Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

We have a Funhouse (Williams 1990) pinball machine and "Rudy's" jaw stopped working. We thought it was the controller board, but traced the problem back (we think) to the main power board -- or at least the cable which brings power to the board. The output for the main power board tests 13v (good since schematics say 12v). We plug in the cable and test the other end and there's no juice coming through. What is the best way to deal with a "bad" cable. The way the wires are threaded through the machine I am hoping someone has some experience on the best way to troubleshoot/repair.

A potential added wrinkle is that the power and ground wires are in a connector with two "data" wires at the controller end, so I can't get my mind around how to fix this thing.

#2 7 years ago

Are you sure it isn't the gears? That is a common problem. The jaw motor goes through the motor board before going to the backbox are you saying the motor board isn't getting 12V?

#3 7 years ago

Q28 is the transistor on the driver board you need to test for the jaw motor

#4 7 years ago

Just to confirm the voltage reading I would test continuity on that wire. Most of the time the break will be at the connector (or a bad connection at the connector). Get a probe with a sharp point so you can punch through the insulation on the wire (you could also use a needle) and test the connection across any connectors.

If the wire is broken someplace in the middle about the only option is to start cutting tie-wraps and looking for the issue.

Quoted from MamaNiteOwl:

A potential added wrinkle is that the power and ground wires are in a connector with two "data" wires at the controller end, so I can't get my mind around how to fix this thing.

Not sure what you're asking here. Maybe a photo and more detail.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 22.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Norwalk, OH
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-connector-on-funhouse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.