbers but the ones one bought including the flipper and mini post ones started to wear away and come apart. I will never be using rubber again they just do not make them the way they used to. I strongly recommend Titan for the rubbers and super-bands for flipper rubbers. Silicone and polyurethane rings are the only way to go

#8 2 days ago

Most temperature fluctuations shouldn't affect the rubbers. I have some I bought in the mid 1970s that have been in this house's garage (0F in winter, 90F in summer) for over 25 years and are still in perfect condition.

#9 2 days ago

Probably were bought from Pinballlife, their rubbers only last a couple of months.

#10 2 days ago

The rings on new JJP only last a couple hundred plays before the sling rubbers are shot. If pinball life aren't good wtf we are in trouble.

#11 2 days ago

I've tried all the silicone and polyurethane stuff, and still prefer the "feel" of natural rubber, but people who note that modern rubber does not last long and is made differently than the old rubber formulas are not wrong. There is only one source left that I'm happy with in regards to rubber quality, and that's Marco Specialties PRW branded rubbers. They actually have the "PRW" label molded right into them. This is the only brand of rubber rings I buy now.

If Marco's PRW rubber rings disappear, I'm going to have to go Titan silicone rings across the board, as I've compared all the silicone and polyurethane stuff, and Titan feels and performs the closest to PRW rubber. Not spot on to rubber, but the closest.

#12 2 days ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've tried all the silicone and polyurethane stuff, and still prefer the "feel" of natural rubber, but people who note that modern rubber does not last long and is made differently than the old rubber formulas are not wrong. There is only one source left that I'm happy with in regards to rubber quality, and that's Marco Specialties PRW branded rubbers. They actually have the "PRW" label molded right into them. This is the only brand of rubber rings I buy now.
    If Marco's PRW rubber rings disappear, I'm going to have to go Titan silicone rings across the board, as I've compared all the silicone and polyurethane stuff, and Titan feels and performs the closest to PRW rubber. Not spot on to rubber, but the closest.

I just ordered some from Marco, I got tired of replacing sling rubbers on my Star Trek Pro every month.

#13 2 days ago

Another +1 on the rubbers from Marco, few years later they still look and play great. As much as I love Titian rubbers on modern games, they don't look or feel right on an em.

#14 2 days ago

Yeah, I get mine from Marco as well and never had an issue. Thousands of plays and still look really nice.

#15 1 day ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Probably were bought from Pinballlife, their rubbers only last a couple of months.

If that. Games that are on location have them breaking in two weeks! The problems are Pinball Life *white* rubbers, especially the 2.5" and mini-post rubbers. However, their black rubbers seem to be ok.

#16 1 day ago

Titan on all our games. Good price, great service.
    Really like translucent ones, more light and not as noticeable ugly black or white ones

#17 1 day ago

I had regular white slingshot rings last a little over 20 years on one of my longest standing games in the collection.

#18 1 day ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

If that. Games that are on location have them breaking in two weeks! The problems are Pinball Life *white* rubbers, especially the 2.5" and mini-post rubbers. However, their black rubbers seem to be ok.

I have 2.5 on my ST Pro slings from Pinballlife the pin gets played maybe twicw a week and they last about 2 months.

#19 1 day ago

Pinball Life rubbers are absolute junk...period.

Marco’s PRW rubbers for the win! They are all I use anymore and are excellent.

#20 1 day ago

Pinball Life colored silicon Perfect Play are on all of my pins. They have been on for years with no wear.

The flipper PP do wear at the corners though.

#21 1 day ago

Happ and Pinball Life mini post rubbers always seem to snap no matter how carefull you are .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 209.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.00
    $ 7.95
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 22.50
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Other
    Cobra Amusements
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Silverball Swag
    $ 169.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 49.00
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.00
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside