(Topic ID: 235672)

Bad EM Youtube videos

By phil-lee

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Yeah, I'm whining. I just tried to look at about a dozen of youtube videos of old EMs and couldn't take anymore. Bad lighting with a bad camera reminded me of a 30's horror flick, which was better. James Brown playing on a Western Theme machine where you couldn't hear the bells or chimes, who knows what it had. The "ratcheting hand" ones where the person tries to capture everything, up to the backglass,down to the play field, then up, then focus on the players face, might as well drink white liquor and ride a roller coaster. Or they don't show the game in play at all, just a kid home movie dressed in a cute outfit standing in front of a machine draining ball after ball.
    The absolute worst is the "one handed player" trying to play a game and film at the same time, don't even waste your time, its sdtm City making the game look bad.
    I also hate the "Talkers" who DONT EVEN PLAY THE THING. Or the guy with the glass off doing hand signals while hitting switches and slinging the ball around, sort of a silent movie TNT Presentation. Bad background music, too loud, doesn't fit the Theme, or smoky ballroom dance music that's annoying. I want to hear the machine, every buzz and click, not Desi Arnaz second album.

Did I miss anything? Yeah, the "ball view angle" where you cant see anything but glare. The "Over the players shoulder" camera person distracted by everything and capturing little of the actual machine.

Whew! Thanks for hearing me out. I will be filming my few machines and submitting them soon, can't be any worse then the mess on there now.

The best videos? PAPA, of course.

#3 5 years ago

You are right, "the crisp sound" is a great description. Use 3 microphones placed in strategic places run through a mixer, that will do it and its not difficult.

#10 5 years ago

Just a rant. The bad ones helped me identify things to avoid when I do make a few. Briefly;
    1. No music, period.
    2. Use an overhead angle, a view of the backbox is optional, even if it has cute monkeys on it.
    3. Record the sound of the machine clearly.
    4. 3 ball game is preferable to me to keep it brief.
    5. If it is a rare game keep the Tour brief and don't try to explain everything (leave that to Todd Tuckey)
    6. Do a few test runs to get the light right.
    7 Resist the urge to incorporate cute kids, wives, dogs or your new Vette into it. If you do, label it accurately " Boston Terrier plays pinball".
    These rules are for me, by the way, not anyone else. Do what you want to do and the rest of us will wade through it.

#12 5 years ago

Man, that's the way you do it! The narrator has "That Voice" for the Era of this pin, if I find out its AI gonna cry. The video makes me want to own this pin, basically shopping while looking at various EMs, success.I didn't know Harbour Lights had the lateral ball shooters just like Merry Widow, these are frisky.
    Thanks for the lesson. Can anybody outdo this? I doubt it, but they may equal it....
    More EM videos!

#13 5 years ago

As a side note, 90 percent of the time I search and view EM videos, PAPA included. The other 10 percent would be rare early-mid era SS.

I guess my frustration stems from the lack of variety for some of the older ones, many times there's only one example, which I should be thankful exists at all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-em-youtube-videos?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.