IMG_2809-880.JPG
IMG_2818.JPG
IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG
IMG_6662.JPG
IMG_6667.JPG
IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6665.JPG
There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

First off, I’m not a regular E-bay buyer – maybe 5 purchases in the past 10 years. I only look to E-bay as a last resort.

I screwed up the art work on my Trident apron a few weeks ago. I sanded it down and re-finished it in gloss white. I looked everywhere for a new decal and found one on E-bay from classicarcades. The guy showed the correct looking decal (blue and red) but then showed an example of how to install it using a different decal (red and black). I didn’t think much about it. The example showed a clear decal with a clear protective film. I thought that’s what I was getting. Instead I received what looks like a paper sticker with a white opaque background and no clear protective film. It’s not even glossy.

The guy said he would only refund my money if I ship it back to him. That’ll cost me over 6.00 shipping plus my time and gas to go to the post office. So it will cost me 10.00 to get back 20.00.

Has anyone had any luck going through E-bay to settle a claim like this?

Thanks

Bob

#2 9 years ago

Ebay's new policy is that the seller has to pay for return shipping. Open an item dispute through eBay and I'm sure he will just refund in full instead. He doesn't have a lot of options at that point.

#3 9 years ago

Any of his graphic stuff is junk, not sure about the other parts, but definitely stay away from labels, overlays, stickers... Wrong colors, not laminated, improperly vectored.

#4 9 years ago

LesManley is right... 100% buyer guarantee now. The seller can either pay for you to ship it back or just do a full refund. If I were a seller and it's something that can be remade and low cost, I'm cutting bait and refunding the buyer.

#5 9 years ago

leave neg feedback if you have that, state your reasoning.......

i have had to do it on between 1 to 2% of trans over the yrs- rarely the items are not as described- i dont put up with line "oh im sorry just send it back" for the reasons you mentioned- its a pain in the ass.

#6 9 years ago

Does leaving negative feedback really do anything? I thought they can delete it anyway.

Getting through to E-bay is also a pain. They don't even have e-mail. When I start a claim it takes me to Pay-pal. I don't have Pay-pal and I don't want to open an account. I can't seem to get to E-bay claims.

Bob

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

First off, I’m not a regular E-bay buyer – maybe 5 purchases in the past 10 years. I only look to E-bay as a last resort.
I screwed up the art work on my Trident apron a few weeks ago. I sanded it down and re-finished it in gloss white. I looked everywhere for a new decal and found one on E-bay from classicarcades. The guy showed the correct looking decal (blue and red) but then showed an example of how to install it using a different decal (red and black). I didn’t think much about it. The example showed a clear decal with a clear protective film. I thought that’s what I was getting. Instead I received what looks like a paper sticker with a white opaque background and no clear protective film. It’s not even glossy.
The guy said he would only refund my money if I ship it back to him. That’ll cost me over 6.00 shipping plus my time and gas to go to the post office. So it will cost me 10.00 to get back 20.00.
Thanks
Bob

Why some much money to return a decal? 1st class mail. Tops $1.40 or so

I have never had any issues with classicarcades. Had 1 issue and it was corrected promptly.

#9 9 years ago

well, neg feedback tends helps others because people wont bid or buy if their getting junk product or ripped off, or they wont bid/ buy for very much. (i would not at least)

ebay is great, overall on the whole- say 90 plus % of the time. good to fair deals and a huge selection of product. however when it goes to shit, and some times it dose, its a headache- a big headache.

#10 9 years ago

Can you post a pic of what you got? I'll be restoring a Trident soon, so I'm curious.

#11 9 years ago

I had similar problems with some F-14 decals I purchased from that seller. His stuff is garbage. Sorry you had issues too. File an ebay claim like the others have said.

#12 9 years ago

I have had problems as well. They did send me a new set, but their customer service is horrible. I can't believe they stay in business. Pathetic.

#13 9 years ago

Does leaving negative feedback really do anything? I thought they can delete it anyway.
Getting through to E-bay is also a pain. They don't even have e-mail. When I start a claim it takes me to Pay-pal. I don't have Pay-pal and I don't want to open an account. I can't seem to get to E-bay claims.
Bob

The seller can't delete the negative feedback. It will stay up there. If you don't have Paypal, how did you pay? If you didn't use Paypal, your chances of getting a full refund just dropped significantly.

#14 9 years ago

"You get what you pay for."
jackass.JPGjackass.JPG

#15 9 years ago

I'm having a problem with him as well. My plexi was broken during shipping. 2 months later and 2 promises that a new one was shipped and still no replacement.

#16 9 years ago

The sticker is 8 inches by 20 inches. I don't think it'll fit in an envelope. - unless I fold it up.

Stern_Stars_Apron_Decal_Set.jpgStern_Stars_Apron_Decal_Set.jpg

There seems to be quite a few people here who have had problems with this guy - I wish I would have searched his company here first. I would have never bought from him.

I paid for it with my credit card through Pay-pal - same as all my on-line purchases.

Quoted from o-din:

What does that mean? I paid 20.00 and got crap.

#17 9 years ago

Ebay is really horrible IMO. A car dealer tried to rip me off and I contacted ebay about it. They didn't care. I also explained, in detail, how this dealer was screwing with the transaction to avoid paying ebay and they didn't care. Great stuff. Avoid ebay if you can. And classic arcades has a long history with many unhappy people.

#18 9 years ago

What does that mean? I paid 20.00 and got crap.

It means "this is the actual piece of crap that you will receive". Been there, done that. Spent about the same as you. Glad it didn't cost me more.

#19 9 years ago

Jeff McAfee has made so much imperfect crap that's "spot on". He has no attention to detail and is really horrible about fixing his own screw ups. I had no luck after sending him multiple emails and giving him plenty of time to respond. He dragged on and basically just ignored me after a while. I just gave up since it wasn't worth the hassle--lesson learned. I don't even bother looking at whatever he is selling anymore, even if it's something I might need.

#20 9 years ago

My decals never even showed up. I had to go through the ebay process to get a refund. Took about a month. Never buying from that seller again.

#21 9 years ago

Buying from this company is literally like playing Russian Roulette.

I've been told a way to leverage him is by using his distributors. He listens to them.

#22 9 years ago

negative feedback eventually catches up with sellers, their fees go up, they lose volume and profits.
open a dispute, return item - item not as described, it takes a week you'll get refunded.
dont fall for tricks that week trying to get you to agree to anything HIS terms, negating the return.
seller communication wanting YOU to pay return shipping for bad product, unsatisfactory!
save the feedback for after getting refunded, you get ONE chance to make this all happen.

most sellers are pretty good and havent had any problems, I've had to do 3 return claims from over 110 transactions this last year, there are some good deals, and once in a while you get a bummer.

#23 9 years ago

open a case and ebay will force him to refund your money. he will be left with negative feedback if he does not respond. you can even offer to send them back but never actually send them back. ebay is actually very bad for the sellers as i have sold on ebay quite a bit. i know the games on both sides as well. sellers get scammed worse then buyers. sellers can be forced to get free product fairly easily and ebay/paypal will remove the funds right from his account. there are cases where the buyer sent the seller back an item with peices missing or never sent it back at all with the buyer getting refunded.

im not saying that he sent you good product im just saying it will be fairly easy to get your money back if you do not like the item.

#24 9 years ago

I paid for it with my credit card through Pay-pal

If you used your credit card you can open a dispute with PayPal! Open the dispute and advise you refuse to pay shipping charges back to him or any at all for a listing that was misleading (if that is what you're stating). PayPal will almost always side with the buyer, this is the issue sellers have with ebaY/PayPal!

#25 9 years ago

makes you wonder how the crap gets to be a licensed product?

#26 9 years ago

I got some decals and he honoured paying the refund when he received them back as they were very average. But I was out of pocket for postage back to him. I would put in a paypal claim as at least it is the paper trail for the claim.

If you leave feedback, don't make it personal but be honest, as well as the ratings as they are all warnings for the many others that may buy.

#27 9 years ago

Thanks
Bob

Get one of these they are screen printed http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Stern.html

#28 9 years ago

I bought and sold a lot of stuff on E-bay years and years ago. But then I got burned a few times and quit - now I only look there as a last resort. It'll be a long time before I go back.

20.00 may not seem like much but when you're retired and on a pinball budget it can mean a lot.

I'm trying every avenue I can to get my money back but E-bay and Pay-pal don't make it easy. E-bay doesn't have e-mail and pay-pal won't except my e-mail because I don't have an account. Next week I'll get on the phone. If that doesn't work, I may contact my credit card company and dispute the charges there. Maybe they will help.

I found Pinball Rescue but they want 40.00 shipped because they are in Australia. And they are closed until after Jan. 12. And he only takes Pay-pal.

I never thought something so simple would get so complicated.

Bob

#29 9 years ago

Bob

in "my Ebay" > purchase history, is where to use dropdown box for "more actions" and initiate a return item. once started they do want contact-communication with the seller first to try to resolve it, but in a week Ebay-PayPal will refund your account, without you having to pay to ship the junk back either. that's how to contact Ebay for it, its all automated, and not having PayPal account can make it a little more difficult.. but you did use your card through PayPal, so should be ok.

Ebay does push to get everyone on PayPal accounts, if "return item" dropdown is taking you to PayPal it's part of their (futility!) automation (coercion!) routines.. very frustrating and insulting.

Ebay owns PayPal but will try to operate like 2 different companies, when they are very linked.
I've had to call Ebay and PayPal about a transaction, takes a little site digging to find phone numbers and usually on HOLD a long wait, they'll both find by transaction number item description.
-you may need to go that route too for not actually having a PayPal account, both divisions of the same company will see the initiated return request when you're talking with them about it.

advice tidbit: open a separate free checking debit card account to use with PayPal, only put money in it just before purchases. dont really like or trust them, is almost a necessary evil online shopping.

said it before, deserved negative feedback will catch up with sellers, fees go up. I'll only do it if they really FAIL, which happens pretty rarely, most sellers do try to make good on a bad deal.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

jackass.JPG 5 KB

See everyone, Jeff can't even get his own face to look right...

#31 9 years ago

I bought and sold a lot of stuff on E-bay years and years ago. But then I got burned a few times and quit - now I only look there as a last resort. It'll be a long time before I go back.
20.00 may not seem like much but when you're retired and on a pinball budget it can mean a lot.
I'm trying every avenue I can to get my money back but E-bay and Pay-pal don't make it easy. E-bay doesn't have e-mail and pay-pal won't except my e-mail because I don't have an account. Next week I'll get on the phone. If that doesn't work, I may contact my credit card company and dispute the charges there. Maybe they will help.
I found Pinball Rescue but they want 40.00 shipped because they are in Australia. And they are closed until after Jan. 12. And he only takes Pay-pal.
I never thought something so simple would get so complicated.
Bob

Sounds like you need the $20.00 more then you need a decal for an apron on a pinball machine.

#32 9 years ago

Its a $20 lesson. This guy has a long history of crappy products. Give detailed negative feedback and move on. Maybe clearcoat the sticker after installing?

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Its a $20 lesson. This guy has a long history of crappy products. Give detailed negative feedback and move on. Maybe clearcoat the sticker after installing?

It's a free lesson. No reason he can't get the $20 refunded.

#34 9 years ago

If all the people in this thread would have taken a minute to leave negative feedback and rate the transaction out of 4 stars, he probably would have a suspended account right now. He can't leave negative feedback back for you so do what is right to help others in the future.

#35 9 years ago

I bought whirlwind insert decal set around 40$ I only needed the insert multiplier decals. Installed them they looked ok waxed playfield and ink came off decals. Classic arcades needs better and full description of products for sale . I contacted him to ask if he sold decals without ink up and did not ask for a refund several e- mails and no response. I purchased some other decals and slingshot plastics and they were ok. I left negative feedback on a sticker I purchased because of the no response to emails .The guy sent me some angry e-mail about baning me from buying his stuff .

#36 9 years ago

The only issue I have had with Classic Arcades is that when I buy multiple items he never combines shipping even though it is listed they do.

#37 9 years ago

look, send it back to him, pay the shipping - use your gas... leave whatever feedback appropriate (assume negative in this case) get your refund and move on. Really....

2 options with ebay dealings:

1. deal with this sort of crap/hassle and live and learn from it and move on
2. don't buy stuff on ebay

simple!

- you are lucky its just $6 and a gal or 2 of fuel you are "out"... THIS IS A NO BRAINER.... You definitely made your point and POINT WELL TAKEN, (thanks for calling him out) ... that is, "careful dealing with classicarcades on ebay" GOT IT!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

look, send it back to him, pay the shipping - use your gas... leave whatever feedback appropriate (assume negative in this case) get your refund and move on. Really....
2 options with ebay dealings:
1. deal with this sort of crap/hassle and live and learn from it and move on
2. don't buy stuff on ebay
simple!
- you are lucky its just $6 and a gal or 2 of fuel you are "out"... THIS IS A NO BRAINER.... You definitely made your point and POINT WELL TAKEN, (thanks for calling him out) ... that is, "careful dealing with classicarcades on ebay" GOT IT!

#39 9 years ago

Jeff is a Pinside member. Popcorn waiting to see if he responds to this thread. I am sure he won't.

#40 9 years ago

Here's my story. I made a purchase through ebay. I never received the item. I contacted Jeff and explained that tracking indicated "cannot deliver as addressed". I verified he had the correct address. He NEVER REPLIED to my emails. I contacted Ebay and explained. Their reply? "We see it marked as shipped" so they sided with the seller! (Classic Arcades) Why did they side with the seller? Well... the only reason I could see was that the seller pays them lots of seller fees of course! If you ask me..I would say that Classic Arcades and Ebay don't give a crap about the purchaser. It is well noted that if you have any discrepancy with either you are likely hosed. I bitched to ebay, wasted about an hour of my time, just to get a "one time" refund. F both of them if you ask me. I will never buy from Classic Arcades and am ore then fine being "blacklisted" with that schmuck!

#41 9 years ago

Response to the original post. The buyer made plenty of assumptions without ever asking me any questions. The auction was clearly for a stern stars apron. No where did I state it was clear vinyl. the example shows clear transfer tape being removed from the decal which has a white background

ebay.com link: STERN STARS Pinball Machine Apron Decal Set

They buyer purchased it for a trident pinball machine. A quick check on ipdb shows the same design.
I did not advertise it for trident.

I do not sell clear apron decals like the company in Australia did. My apron decals have the background color on them. And they were not printed on paper. I told the buyer that numerous timse that it is premium vinyl with permanent adhesive. He insisted that it was paper and he is totally in the wrong.

The decal is die cut and looks proper when installed. It is not paper and crap like the buyer states.

Jeff
Classic Arcades Inc.

#42 9 years ago

Tough situation. I know that Jeff has come under fire a few times for matches on products - but in this case, I feel the eBay listing is pretty clear. It hasn't been modified in about 9 months - so it's not like he went out and edited the listing to clarify anything, or cover his tracks.

I don't blame Jeff for wanting you to return the product at your cost before providing a refund. This is not a case of SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) in my eyes. It seems more like buyers remorse. Either the product isn't what you expected, or you changed your mind - but appropriate information was provided to determine what you were getting, and you had an opportunity to ask questions.

Unfortunately, places like Walmart and Amazon are horrible for small businesses. Small businesses can't absorb every return for any reason with a smile on our face.

At least, we can't do that if we intend to stay in business. And if we don't stay in business, who is going to make the products you need to support your hobby, or who is going to provide the services you need?

#43 9 years ago

To me a decal has a clear background – a sticker has an opaque background. I made the assumption I was getting a decal (like the ad states). If your ad would have said opaque white sticker I would never have bought it. Why would I spend 4 days re-finishing my apron then cover it with a sticker?

The example shows a gloss white background – my sticker has a flat white background. You say it’s vinyl – I call a spade a spade – it looks like paper, it feels like paper. Why is it that the backing material it is stuck to has a glossy finish and the sticker has a flat finish? Why is it that the backing material will not take a pencil mark but the sticker will?

You say I should not have bought it for my Trident – It will still look like crap if it was on a Stars – or any other machine.

Why don’t you man-up and refund my money.

IMG_2747.JPGIMG_2747.JPG
#44 9 years ago

Sounds to me like the seller offered a refund if you return it. Just like any store, you have to return the item to get money back. If you don't like it, send it back, if it's not worth it.....then just forget it.

i look at the auction and it looks white to me, not clear.

#45 9 years ago

Why is it that the backing material it is stuck to has a glossy finish and the sticker has a flat finish? Why is it that the backing material will not take a pencil mark but the sticker will?

IMG_2747.JPG 120 KB

The backing paper appears to be wax, much like any backing paper to a sticker/decal/whatever. That's what they usually look like, glossy.

#46 9 years ago

I bought an expensive "5 stars" truck cover for a new Silverado and it didn't fit worth a darn. Way, way off. After emailing pics to have to prove how badly it (didn't) fit, the company wanted me to send it back at MY expense, charge a 15% re-stocking fee, and another deduction because they deemed it was dirty. I put it on my freshly washed and waxed truck and took great care not to get it dirty in the very possibility that it wouldn't fit. I used PayPal to buy it and after telling them my story and sending them pictures , THEY DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO BACK ME UP. Maybe eBay will help you out but don't waste your time expecting any help from PayPal. They suck.

#47 9 years ago

I looked at your picture (above) and looked at the picture in Jeff's eBay link, and I cannot tell where you received something different than what was advertised.

I have purchased items from Jeff in the past, insert decals for a Diner to be specific. They did not line up as nicely as I would have liked, but they still look better than nothing at all. The way I look at it, something is better than nothing. And Jeff is the provider of something, where otherwise there would be nothing.

Install the $20 decal, and then look for a replacement. It could end up being 1 or 2 years before you can get a replacement made of clear vinyl. Or, maybe you could convince Jeff to do a 1 off decal for you for say $200 or so. Point is, there is likely less than 3 people on the planet currently looking for Stern Trident clear vinyl. I don't think Jeff will want to make just 1 for $20.

You said it yourself, that you went to eBay as a last resort. I take that as meaning you could not find it elsewhere.

@oldschoolbob--You and I don't have any feud, and I'm not looking to start one. Truly, I don't mean any disrespect with my above post. You, and others, may give me a "thumbs down" and I will not be offended. I wish you and your family a Happy and prosperous New Year!

Best regards,

Tom

#48 9 years ago

John,

I don’t think his listing is clear at all. He calls it a decal – not a sticker. Which lead me to believe it would have a clear background. Or at least a glossy background.

This is NOT buyers remorse and I haven’t changed my mind – I still need an apron decal. But you are correct that it is not what I expected. I expected a decal (like the ad states) – I got a sticker.

I might have even considered using it if it had a nice gloss finish. But this has a dull flat finish. I’m not building a show quality Trident. I’m simply trying to get this old machine in good working condition. I think if I install this sticker it will look like crap. And because it will take a pencil mark it will look even worse in a couple of months.

I think we could do without people in business that rip us off and don’t stand behind their products or services. When I was in business I did everything I could to make sure the customer was satisfied. Even if I lost money – at least the customer was always happy.

#49 9 years ago

Just wanted to add ebay Customer service phone # is 1-866-540-3229, Hope this helps you, trying to get a number on the sight is horrible!! Good Luck!

#50 9 years ago

In this case the product you received does look just like the one in the ebay auction. So despite the less than perfect record for this seller I don't see the problem. You can see in the ebay pictures that it is not clear.

I take back my comments from the post above. Let this be a lesson to look very closely at pictures when you are a buyer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-deal-from-e-bay-seller-classicarcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.