(Topic ID: 3640)

Bad news for IFPA8

By emo

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

This is really tough for both organisers and players to find out at such short notice.

RE: "The National Gaming Board of Sweden informed us this Tuesday that the pinball tournaments Balacs Pinball Party and IFPA8 World Pinball Championships are illegal according to Swedish law"

I guess that makes it difficult to run any tournaments in Sweden. Foul I say!!!!

#2 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

The National Gaming Board of Sweden informed us this Tuesday that the pinball tournaments Balacs Pinball Party and IFPA8 World Pinball Championships are illegal according to Swedish law ...

Where is Roger Sharpe when you need him?

#3 12 years ago

Whaaaaaaaa ???? I guess they will have to go across the border to Norway.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Where is Roger Sharpe when you need him?

'Stachey to the rescue!
    Maybe Black_Rose could fill in for him ('Stach-wise)..?
    I don't know if BR could pull off Sharpe's squirm dance though...
    'Blueberry Shine' to the rescue!

#5 12 years ago

Yeah! It's the talk of the whole Cascadian pinball scene! Some of us are actually there right now! I imagine they're Not Happy with this at all!

Here's the formal announcement:
    ==================================================
    Announcement about Balacs Pinball Party and IFPA8 World Pinball Championships

The National Gaming Board of Sweden informed us this Tuesday that the pinball tournaments Balacs Pinball Party and IFPA8 World Pinball Championships are illegal according to Swedish law, and thus we need a license to be able to run the tournaments. They also filed a report at the local police about the tournaments, and that they would be considered illegal if played without a license. We spent the Wednesday to collect all the documents from different sources needed for the application, and yesterday morning Stockholm Pinball (which is the legal entity in Sweden that have the closest connection to the tournaments) applied for this license. Normally the handling timeframe is one month, but the gaming board gave our application the highest priority and rapid treatment.

However, about two hours ago they informed us that they will not be able to make the decision in time for this weekend (since they closed about two hours ago). This means that we cannot run the Balacs Pinball Party tournament this weekend without breaking the law. They also requested additional information from us, and we are now working on providing them with this information. They will continue to work on our application Monday morning, and well before that we will have given them the information requested. We still have hope that we can save the IFPA8 tournament without having to postpone or cancel the tournament.

The National Gaming Board of Sweden have also informed us that winning prizes consisting of money or having a value of money at pinball tournaments are not allowed by Swedish law. The IFPA World Pinball Championships will thus not pay out any prizes. If the gaming board will grant us a license, we will have to play for the honor and glory alone. Information about the outcome of the application, and the economical consequences for the participants, will be announced as soon as we know how things will turn out.

Regards
    /Patrik Bodin
    IFPA Country Director, Sweden
    [email protected]
    ====================================================

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

The National Gaming Board of Sweden informed us this Tuesday that the pinball tournaments Balacs Pinball Party and IFPA8 World Pinball Championships are illegal according to Swedish law

Great, now I have to cancel my plane tickets and hotel room reservations.

#7 12 years ago

How about using any and all monetary "prizes"/entry fees as donations to the charity of the winners choices ? Charity is not illegal nor is a permit or license needed for a fundraising event (advertise it as such .. a fundraiser for charity not a tournament). Places do that here in the US all the time so as not to be illegal gambling venues. I hope you get things worked out. I have a close lady friend in Stavanger (Sandnes) Norway who often visits Sweden.

#8 12 years ago

And I thought things were getting bad in the US. How dare they take pinball...I would like the government here to try that...PINHEADS UNITE!!!

#9 12 years ago

That's terrible! Why has pinball been so misunderstood for so long?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-news-for-ifpa8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.