• Latest reply 8 years ago by Law
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

45001902.jpg
pindata2.png
Pinballs_based_on_movies_-_Sheet1.pdf (PDF preview)
Untitled_spreadsheet_-_Sheet1.pdf (PDF preview)
Capture.png
Untitled.png
rank.png
#1 8 years ago

Inspired by this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sure-that-move-sucked-but-its-a-great-game

I proposed the following method to determine which titles are bad movies but good pinball machines:
1) For each title, find the Pinside rank.
2) For each title, find the Rotten Tomato ranking; where the machine represents a trilogy, I took the simple path of taking the first of the trilogy.
3) Add the Pinside rank and the Rotten Tomato numbers together. The lower the number, the more the title represents a good pinball design overcoming a bad movie.

I automatically included all Pinside top 100 titles that are derived from a movie. I also included a few suggestions from that thread.

Some observations:
a) No model is perfect. By this model, for example, machines in the Pinside top 10 have a very good chance of finishing well here even if the movie is completely awesome, such as Lord of the Rings. (Remember, we're trying to find a bad movie associated with a good pin.)
b) By this model, some machines never had a chance. A Pinside ranking outside the top 100 pretty much keeps the title off the top of this list no matter how awful the movie is.
c) Cost has not been considered here.

rank.pngrank.png

---------------------------------------------

Based on EchoVictor's suggestion, I have removed "good movies". Rotten Tomatoes defines a movie as "rotten" if the rating is 59% of lower. So I have removed all movies that have a rating of 60 or higher. This results in the following list:
Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Observation:
a) I'm still surprised that Tron finishes so well. Might this be a case where the movie is bad, but the theme is still considered excellent?

------------------------------------------------

See this post for a version with data that has been normalized:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-movies-good-pins-the-nerds-data-view#post-2713073

#2 8 years ago

Nice!!!! If I find some time, I'll try to make a score of the best films/trilogys/whatever and its pins, from best to worst ranking!

#3 8 years ago

Orson,

neat chart. However, to be fair, if your goal is to show data of "Bad Movie but Good Pin", I think you should eliminate the "good" movies.

Say, re-do the chart without movies with an RT score over 50?

Later,
EV

#4 8 years ago

I'm not sure that your scoring method quite works--the tomato score ends up being the higher the better, but pinside rankings end up being the lower the better. You'll need to invert one of the numbers.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm not sure that your scoring method quite works--the tomato score ends up being the higher the better, but pinside rankings end up being the lower the better. You'll need to invert one of the numbers.

I think the idea is that a lower final score is better. Thus, the worse the movie is rated and the highest it is rated on pinside yields the lowest score. If a movie is rated well or a pin is ranked low then it will get a much higher score.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Say, re-do the chart without movies with an RT score over 50?
Later,
EV

I took your suggestion and updated the first post. Sadly, your beloved Transformers qualifies as a "rotten" movie.

#7 8 years ago

^ LOL.....and the first movie was the only one that was palatable!

If instead of using your "first movie sets the score" rule, and actually average the scores of the 3 movies represented by the pin (TF, Revenge of the Fallen, and Dark of the Moon), the score gets even lower...

TF = 57
RotF = 19
DotM = 35
AVERAGE = 37

Still doesn't change it's "Bad Movie: Good Pin" ranking....

Later,
EV

#8 8 years ago

*statistics police!*

Hmmm...after looking at the results (below) perhaps you chose not to do this on purpose, but wouldn't it be more accurate to equally weigh the rotten tomatoes and pinside ratings?

To do that you'd need to do a bit of adjustment since the pinside ratings appear to be on a scale from 1-300 or so and the RT ratings only range from 1-59, otherwise the differing ranges would skew the results when the numbers are added together. I think that's why Tron finished so high on your list, because it was effectively a "pretty good" movie in the bad movie line-up and that wasn't being fully accounted for.

I know...i know...its not intended to be perfect model. ..sorry, couldn't help myself. I saw "Nerd's data" and thought I'd waste a few minutes on it.

Anyway, I think this is accurate, but admittedly it has some "interesting" results (Flintstones?) so please correct me if something looks off...

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

#9 8 years ago

@nman It's all good. I'll be the first to admit the limitations of this. It was just a quick assessment. Perhaps you are volunteering to pick this up and develop this further?

If you really want to get picky, the lowest Rotten Tomatoes rating of any movie in the database is not actually 0 or 1.

#10 8 years ago

The math major and general numbers geek in me find this thread to be a wet dream!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Perhaps you are volunteering to pick this up and develop this further?

Um........well........................

Quoted from Collin:

The math major and general numbers geek in me find this thread to be a wet dream!

Oh look! A volunteer! And with a math background to boot

Its funny though, this thread did actually prompt me to go look up both the rotten tomatoes and pinside ratings for Lost in Space just out of sheer morbid curiosity. 27% and #308 if anyone was wondering. I didn't even realize pinside bothered to rank them after 300.

#12 8 years ago

I would add in the IPDB and IMDB ratings for the machines/movies in question as well, weighted of course. Because more data == better, right?

#13 8 years ago

IMDB ratings are not very accurate. Neither is Metacritic. I have heard that Rotten Tomatoes is the most accurate for something like this.

#14 8 years ago

There are probably some movies that you missed. Black Hole is one. It has a RT score of 43% and a Pinside score of #111.

Edit: I see you only did the top 100 pins.

#15 8 years ago

There should be a complete list and then we could see the inverse. Good movies, bad pins.

Really you don't need any complicated math. Take the definition of bad movie like you said and just rank the related pins according to pinside score. Pretty simple.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from nman:

*statistics police!*
Hmmm...after looking at the results (below) perhaps you chose not to do this on purpose, but wouldn't it be more accurate to equally weigh the rotten tomatoes and pinside ratings?
To do that you'd need to do a bit of adjustment since the pinside ratings appear to be on a scale from 1-300 or so and the RT ratings only range from 1-59, otherwise the differing ranges would skew the results when the numbers are added together. I think that's why Tron finished so high on your list, because it was effectively a "pretty good" movie in the bad movie line-up and that wasn't being fully accounted for.
I know...i know...its not intended to be perfect model. ..sorry, couldn't help myself. I saw "Nerd's data" and thought I'd waste a few minutes on it.
Anyway, I think this is accurate, but admittedly it has some "interesting" results (Flintstones?) so please correct me if something looks off...
Capture.PNG

Instead of increasing the Rotten Tomatoes ranking to equal the size of the pinside rankings, one should probably find a common denominator across the two differing sized scales. maybe by percentage of list? that weights it more relative to its place in each category across different size populations.

For example:
JM is 14/59 tomatoes and 66/300 pinside. percentage-wise relative to the list its on, JM is at 23.7% on tomaotes and 33% on Pinside. total score (added percentages) = 56.7

CONGO is 22/59 tomatoes (22.6%) and 46/300 pinside (15%). total score (added percentages) = 37

thoughts?

#17 8 years ago

That should be come out effectively the same as what I did. It's just scaling both up/down to 100 instead of one up to 300. I think anyway....can't really check at the moment

#18 8 years ago

Ok so I listed every SS game based on a movie. I listed them with their pinside score, ipdb score, and Rotten Tomatoes score. For a rating, I divided the RT score by ten and added all three together. I don't know what this score represents really but there you go. Some games don't have pinside scores and one movie didn't have a rotten tomatoes score.

First image is sorted by pinside score from highest to lowest

Untitled spreadsheet - Sheet1.pdfUntitled spreadsheet - Sheet1.pdf

#19 8 years ago

The systems you're comparing aren't equivalent, and I would hazard a guess that the ratings distributions of the systems don't align too well. Both pinside and rotten tomatoes look to be pretty skewed towards the higher end of the ratings scale with a median score around 70% of the scale but I'd bet those distributions don't look too similar. Heck, it looks like the pinside top 230 have a rating over 7.00.

In any case, you should be using the pinside rating, not the ranking for the films in question. Or I suppose you could try and figure out the imdb ranking, it's probably available somewhere.

#20 8 years ago

Second image is sorted by the combo rating of the pinside score, ipdb score, and RT score.

Pinballs based on movies - Sheet1.pdfPinballs based on movies - Sheet1.pdf

#21 8 years ago

Some interesting observations:
Shadow and Tron are the best games in the lower half of the combo ratings which means their movies pulled them down the most.
Meteor is a really terrible movie according to RT, which means I may have to watch it.
IPDB ratings seem really terrible. They are all in the same range with very few games going below 7. There is a lot more range to pinside rankings.

I might add in EMs and see what happens.

#22 8 years ago

discuss

#23 8 years ago

There should be a distinction between actual licensed themes and shared names. AFAIK black hole isn't licensed. If you want to go the more inclusive route, there are additional titles like genie, tmnt, super Mario Bros, street fighter, bugs bunny's birthday ball, etc. That had a movie come out right around the time the machine did.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

There should be a distinction between actual licensed themes and shared names. AFAIK black hole isn't licensed. If you want to go the more inclusive route, there are additional titles like genie, tmnt, Super Mario Bros, street fighter, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, etc. That had a movie come out right around the time the machine did.

Some pins are solely based on the movie, like let's say ID4 or Congo or WaterWorld..... some are just not, and those shall not be computed..... this isn't a good example but, for instance, the Walking Dead pin is not based on the TV show, but on the comic books.

#25 8 years ago

Why are we adding scores together when the idea is to compare the pins to their movies? Especially when one list is "lower is better" and the other is the opposite?

Here's what I came up with the other day but didn't get around to posting. An extension of the OP's original list, I'm not going to do it over to include all the other, sometimes tenuous, movie/pin combos that have been since identified...

pindata2.pngpindata2.png

The number of games that happen to be ranked between two given movie pins is irrelevant, so I re-ranked the games 1 to 29 according to their scores, and reversed the RT rankings so lower # means better in both cases. Then I computed the difference between the two rankings for each game.

Worst movie with best pin: Shadow
Best movie with worst pin: DESW
Pins where both the movie and pin are bad or good are in the middle.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Why are we adding scores together when the idea is to compare the pins to their movies? Especially when one list is "lower is better" and the other is the opposite?

Exactly. This list aims to capture titles with the best pin (low Pinside rank number) with the worst movie (low Rotten Tomato rating).

I like your rank method, which as you noted, also captures the worst pin with the best movie, although I expect there is less interest in these.

Shadow and Congo still seem to be best pin worst movie by most methods!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Law:

There should be a distinction between actual licensed themes and shared names. AFAIK black hole isn't licensed. If you want to go the more inclusive route, there are additional titles like genie, tmnt, Super Mario Bros, street fighter, Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, etc. That had a movie come out right around the time the machine did.

Yeah I thought Black Hole was based on the movie but I was wrong. All the rest though are based on movies.

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

the Walking Dead pin is not based on the TV show, but on the comic books.

This really isn't relative to this thread but the Walking Dead is based on the pin. It says right on the backglass AMC The Walking Dead.

Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I guess we're doing it to for discussion.

Quoted from nosro:

Exactly. This list aims to capture titles with the best pin (low Pinside rank number) with the worst movie (low Rotten Tomato rating).

Well if you want the best game relative to the badness of the movie, wouldn't Meteor be the best since the jump between the quality of the movie and the pin is so vast. And it is based on the movie.

45001902.jpg45001902.jpg

And as far as worst pin based on good movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind is a worse pin than DESW and a higher rated movie than Star Wars.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

this isn't a good example but, for instance, the Walking Dead pin is not based on the TV show, but on the comic books

That's not correct, I own most of the comics and there are a lot of notable differences. There is no Darryl/ crossbow in the comics. There is no terminus, I don't recall any significant tunnels, they never go to the CDC from what I can remember. I'm not even sure there's a well walker in the comics. It's been a while since I read through- thanks for the impetus!

The clincher is the AMC branding and cabinet art though. Definitely from the show.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,419.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.95
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-movies-good-pins-the-nerds-data-view and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.