Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mima
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

TheBadCats linear target is originally a piece of round plastic with a cat decal on. Screwed directly to the inner threads of the metal rod that moves up and down through a opto sensor port. The plastic itself is somewhat loose and the screw takes a lot of beating tough it is the part that takes all the hits from the plunging ball.

This construction was designed for BadCats never to be used again, as it performs pretty badly.

Due to necessity (the screw broke flush of by the rod) I needed to partly redesign this part for my Bad Cats. And it came out pretty darn nice.

The whole assembly works much better and more precise with my custom designed target than it ever did with the original piece on my machine.

I could make a few to sell, PM me if you are interested and we will set the details about price and how to assemble the piece.

Here's a short video of it in action:

Cheers
/mima

#2 7 years ago

Very nice job, wish i still had my Bad Cats.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Thanks!

It´s not to late to get another one. In my opinion one of the most fun Sys11 games to play. And the backglass is just sooo much eye-candy.

cheers
/mima

#4 7 years ago

Just to be clear about this mod, it does not help with the poor design of the spinning slotted disc through an opto pair,
where the disc tarts spinning when a perpendicular rod (the target) moves through a pair of rubber rings. The friction between the
rubber rings and the perpendicular rod (target) makes the rod of the slotted disk move through the opto pair. Odd design....

If unlucky the discs slot will end up just so close to the opto that the IR-beam would be interrupted (until next hit of the target)
and the vibrations of the game going will make the disc register at hit even tough none was made.

The mod however addresses the poor target design, making it easier and more accurate to get solid impacts from the target (and by doing so having the Linear Target assembly to register the hits more reliably). the game simply becomes more fun to play and the wonky Linear-Target idea feels just a bit sharper.

Cheers
//mima

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Wish I had your Bad Cats

#6 7 years ago

Cool! Having played a lot of but never owning a Bad Cats - I was under the impression this was a veri-target, correct? How many steps does it register, and I'm assuming this mod works the same because it only changes the target, not the opto mechanism inside?

#7 7 years ago

I just ordered one of mima's targets.

I have some internal pics and diagrams of the target mech on my website. click and scroll about 2/3 down the page...

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/badcats/pics/pics.html

The opto interrupter wheel only has a few notches so the "resolution" isn't great. So there's only a moderate correlation between the strength of the hit and the resulting award. Or at least that's how my game behaves.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

Cool! Having played a lot of but never owning a Bad Cats - I was under the impression this was a veri-target, correct? How many steps does it register, and I'm assuming this mod works the same because it only changes the target, not the opto mechanism inside?

Well it's sort of a vari-target, as the idea is the more solid you hit the target the more lights lit.

However the design is less than perfect (have a look at Jeff's website). Both the opto part with low resolution and a risk of the disc ends up registering hits due to vibration (until the next proper hit on the target) and the wobbly, too big, screwed on target (where the screw takes the hit) which deflect the strength and alignment of the ball when hit are a major weakness in the design. Hence the All "new Linear target" was never to be used again in a Bally/Williams game.

This mod addresses the reliability of solid hits of the target it self. Although it does not take a way the issue completely it reduces the number of times you get robbed of hits. The target simply feels a bit sharper and the game become even more fun to play.

Cheers
/mima

Cheers
/mima

9 months later
#9 6 years ago

I'm very happy to see this! I recently bought a Bad Cats and everything works great, except the linear target recently broke before I purchased it. If the author of this thread would still be able, then I would be most interested in buying one of these.

#10 6 years ago

Mima,
Nice job on the modification! I'd be interested in one if you decide to make them. Meow me meow meow

#11 6 years ago

surfinvet I still have a few targets left.
PM me if there is any interest.
Cheers
/mima

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.99
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-linear-target-redesigned and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.