• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mark-NJ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Williams River Boat from '64

Dumb question, perhaps...but I'm sure you all know:

Can a coil be "a little bit bad"? I'm having more & more issues with wonky score wheels: they just get hung up and don't advance. I've cleaned them, adjusted contacts, etc., but I'm still having issues. Wheels that were great yesterday are wonky today.

My experience with electrical circuits is that coils are either good or open...quite binary. But in a pinball machine, can these be "old & weak"? Could my issue(s) be as simple as worn out coils? I wouldn't think so, but I'm new to all of this. (not at all new to electrical circuits, though...)

Also, of the 4, I notice that 2 are original Williams coils with part numbers, while 2 appear to be replacements...

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

If the coil sleeve is worn the plunger may not travel freely even if the coil is good.
The sleeves are replaceable and cheap. Don't bother trying to clean or lubricate them.

#3 6 years ago

The sleeves do look a bit worn, no doubt. But I'm still curious if coils can be (too) weak...

#4 6 years ago

No, coils work or they don't.
Replace the sleeves.

#5 6 years ago

10-4....thanks!

The sleeves are brass, but I've read on line that plastic is better. Any truth to that? And how snugly should the solenoid's slug fit into the sleeve? Presently, it's a sloppy fit.

#6 6 years ago

Sleeves are now plastic. They used to be brass. The plunger should be just tight enough to slide freely. Coil sleeves come in different sizes, just like coils. Page 2 of the documentation available at IPDB has the coils listed as
B 26-800. Pinball Resource could sell you the proper sleeves. http://www.pbresource.com/coilwms.html

#7 6 years ago

OK...follow up question: the old sleeves are worn through in places...but they won't come out of the coils.

Does that mean I need to replace the coils? (I see that Steve sells coils with sleeves).

Thanks!

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Mark-NJ:

OK...follow up question: the old sleeves are worn through in places...but they won't come out of the coils.
Does that mean I need to replace the coils? (I see that Steve sells coils with sleeves).
Thanks!

At least you have now found the reason for the intermittent nature of your problem (the brass sleeves being worn through).

I would manhandle the old ones out with pliers and fit new plastic ones, chances are high that your problem will be resolved. I wouldn't be replacing the coils unless they show obvious signs of distress.

#9 6 years ago

If you read vid1900 guide to rebuilding flippers you'll see a couple pictures of coils destroyed when the sleeve was removed.

Like Mike from Homepin says, try to manhandle them out. If they won't come out then replace the coil, it comes with a new sleeve. Order some spare sleeves too. Steve could probably tell you all the sizes of sleeves in the game. I'd order a couple spare of each size.

#10 6 years ago

I wrecked 1 coil trying....

Spoke to Steve...he said that if the sleeves won't slide out, it's usually proof that the coil has been overheated. I just bought 4 new ones....why not, right?

#11 6 years ago

4 new coils...now those wheels ~snap~ from digit to digit! No more mushy, ambiguous rotations. Changed the flipper switches, too. They were toast!

One-by-one I'm chasing the demons from this old friend! It's playing pretty darn great!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-coils-wonky-score-wheels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.