Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

45b75cf45981c935875e227bdb566a81dbfd241c (resized).jpg
    a7cf887fa9de2c75486a2b91a023f277564a4370 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1359 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1358 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1357 (resized).JPG
    Untitled (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    GIY3 (resized).JPG
    GIY2 (resized).JPG
    GIY1 (resized).JPG
    GIY (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MJW.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Should be . 156 connectors. Most people recommend using trifurcon molex connectors instead of IDC connectors. Marco sells the connectors and and new plastic housings. I have found that a ratcheting crimping tool works best. Connections are tight and professional looking. Only strip Avery small amount off the wire or it will protrude out of the back of plastic housing after the crimp instead of being in the plastic. Do one wire at a time so you don't mix them up.This is very important. You should be able to find a tutorial on you tube or Pinside .

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Forgot to mention. Count the number of wires that are in the connector you are replacing to order the right size plastc connector. If there is a key or space not used they sell plastic plugs that go in the connector .

#5 6 years ago

I'd order extra connectors if this is your first time doing this. You'll see on the to pof the crimp terminal there is a slot that locks into the connector housing. If you put it in the wrong way it won't lock and will come out or get stuck in there.

#6 6 years ago

LTG, if he has two put two wires in the same connector slot what is the best method? Sometimes they also loop back in. I've always had trouble with that. Slot to small for two wires ...

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

LTG, if he has to put two wires in the same connector slot what is the best method? Sometimes they also loop back in. I've always had trouble with that. Slot to small for two wires ...

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I make a "Y", two wires together to form one and then stick the one in the connector.
    LTG : )

Thanks Loyd. miller, you may have to do this on some of your connectors. This is if two wires need to go in the same connector. Glad to help....

#14 6 years ago

The wire should have went in further but was tough taking a pic . I think you get the idea..

#16 6 years ago

Lay your connector yor in the jaws like this. It's the opposite of what you would think. Put wire in and close / open the ratcheting pliers quickly. If you don't it's hard to get the wire and connector to come out.

#20 6 years ago

Not sure on that one. Sorry. Hopefully someone else chimes in..

#21 6 years ago

I think that is the original style IDC connector. If so I think you need special tool. Most people say they are not as good a connection as the style I recommended previously.

#23 6 years ago

No problem . Hope it works out . Please post when done if you choose to.

1 week later
    #26 6 years ago

That sucks. Were the lights that are now out working before you repinned the connector? So now you have more G.I . Lights out than before?

#27 6 years ago

Can you check the manual to see what all connectors are used for G.I.? If you lost lighting after re pinning j -115 you would think it has to do with that connector. You did one at at a time right so none could get mixed up? Maybe the pins on the board on j-115 were damaged from heat of the connector.

#29 6 years ago

Most repair references recommend repinning the connector AND also the header pins on the board but I looked at your original pic and done see heat damage. If you repiinined the connector without mixing them up maybe the header pins on board need replaced. I've never seen it but some have said you can check them for cracks .

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'd pull the board and see if you lost through board continuity when you soldered on the new pins. Check continuity of each pin to a solder joint on a trace away from the repair area.
    LTG : )

Oh I didn't know he changed pins and connector Loyd...

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmiller1976:

Hi All - I received everything to complete this repair and in the process of completing the repair discovered that the pins have separated from the board. I am planning on removing the board and replacing these pins but in the process discovered that the plastic housing is bad as well. I looked on pinwiki for some information and found this picture and wanted to see if anyone has seen this style of connector. It seems a little cleaner and allows for doubling back the wire. Just curious what everyone thinks of this style of connector. Thanks!

There it is. .... Sorry.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MJW.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-connector-question-gi-lighting?tu=MJW and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.