Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bc_hex_2.png
bc_hex_1.png
bc_debug.png
BC_SWITCH_MATRIX.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 9 years ago

Hey Guys,

I'm compiling a list of things that are off/uneven with the scoring on Bad Cats.

*The most obvious to me is the 20M last ball shot. That would be better at 5M IMO.
*The second is the Jackpot bonus. Again, drop it down to something more reasonable.
*Perhaps the awarding of extra balls could be less-frequent

Anyone else have anything they wished could be changed score-wise or minor things that would make this game more balanced/enjoyable?

#2 9 years ago

Bumping this again. Yes, I'm doing a code update for this game.

#3 9 years ago

The 20m last ball shot would be better if it was toned down to something like the 5m you suggest. Although the 20m isn't completely off base since you can score 5m any ball from the fish bonus kick out if the 10x is lit.

To me the jackpot can get out of hand if it hasn't been collected in a while. It seems kinda easy if you light it as a seafood wheel award and then score it.

I still really enjoy this game despite a few scoring balance issues.

#4 9 years ago

I love my BadCats.

It'd be interesting to be able to play it with new rules.

#5 9 years ago

I would love to see an amended rom for this. Is this what you are doing or a P-ROC style change? Didn't know anyone knew how to handle rules rewrite but I can think of a few that would be fantastic while making this a game that could be playable in tournaments.

The Seafood Wheel jackpot lit being one change. Not sure how it would be done since the Jackpot Wheel insert is there and labeled on the playfield but my suggestion would be that there would be a seafood wheel jackpot separate from the main jackpot. Would love to see the main jackpot both toned down but also reset for each player and not carry over from player to player. Would rather see the jackpot actually cap at 8 million since that is all the backbox actually shows. Would also like the jackpot increases to be more obviously linked to particular shots.

As for the trash can bonus, would like to see it progressive for successive collects. For example, rather than being worth 5 million if it's topped out with the 10x lit, perhaps top out at some lower score and increase to or above 5 million on successive top outs.

The third ball 20 million shot should be done away with or made more difficult (since 20 million is actually on the plastics). Would rather see that as a shot that requires several things completed first but again my suggestions have a varying level of difficulty depending on how this is all being done. Would love more info about that and very much want in on this when it is available for testing or otherwise as Bad Cats is the one machine my wife 'won't ever let me sell.' Once CPR gets the PF done mine will be getting a top to bottom restore (and crossing fingers for the ramps as well).

#6 9 years ago

I love me some Bad Cats!!
I think the jackpot is a bit over the top...It only goes to 8 mil. on the BG, so if it was capped at 8 mil that would be good for the jackpot. The 20 mil Tiger ramp last ball shot is tough since it is timed, but 20 mil is ALOT! Maybe it should be lower value not sure 5 mil is enough, maybe go 10 mil since that is more than the max jackpot shot (with these new rules) but not 20 mil...

Phoebe

#7 9 years ago

Im gonna play around with changing the last ball bonus down to say, 8 million. This hack will be interesting, as it has two variables invovled (on last ball & score change) so I either edit the hex value to eliminate the change on last ball (easier), or try to change the value. Ive been successful with NES rom hacks as well as arcade games. This is new terrritory for me, but I'm assuming the concept is the same - load into pinmame, watch address values for changes, figure out which addresses do what, edit values, make sure it doesn't screw up the checksum and save rom and reload.

#8 9 years ago

The fun has begun...

Decompiled u27 and I'm going through the memory addresses. I'll start with a straight-up hex edit of the original bonus on last ball and see if it works. If I'm successful, I'll move onto other areas. Being an alpha-numeric display it is also very easy to change that as well (can't just change scoring table update, the display also has to match for anything displayed in ANSI).

There also seems to be a good amount of padding in this ROM too, so there would be space for additional rules or whathaveyou if I ever got that nuts about it.

#9 9 years ago

I was able to isolate the 3rd ball 10 Million score value and change it in a hex editor. Found some useful tools as well, one of which can recalculate checksums, among other things. Haven't tested on the actual machine yet (because it is 1/2 way through being shopped out), but it seems to work in Pinmame for the time being. I'll post more updates as I make progress with this. I looked into it, and changing rules or adding addition stuff other that score values looks to be over my head, but I may revisit this at some point when I have some more time. It is much easier to find and change integer values than trace and hunt through steps to make rule changes.

#10 9 years ago

Would love for you to post an example snip of the hex rom where you made a change to see it here. Also what you are using to 'decompile' these.

#11 9 years ago

The Debug version of VPINMAME DOS decomplies for you and allows you to run the processor(s) in steps or in real time. You can also disassemble using dasmx130. I do that, then keep it up in Notepad++ to view side-by-side to compare with the active memory addresses, then I name/comment stuff as I figure out what it is.

The method for figuring out what memory address does what is a pain in the butt, as you have to simulate the switches by hitting combinations of keys in Pinmame (for instance, a ball in the trough would be W-S). So you simply step through what is necessary to shift values in the memory, run a trace on what shifts/changes, output the results and search, then convert those hex values to decimal in the case of scoring. Some stuff is mostly the same from game to game in SYS11, like score for player 1 is held in $0200-0202. I used the System 11 pinball Hacking guide by Francis as a starting point: http://pinhacks.com/showthread.php?tid=80&pid=314

In the case of finding the bonus value change, I had to drain 2 balls immediately to get to the third ball, then watch for changing values on the last ball. You can run a trace within a memory range, convert the hex values to decimal and see if they reflect what you're looking for. I think this was a temporary memory range for score changing, so it was something in $02F0-$02FF range. I saw some values change, took a guess, edited the value, and watched what happened.

In other situations, it is much more difficult because you'll have to simulate things like stacking scores and multiplying score values. This was probably one of the easiest things possible to change as I didn't have to simulate anything other than getting to ball 3, and didn't have to track active score changes.

I have this stuff at home, so I'll post some stuff when I get a chance later, but this is the process in a nutshell of hacking these. Pretty much works the same as NES games, which I've done before, only is screwy because of all the inputs.

#12 9 years ago

Would you mind emailing me the vpinmame debugger? I can't seem to find a more up to date version and would like to try some of this.

EDIT:

Well I've found something that seems to work but I'm still curious what version/etc. you are using. Thanks.

#13 9 years ago

Sure, np. The version I have is older, I know that much. I'll send you the decompiled u27 with comments I've made so far too if you want. Not much identified in there so far, but it is a start if you wanna play around with it.

#14 9 years ago

Also, I made this to help with the insanity of rows/columns in pinmame. The original schematic isn't easy on the eyes. This is nice to just print out and read from.

BC_SWITCH_MATRIX.pdfBC_SWITCH_MATRIX.pdf

#15 9 years ago

I'm using Pinmame 2.3 as well. I don't have MSVC, otherwise I would have compiled a newer version myself. My IDE of choice is Code:Blocks, which often can make life difficult for stuff like this.

And if you run traces, remember to set them to break on whatever address it is that needs to be updated. Otherwise you'll end up with like a 5 GB file!

#16 9 years ago

And the fun continues....
bc_debug.pngbc_debug.png

#17 9 years ago

I figured while I'm at this that I'll try and document some of the steps in case anyone else is interested in doing this.

As far as changing values in the actual ROM image, it will initially look confusing because if you pull up the ROM in any HEX editor it isn't going to start in the same place it does inside the debugger. That's because the address starting point in the assembler/debugger is $8000 (cats_u27.l5+4000), not $0000 as would be expected. A picture makes this easier to understand.

bc_hex_1.pngbc_hex_1.png
bc_hex_2.pngbc_hex_2.png

From here, you can review any traces you've done, see where they are called from on the ROM, then edit the value. Just keep in mind these differences when going between the debugger and editing the ROM (as if assembly wasn't confusing enough).

And as far as changing code, make sure to disable CPU(s)#1&2 as they are sound CPUs and are unnecessary for rule/scoring changes. You can do this by typing in "IGNORE CPU" followed by the number that you want to ignore in the debug window.

#18 9 years ago

Thanks for this. Very good info and this would be great to tweak the code and fix some of the unbalanced scoring.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Thanks for this. Very good info and this would be great to tweak the code and fix some of the unbalanced scoring.

Score changes aren't too tricky, as you just set a trace on the 1st player memory address $0200-0202 and have it return to the debug window whenever it updates. After you run a trace of A B and X (after running whatever switches necessary to activate that scoring), you just search through the code for those memory addresses and see where the memory is getting those instructions from in the ROM. From there, you usually see some math where a static integer value is grabbed from the ROM. Then it is just a matter of finding it in the ROM with the hex editor, changing the value (convert hex => dec then dec => hex again) and inserting it. Then you have to recalculate/regenerate the checksum or you'll get a CRC error. It uses the SHA1 checksum algorithm.

This is a useful guide as well and also has tools and instructions for generating checksums on modified roms: http://www.maddes.net/pinball/wpc_debugging.htm

For the time being in Pinmame, I just have the CRC check bypassed. But when I actually finish with it and go to burn the EPROM, I'll recalculate it.

3 weeks later
#20 9 years ago

Wondering how this is coming. I'm going to be ordering some eproms soon. What will I need for these? 27c010? Want to be ready to install these when you have them ready. Happy New Year!

#21 9 years ago

Bad Cats uses 27512's for both the game ROMs. Only the main game ROM is going to be updated.

I may get to work on this a bit this week at night. It has been at a standstill since the holidays.

1 month later
#22 9 years ago

Well I ran out of time to work on this, but I didn't want it to die either. If anyone wants to grab an RAR with everything you need to do this, here it is: http://thedefog.com/pin/bcedit.rar

that has a hex editor, the debug version of pinmame, dasm, and the sys11 tutorial for editing roms.

for the 10 million score edit, you have to simulate getting to ball 3, then activate the special just as if you were playing it. You'll see a value change if you're watching the memory addresses in that area that deal with temporary scoring elements. The way the 20 mill works is that there is a routine that checks when special is activated whether or not it is the last ball. If yes, 20 mill will be enabled. All you have to do to is either edit the award amount (AND THE PLAIN ASCII TXT that says 20 million IN THE EPROM to whatever value, then regenerate or disable the checksum). The method in which I attempted to do it did not work for multiple player (I am not so great at this).

1 year later
#23 7 years ago

TLDR - Find a way to make the jackpot permanently worth 20 million....

I know this thread is ageing, but it's crucial. We all agree Bad Cats has balance issues. However, we disagree the 20 million shot is the problem. When I got my Bad Cats, I was more than agitated to learn I could not alter the progress of the progressive jackpot, the way you can for Cyclone and Taxi.

On Taxi, I ratcheted the value of each bumper hit to the max, so that after the collection of a Jackpot, the Jackpot would return a max 3 million very quickly. In other words, the jackpot is always three million EXCEPT for a game or two after someone has just collected it. Not really a big deal.

On Cyclone, I did the opposite. The jackpot can hit a max of 4 million, but the damn scoreboard only has 7 digits, so a 4 million jackpot gets you almost half way to rolling the score just by itself. Therefore, I ratcheted the progress feature all the way down, so it collects VERY slowly - that way most jackpots are about 1.5 plus 0.5 million for additional jacks.

Now, for Bad Cats: the jackpot can range from 1 to 20 million. A very fun and challenging part of the game is spelling B-A-D-C-A-T-S to collect the jackpot. Two things. First, as mentioned above, the challenge can be whimsically overcome by simply lighting the jackpot through the Seafood Spinner. HOWEVER, Please note this can already be changed thru adjustment setting #45: just select the "turn off" Jackpot option. Any self respecting owner of Bad Cats will enter the settings mode and turn off the jackpot via Seafood. Okay, Second, and this is the true problem in BC: Unlike Taxi and Cyclone, I cannot really discern how the jackpot actually accumulates. I only know that it accumulates pretty slow, and there is no setting to amp it way up. So basically, you have this very annoying layover period where spelling B-A-D-C-A-T-S isn't really worth going for until it finally reaches 10 million, and even then, you got a ways to go until it's super valuable at 15-20 million. So the only scoring hack that is needed is to somehow vastly increase the rate at which the jackpot accumulates so it gets back to 20 million every 2 or 3 games.

With this one change, now we're talking: all the epic top score games will mean you had to collect the 20 mill jackpot, the 20 mill ramp on ball three, at least two or three full 5 million fish bonuses, decent playfield points collected during six balls (three regular balls plus the max 3 extra balls), and even a few fat multiplier bonuses (Once I got a 6x that multiplied out to like 1.7 mill).

Anyway, the whole game is so annoyingly compromised when you achieve all the above, but you happened to collect the jackpot when it was stuck under 5 million. Someone please find a way to change this one small element, and Bad Cats will be "One Bad Cat," afterall

2 years later
#24 4 years ago

This has probably been addressed, but if you get the 20 million ramp on ball 3, have an extra ball, drain.... can you get another 20 million ramp? Thanks!

#25 4 years ago

Did anyone ever grab that rar. Think I lost it long ago and can't get it now.

2 weeks later
#26 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Did anyone ever grab that rar. Think I lost it long ago and can't get it now.

Trying again. Finally found another Bad Cats to work this out on. Anyone git these files?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-rules-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.