(Topic ID: 196109)

Bad Reviews from people who do not own or have not played the game!

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Buzz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you been victim to wrongful pinside abuse?”

• Yes 12 votes
      40%
    • No 9 votes
      30%
    • If I ever see that posting tough guy in person it's on! 9 votes
      30%

(30 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5693 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Perhaps it's just the mood I'm in but I have to say I'm over people bad mouthing games they have not played. Bottom line if you do not own or have a significant amount of time in playing. Shut Up
    We do not need people complaining when they do not even have a horse in the race.

I do not know much about rocket science so I keep my mouth shut if the topic ever comes up.

#2 6 years ago

☀️☀️☀️

#3 6 years ago

We all have opinions on things. For instance almost every game I've purchased I had never played. I look at pics, vids if available, and read what others think. I personally make my own decisions and don't let others do that for me. We are all different and that can raise some emotions from time to time. It does suck when someone pisses in your cherrios on certain things though.

#4 6 years ago

A down vote to my post just reiterates some of the problems that are found on pinside.

You know you are right. Please tell everyone your views on how bad a game is when you have not even played it. That makes all the sense in the world.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Perhaps it's just the mood I'm in but I have to say I'm over people bad mouthing games they have not played. Bottom line if you do not own or have a significant amount of time in playing. Shut Up
    We do not need people complaining when they do not even have a horse in the race.

I do not know much about rocket science so I keep my mouth shut if the topic ever comes up.

Why are people so defensive about games they own. If you personally like it then who cares what anyone else thinks. Does it really matter if they have never played it or if they have played it a bunch and dislike it?

#6 6 years ago

No one really is ever right or wrong. I personally don't use the down vote option because I feel it's mean and it hurts a little when you see it.JMO

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

It's the internet.

There are hundreds of thousands of unqualified buffoons posting reviews about everything these days.

#8 6 years ago

I just upvoted you. This drives me nuts. If you haven't experience a game first hand, then don't rate it. You know nothing about it until you've actually played it. Nothing. I have games I clearly think I won't like, and am sometimes pleasantly surprised by how much fun they are.

Another close pet-peeve is people that know they've played a crappy, poorly maintained version of a game and still somehow feel justified in rating the game. For example, Superman--everyone slams the game, and one of main reasons is that "the flippers aren't strong enough to hit the shot at the top". For crap's sake, that means the game is not playing at intended, so why rate the game poorly when you know it's a maintenance issue.

#9 6 years ago

Well, at least it isn't as bad as recipe sites...."this recipe is just awful! I replaced all the sugar with chalk and then added three times as many eggs as required and baked at twice the temperature for half the time and it came out as a disgusting lump."

Truth be told, game ratings by experienced players without having played that game may be more accurate than a novice's rating of a game in bad condition on location. Why someone would want to rate games they haven't played is beyond me, tho.

#11 6 years ago

Unfortunately almost everything you can think of has probably been covered several times over the years on here.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Bottom line if you do not own or have a significant amount of time in playing. Shut Up

Who made you King of pinside? I have to shut up if I haven't put significant time on a machine I dislike? Screw that.

I dislike Ghostbusters. I've only put about 30 games on it. I tried to like it, but it's not for me.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Unfortunately almost everything you can think of has probably been covered several times over the years on here.

there's talked aboot & covered, and then there's beaten to death over and over.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

Who made you King of pinside? I have to shut up if I haven't put significant time on a machine I dislike? Screw that.
    I dislike Ghostbusters. I've only put about 30 games on it. I tried to like it, but it's not for me.

I think 30 games is plenty to get an accurate personal opinion on a game. The complaint is those who have zero games in yet post a negative review. I don't even know how it's possible to rate a game then.

I try to get about that many across 3 samples of the game before locking in my feelings on a game.

I've played GB about the same across about 6 samples... also not a fan.

#15 6 years ago

And then there are really dumb threads like the kind I author.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I think 30 games is plenty to get an accurate personal opinion on a game. The complaint is those who have zero games in yet post a negative review. I don't even know how it's possible to rate a game then.
    I try to get about that many across 3 samples of the game before locking in my feelings on a game.
    I've played GB about the same across about 6 samples... also not a fan.

I still believe you can voice your opinion even at zero plays. Positive or negative. My only issue is when people troll threads over and over and over.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Bottom line if you do not own or have a significant amount of time in playing. Shut Up

I haven't made many useless threads, so am I qualified to comment on this one??? Shut up.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Your coming across mighty insecure about that SWLE purchase.

I brought BM66LE, the game got crucified on Pinside a lot more than SW, I love the game so I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Saying people aren't allowed an opinion on a game unless they own it is simply stupid. At the end of the day if you love a game enough to buy it does it really matter what anyone else thinks and how they came to their opinion?

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I still believe you can voice your opinion even at zero plays. Positive or negative. My only issue is when people troll threads over and over and over.

Yeah thats fine, I think we all have an initial opinion on games prior to playing them and there are threads where those get shared and debated. A review though has at least 3 metrics that depend on having played it. I personally wouldn't feel right making those up.

#20 6 years ago

If this about your SW who cares what anyone thinks and congratulations on a new game. Shit man, I love my LW3 it costs the least and causes me no issues as well as loving the game play,animation, call outs,music,etc... and about 90% of people would say I'm stupid and all DE games suck and are clunky. To each their own.

#21 6 years ago

Read the full post not a highlighted caption. Simple if you do not know you should not speak. I did not say you can't just you should not if you want to be proper. If I saw a picture of a game I can tell you that is horrible. I guess you could but why. Perhaps say I do not think it will be fun to play. Very ignorant. Some just love to fight about everything and nit pick every single word. Some of you take stuff way out of context. Have you seen stuff posted like this before. I'm sorry your little baby eyes got upset. I'm secure about everything I do and say. I have only used pinside as a tool to help and inform in a positive way. But sometimes a few of you out there drive me crazy. That said you should know how I voted in the poll.

#22 6 years ago

And who said anything about Star Wars on this thread. Could be talking about Dialed in or Spider man? Don't assume. When you do it makes an ass out of you and you. I think that's how the saying goes.

#23 6 years ago

Don't worry by the time you reach a couple years on here none of this will upset you anymore. You seem a little upset try to remember it's just pinball and who cares how or why. Remember you have rights and so does everyone else.

#24 6 years ago

Well it could be every game you own except TWD all the rest have had threads where people can't agree on them. Either way you seem a little upset.

#25 6 years ago

I don't want to rate games yet, because i don't own any pinballmachines yet. On the other hand, there are many games i have played at least 30 times, but i think i will wait a while with the rating of games

#26 6 years ago

I can look @ a game & be dissapointed. I can share that honest opinion. Really... I can.

For a game to earn my money, space & respect it has to "check all the boxes".

Theme, code, art, toys, features & gameplay.

Very recently there was a particular title I was so excited for. Once pictures were released I realized the game failed to "check all the boxes".

So I became disappointed & continued my search for a game that, you guessed it, checked all the boxes.

We all have different expectations. Its OK.

GB was a game that for me checked all the boxes but one... gameplay. Just not my cup of tea.

SW was a game that for me leaves too many boxes unchecked. I'm not even gonna bother. Too many boxes unchecked. Moving onward & upward.

AS is a game that surprised the shit out of me & checked all the boxes, although some juuuust barely. Close enough, bring that F'r home!

The next game will either check some, none or all the boxes. I cant wait to see what it is, whatever it is!

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Do you need to see the latest My Little Pony movie to know its not for you? Do you need to hear the most recent Justin Bieber or Nicki Minaj album do have a pretty good idea it will suck? I agree to a point but if someone knows from the theme or videos that its just not going to be for them nothing wrong with stating that, beating it to death is another matter, sometimes I will say its tough not to add salt when you get a love fest going on this site or when u do post negative and the sharks attack, then its sheer bliss to aggravate and beat that dead horse till you get a thread eject, ahh I love pinside.

#28 6 years ago

Well played Sir.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

The problem with this line of thinking, if you're equating pinball opinions to not understanding rocket science as a reason to keep quiet about a topic, then you're saying people that are voicing their opinions on a pinball forum don't understand pinball overall. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people posting on a pinball forum have a general knowledge of pinball thus are qualified to make whatever opinion on how they feel about a particular machine.

I don't have a problem with people forming an opinion about a game they haven't played. It doesn't affect my view of a game. I personally need to play it to form my own opinion, but know enough about my personal preferences and play style to understand what playfield layouts appeal most to me and which ones are duds without playing them. Some people's minds are set and their opinions will reflect this. I'll still give a pin a chance though before forming my final opinion.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Well played Sir.

Don't give in

Continue the fight

We aren't done bickering with you

Lol

#31 6 years ago

No point in getting upset this is simply a hobby . There is about 20 to 30 people the gripe about every new pinball machine . Sometimes you wonder if they ever have time to play the games they have . Everybody has different taste in the pins they like , Who cares what everyone else thinks by the ones you like play them sell them it's all fun .

#32 6 years ago

Topic Sounds Political, like "Fake Reviews!"

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I'm sorry your little baby eyes got upset.

Ummmm ok. Well stated point there.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Have You Been Victim To Wrongful Pinside Abuse?

Perhaps it's just the mood I'm in but I have to say I'm over people bad mouthing games they have not played.

i don't think a lot of pinball machines post on here.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

... Some just love to fight about everything and nit pick every single word. Some of you take stuff way out of context. Have you seen stuff posted like this before. I'm sorry your little baby eyes got upset...

Guess some of us love to fight whereas the rest of us just start threads about how much we hate hearing other people's opinions.

"Have you been a victim to wrongful pinside abuse?" Sorry- my eyes rolled so hard at how this poll is worded I forgot to vote.

I'm pretty sure 'listening to contradictory opinions' is one of the skills we generally pick up along the way in life otherwise it can be super frustrating to get through the day. I agree that uninformed opinions may not be very useful, but that's ok. I prefer to chuckle at stuff like that instead of internalizing anger and frustration. Seems better for my health.

As for 'other people don't like the games I like'- who cares? I have fun playing some games that seem universally hated, and there are a few beloved games that I just don't get. Big deal. Play what you like, and roll your eyes at pettiness instead of letting it ruin your day. Just my $.02

#36 6 years ago

I appreciate all of the effort from thoughtful reviewers like caucasian2step. I'd have a stroke if I stressed over all of the idiots "fighting the good fight" against manufacturers and certain titles. My favorite moronic reviewer was the guy who rated IMVE a 1 because it was rated too highly by everybody else. He agreed to adjust his rating once it reached it's "proper organic" rating. WTF? When you have geniuses like that in the mix it's awfully hard to take any of it seriously, lol.

Life's way too short, man. Just go play some pinball. If that doesn't do it for you, you could try just obsessing over shooter lanes. That seems pretty popular.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

... If that doesn't do it for you, you could try just obsessing over shooter lanes. That seems pretty popular.

A little something to send a shooter lane aficionado into a seizure.

IMG_5693 (resized).JPGIMG_5693 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

I haven't read this thread. I just scrolled down to the bottom to say I dislike it.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

And who said anything about Star Wars on this thread. Could be talking about Dialed in or Spider man? Don't assume.

More of an educated guess, as you have been quite vocal against those that have been negative about SW and now we have this thread?

Like I said above though, if it is anything to do with SW, don't let it worry you, long as you like the game that's all that matters, I have brought games that have been hammered with bad first impressions/reviews more than once, IM when everyone hated it, Avatar, BM66, I am sure ill buy another game that's crucified by Pinside at some point

Quoted from ASOA:

When you do it makes an ass out of you and you. I think that's how the saying goes.

And its "assuming makes an ass out of you and me" its a play on words…assume (ass) (u) (me). Get it?

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

And its "assuming makes an ass out of you and me" its a play on words…assume (ass) (u) (me). Get it?

He gets it. He thought he was being clever by taking a tired cliche and repurposing it from an attempt at wisdom into another piece of monkey poo he could hurl at those who have so viciously wronged him by having an opinion on a pinball machine.

#41 6 years ago

You said poo.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-reviews-from-people-who-do-not-own-or-have-not-played-the-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.