IMG_9371.JPG
IMG_9339.JPG
IMG_9345.JPG
IMG_9344.JPG
IMG_9343.JPG
IMG_9342.JPG
IMG_9341.JPG
IMG_9340.JPG
There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

After a one year casual search and 3 months of a serious search, a BC that’s only an hour and a half away finally came up for sale. I snoozed and am still kicking myself for missing one in NJ back in May. Thanks to another Pinsider who pointed me to the thread (Thanks to freddy as I never got a response the first time due to the seller’s pics bouncing back to him.) I re-contacted him and within a week I was picking the machine up. Another great seller who even fixed several things that were initially being sold as part of the deal. Even the other issues listed weren’t as bad as stated so I was very pleased.

The game only needed two functional repairs (And yes, I bought the game unshopped and nothing gone through so I wasn’t worried!) which needed the back box jackpot light board pin connectors resoldered and a set of flasher lights that had an internally broken ceramic resistor: both easy fixes. Seller had already fixed a broken seafood wheel, Fish Bone-Us, and coin door switches. The cabinet has the yellowed cabinet art (Should be replaced first week of November) and has the black inside cabinet vs. orange. All the plastics are present with the only broken one being at the milk drop targets. The playfield is planking mostly everywhere (Again, I knew this) and doesn’t appear to have any mylar other than the pops and the ramp drops. There is some cat eye inserts (2x, 3x, etc) wear and the #4 at the Seafood is almost gone and may inserts are lifting. All of this is fairly typical and the plan is to restore the cabinet immediately, and hope that the playfields from CPR get released in a few weeks as planned. And that there’s at least one PF left for me! The ramps are pretty good although I’m still going to pick up a set of both when Starship Fantasy makes these. The side rails are good, the cabinet was never drilled anywhere and is in fantastic shape under the playfield, in the cabinet and in the back box. There’s absolutely no burnt pins, etc. Heck, even the boards still have the original serial numbers to the game. Really shocked to see. The backglass is relatively good as well. Only a few areas peeling back.

IMG_7800.JPGIMG_7800.JPG
IMG_7822.JPGIMG_7822.JPG
IMG_7823.JPGIMG_7823.JPG
IMG_7824.JPGIMG_7824.JPG
IMG_7847.JPGIMG_7847.JPG

#2 9 years ago

A little faded? New cabinet art incoming.

DSCN2213.JPGDSCN2213.JPG DSCN2228.JPGDSCN2228.JPG DSCN2229.JPGDSCN2229.JPG
#3 9 years ago

My plastic set showed up from France quickly. I decided not to put them on until I get a PF. I did however take liberty to set up the 3D stand. Nice job Stu and CPR! I got them here http://www.zpeakabonks-pinball-paradise.com/boutique/set-de-decors-williams/set-de-decors-williams-bad-cats.html . CPR said they will be re-running the plastic set again soon.

Hoping someone remakes the cardboard and perhaps the plastics in the back box. Mine are fine, but it would be nice knowing there's parts if needed.
DSCN2193.JPGDSCN2193.JPG

I tore it down top side to shop it as I don’t know how long it will be until I get my hands on a playfield. Until then, I want to play the game, so most of the topside hardware was tumbled. Many posts and all the ball guides were cleaned, but left in place. I’ll tend to them when I do the playfield. I’ve been experimenting with some LED’s and have it mostly converted other than short some warm white frosted for the GI. Cool whites are in it now but they’re a bit too bright with the orange plastics. Will go with some WW frosted. I adjusted all the switches and have it playing perfectly as of 30 OCT 2014.
DSCN2129.JPGDSCN2129.JPG
DSCN2130.JPGDSCN2130.JPG
DSCN2150.JPGDSCN2150.JPG
DSCN2153.JPGDSCN2153.JPG
DSCN2156.JPGDSCN2156.JPG
DSCN2171.JPGDSCN2171.JPG
DSCN2172.JPGDSCN2172.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Awesome! Watching this one. This is what I've been looking for for myself. Nice find.

#5 9 years ago

This afternoon was stripping the cabinet. My old Clark heat gun on low with a putty knife scraper made it about a 1 1/2 hour project.
DSCN2230.JPGDSCN2230.JPG
DSCN2239.JPGDSCN2239.JPG
DSCN2238.JPGDSCN2238.JPG
DSCN2237.JPGDSCN2237.JPG

#6 9 years ago

Dave,
looks good. i am enjoying mine i did not like it at first but really like it know. i will have to come play yours. when its done.

#7 9 years ago

Congats...

BadCats is a great non-multiball machine.

Mine is going nowhere.

Can't wait to get my hands on a new playfield and new set of ramps.

#8 9 years ago

Bad Cats vs. Heat Gun: "Me-OW OW OW OW"

Heat Gun wins.

#9 9 years ago

Some pics of the cabinet while tearing it down.

DSCN2207.JPGDSCN2207.JPG DSCN2215.JPGDSCN2215.JPG DSCN2217.JPGDSCN2217.JPG DSCN2218.JPGDSCN2218.JPG DSCN2219.JPGDSCN2219.JPG DSCN2222.JPGDSCN2222.JPG DSCN2223.JPGDSCN2223.JPG DSCN2227.JPGDSCN2227.JPG
#10 9 years ago

get that cab smooth don't want to see orange peal thru those new decals!

#11 9 years ago

Dave

Glad to see you beat me to one!,, I got first dibs on it once you get tired of it

#12 9 years ago

I'm gonna redo the cab on mine soon too.

Care to sell some of your old plastics?

#13 9 years ago

This was kindy creepy:
DSCN2240.JPGDSCN2240.JPG

The playfield out:
DSCN2241.JPGDSCN2241.JPG

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Jobi:

I'm gonna redo the cab on mine soon too.
Care to sell some of your old plastics?

There's a few that were selling theirs on here already and I have my old plastics on it for now after just tearing the playfield down for a swap.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Dave
Glad to see you beat me to one!,, I got first dibs on it once you get tired of it

I hope not, it's a pain hauling pins in/out of my basement and you know first hand!

Quoted from freddy:

Dave,
looks good. i am enjoying mine i did not like it at first but really like it know. i will have to come play yours. when its done.

You have a fantastic all original and glad to hear you're liking it. It's different, and not for everyone, but it is very unique. And Python's art really shines especially on this title.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I hope not, it's a pain hauling pins in/out of my basement and you know first hand!

Dave
If you need help getting that pin from your garage down to the Basement, let me know, I work for Beer!

#17 9 years ago

Thanks! I do have some and will keep that in mind!

#18 9 years ago

Meow meow meow meooooowwwww!

#19 9 years ago

Cabinet art is here. Nothing has been done tonight but here's the art compared to the old and aged removed art:

DSCN2242.JPGDSCN2242.JPG
DSCN2243.JPGDSCN2243.JPG
DSCN2244.JPGDSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPGDSCN2245.JPG
DSCN2246.JPGDSCN2246.JPG
DSCN2247.JPGDSCN2247.JPG
DSCN2249.JPGDSCN2249.JPG

#20 9 years ago

Dang, looks like the orange still is off, it should be the same as the speaker panel shouldn't it? The old strip looks like a better match. At any rate, will be doing the full restore on mine when the PFs are ready.

#21 9 years ago

looks a little more brown/burnt orange than orange.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Dang, looks like the orange still is off, it should be the same as the speaker panel shouldn't it? The old strip looks like a better match. At any rate, will be doing the full restore on mine when the PFs are ready.

no not like the speaker panel . the speaker panel is more floresent orange

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

looks a little more brown/burnt orange than orange.

Exactly, like a pumpkin I'd say.

I'm fine with it because it's so faded and am just happy to have some art to replace it. But I know most wanted to see what the new and corrected art looks like.

#24 9 years ago

Dave if your fine with it thats cool!
but i thought in the thread they said they would reprint to the proper color. i even offered to color match swatches with my cab to help out, and the one dude sent a piece of his cab,chiseled it clean off. now thats a team player ! i thought they would be a better match as the cabs are very orange and your decal is not so. i think i would paint the cab orange and cut the art work out and adhere to the cab. just my 2 cents. maybe they can print art work on clear !

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Dave if your fine with it thats cool!
but i thought in the thread they said they would reprint to the proper color. i even offered to color match swatches with my cab to help out, and the one dude sent a piece of his cab,chiseled it clean off. now thats a team player ! i thought they would be a better match as the cabs are very orange and your decal is not so. i think i would paint the cab orange and cut the art work out and adhere to the cab. just my 2 cents. maybe they can print art work on clear !

Yep, it's likely a match to painted cabinets and I did follow him doing that. Who knows how faded or off mine is anyway. I've looked at a handful of BC both painted and decaled and hard to say without seeing them all side by side. The art looks good overall. It lined up nicely and installing without any cursing. Yet...

#26 9 years ago

Few pics of the torn down cabinet and some polished parts so far. Anything to large will get cleaned, sanded and polished with my polishing wheel. Still amazed how the inside of the back box is clean, and the boards are untouched and perfect. Yet the outside, although no damage, was so faded it looked really bad.
Larger parts tumbledLarger parts tumbled
Smaller cabinet partsSmaller cabinet parts
Stripped cabinetStripped cabinet
Parts waiting to go in with exception of Shocktop.  They're long goneParts waiting to go in with exception of Shocktop. They're long gone

#27 9 years ago

Cabinet needed very little filler. No lockdown bar holes, no gouges, etc. Just the usual leg areas.
Sanded cabinet and painted edgesSanded cabinet and painted edges
Front sanded and painted edgesFront sanded and painted edges
Back box left. Minor snag cutting on the one sideBack box left. Minor snag cutting on the one side

#28 9 years ago

Your lucky they have cab decals ! A couple years back a friend had cab scanned and made the decals .A long process but happy with the results. 20140821_190818.jpg20140821_190818.jpg

#29 9 years ago

Looks great whitey. I like the chrome trim!

#30 9 years ago

This is the last and as far as I got before I had to leave out of town.

DSCN2269.JPGDSCN2269.JPG
#31 9 years ago

Dave it looks great keep up the good work!

1 week later
#32 9 years ago

Do you plan on removing the mylar? I have one that I am considering doing PF touch up and auto clear to, but am afraid of the mylar removal, as there is so much of it. I may just try and clean up the discolored areas as best as possible and possibly do treasure cove to the mylar.

#33 9 years ago

I'm leaving it on at the few places that it is there and that a new playfield is coming soon. I've had mixed luck on non cleared playfields so figured why make it worse.

If yours is good, I'd pull it if you have before.

#34 9 years ago

Decals finally done now that I'm back. Now realize I shouldn't try to put on cabinet decals while jet lagged. They came out ok, but after measuring a dozen times, the front is off center slightly. I could've prepped the cabinet better but rushed it to just get it done. I'm overall happy with it, but it's not perfect. Oh well, that's why I don't "restore" as I don't have the talent like the pros.

IMG_8002.JPGIMG_8002.JPG
IMG_7998.JPGIMG_7998.JPG

#35 9 years ago

Looks Puurrrfect to me.

#36 9 years ago

Nice job dave looks good to me.Meow! NICE TOY!

#37 9 years ago

Looks good to me. Bat Cats is on my wish list for sure.

#38 9 years ago

Cabinet is mostly done. Just a few odds and ends and the playfield can go back in temporarily. I'm really hoping CPR gets the playfields out soon now. Again, there's little issues with the decal installation (My fault, not the decals), but I'm still happy compared to what I started out with.

IMG_8175.JPGIMG_8175.JPG IMG_8173.JPGIMG_8173.JPG IMG_8170.JPGIMG_8170.JPG IMG_8171.JPGIMG_8171.JPG IMG_8159.JPGIMG_8159.JPG IMG_8004.JPGIMG_8004.JPG IMG_8151.JPGIMG_8151.JPG IMG_8164.JPGIMG_8164.JPG IMG_8166.JPGIMG_8166.JPG
#39 9 years ago

Comparison of before and after:

Cabinet before and after.jpgCabinet before and after.jpg
#40 9 years ago

Looks great! I have done many decals and there is always something little that happens. You have the right attitude that the machine is 1000% better than what it was when you got it.
--Scott

#41 9 years ago

Thanks, that does make one feel better. Yes, anything was an improvement and as much as I'd prefer perfection, that fact is it will get banged up from use or moving at some point in its future.

#42 9 years ago

I've never seen on of these but yours looks great. I love me some system 11 an this looks like a fun game.

#43 9 years ago

Thanks! They're not very common to see. I guess it's the love/hate the theme and gameplay. It's fun but it's not for everyone due to some unbalanced scoring, lack of multiball, etc.

#44 9 years ago

put it back to yellow!

#45 9 years ago

Lol the rare yellow edition!

#46 9 years ago

Despite the lack of ways to do multiball, like a trough, I'm still considering P-ROCing this, but the sounds are already cool. I think it's one of the tough things for designing a pin, sound.

#47 9 years ago

Great job on the decal! I hope to be brave enough to do decals on my ES someday.

#48 9 years ago

This is fantastic because I'm doing a shop job right now, so I'm looking at this and getting a gauge for what I have to do on mine.

Mine doesn't seem to have decals on the cab though, looks like it was silk-screened. At least it feels that way and normally decals will peel. I've been doing airbrush/paint touch-up on it. Were some of these screen painted on the sides?

BTW, matching the oranges is a PITA. Head is slightly lighter/oranger than the bottom (darker, redder).

#49 9 years ago

Karolina came to investigate the work. Not sure what she thinks lol. Wife and I are curious what she'll do hearing the game play.

image-645.jpgimage-645.jpg image-881.jpgimage-881.jpg image-485.jpgimage-485.jpg
#50 9 years ago

Awesome job. Used to play a Bad Cats back in the day at the local bowling alley. One of my faves......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-refresh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.