(Topic ID: 63850)

Bad Cats (Inside cabinet is black & Not Orange?)

By Jean-Luc-Picard

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by shimoda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

orange.jpg
blackcat.png
#1 10 years ago

Picking up a Bad Cats Tomorrow. I notice the inside cabinet is black. Any idea why it is not orange. Assuming it was not painted by someone, did Williams make two versions?

blackcat.pngblackcat.png

#2 10 years ago

I seem to recall the outside is orange... But the inside has always been black.

Anyone concur?

#3 10 years ago

The bad cats I have seen are orange on the inside. This is the first one I have seen that is black. But I have only seen maybe (3) Bad Cats in the wild. However the ones I see online are also Orange.

Like THIS:

orange.jpgorange.jpg

Granted this new pin will be a headache and overpriced I think I will paint and Varnish the inside orange

#4 10 years ago

Mine is black inside as well. Not positive but cabinets came in different flavored. Some were screened, others decaled. Going to guess the one you are getting is decaled. I'm considering painting the inside orange as well when I do a shop, possibly including new PF from CPR or restoring mine.

#5 10 years ago

yep, you are right. Decals. And really really faded. Wish they sold decals for BC.

#6 10 years ago

just sold my BC and the inside was orange just like the outside,

#7 10 years ago

Much like the four different backglasses, there are both orange and black interior colors. And like others gave said, there were also decaled cabs too ( which I had). ~SpOoKy

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Mine is black inside as well. Not positive but cabinets came in different flavored. Some were screened, others decaled. Going to guess the one you are getting is decaled. I'm considering painting the inside orange as well when I do a shop, possibly including new PF from CPR or restoring mine.

They didn't do Decals in the 1980s. They are all screened.

Sometimes the vinyl lamination under the screen lifts which does make it appear like a decal.

See the Bryan Kelly IJ restoration thread for clarification.

rd.

#9 10 years ago

Found it.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Now we're going to talk about whether IJ and games like it, were decaled or not. NO THEY WERE NOT!! But if you've ever removed IJ artwork, you'd swear it was a decal you were removing. NO IT WAS NOT!!
With earlier games, the artwork was screened directly unto the wood. At some point, Williams started buying their plywood with a vinyl outer layer applied at the factory. This gave them a perfectly smooth surface to apply the screening. This is not truly a decal, although it may appear so.
Looking at the top of the IJ head in pic one, you'll see what I mean. The same plywood was used for the top and here, I'm removing the vinyl layer. Remember, THIS IS NOT A DECAL!!

#10 10 years ago

Then mine came with custom made decals because they were completely peeling off the left side of the cabinet. ~SpOoKy

#11 10 years ago

I have a scanner on the way and am going to be vectorizing the cabinet artwork. I have talked with PPS about decals but will also try to find another solution if going that route fails. Obviously without PPS I can't help anyone else, but I may try getting this screened locally on my machine. Once I have the artwork complete I will be contacting PPS however to see if these can be made. It may be screen over vinyl, but no matter, the vinyl has faded and tears, wrinkles and rips aren't looking good enough for my living room.

#12 10 years ago

Meow, me, meow, meow! Could be cabs from different suppliers to Williams.

#13 10 years ago

I remember multiple threads on RGP that the big W was using leftover cabinets from a prior pin for Bad Cats, henceforth both the factory silkscening and decals. Both myself as well as a good friend of mine had the crummy cabinet decals. Mine were so bad on the left side, I could gave pulled it off with little effort. I don't have a horse, so to speak, in this race as both myself and buddy don't own BC now, but also know what we both owned and if I can find my pics from like 7 years ago, would gladly share them here. ~SpOiKy

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I have a scanner on the way and am going to be vectorizing the cabinet artwork. I have talked with PPS about decals but will also try to find another solution if going that route fails. Obviously without PPS I can't help anyone else, but I may try getting this screened locally on my machine. Once I have the artwork complete I will be contacting PPS however to see if these can be made. It may be screen over vinyl, but no matter, the vinyl has faded and tears, wrinkles and rips aren't looking good enough for my living room.

If you can make them to a high quality, I'm sure PPP would buy the files off you.

From what I heard they don't pay a lot for them though ... But I guess you'd be doing Bad Cats owners a big favour.

rd.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

aren't looking good enough for my living room.

My Bad Cats is also in the living room. Rather bad rips near the legs. I plan on making custom oversized leg protectors to hide that. However the front, rather than re-painting the illustration I am going to just paint the raw wood the same color yellow "originally orange". Decals would be great. It is a very fun pin. Great for a living room since it has a friendly theme. And I use it as an icebreaker to draw people into playing the rest of my pins in my arcade Meow Meow!!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I have a scanner on the way and am going to be vectorizing the cabinet artwork. I have talked with PPS about decals but will also try to find another solution if going that route fails.

When doing new decals it might be nice to add the text balloon that was originally supposed to be there, but was not approved by management. The bird is saying something like "Come get me you pussies".

I was only aware of 3 different backglasses:
1. snake with burned out Python head, black hair
2. snake with nicer Python head, blue hair
3. regular snake, as seen on the flyer

So what's the fourth backglass?

#17 10 years ago

Congrats on finding a bad cats.
I'd like to get one too..

#18 10 years ago

Question: I don't see any stand up targets in BC, just drop targets and the rail target. I notice this for sale but have no idea where it is on BC? - I think this person just stuck the rail target decal on a stand up target.

ebay.com link: Williams Pinball Bad Cats Stand Up Target Nice Used Example Ready to Install

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Question: I don't see any stand up targets in BC, just drop targets and the rail target. I notice this for sale but have no idea where it is on BC? - I think this person just stuck the rail target decal on a stand up target.
Ebay link

That's supposed to be the vari target! Haha!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

That's supposed to be the vari target! Haha!

lol, so funny!

BTW: Not sure why I did not consider this before. Since I have a Screen-Printing studio lol I am going to print my own decal for the front cabinet face. Should be living room worthy when shes done

#21 10 years ago

I have already done Vector Graphics for the Bad Cats Cabinet Artwork & PPS didn't want to buy the files.....Oh Well, Maybe you will have better luck....

Quoted from shimoda:

I have a scanner on the way and am going to be vectorizing the cabinet artwork. I have talked with PPS about decals but will also try to find another solution if going that route fails

#22 10 years ago

You could always save me the time and send me the graphics! My plan is to try to get some help making screens at the local university and printing directly on the cabinet. I'm going to build my own screens for this. Probably two different screens for the main cabinet. Backbox is also two separate screens and one more for the front panel. Going to take hours to do the art. I doubt if you weren't able to sell that I would be able to sell. Perhaps PPS could chime in here.

#23 10 years ago

I have about 128 Hours into the artwork, plus it took 23 scans to capture it all & another 20 hours to 'line-up & stitch' all the scans together correctly & accurately.....my vector files are as accurate as any file I have done for CPR projects.

#24 10 years ago

Perhaps price is the reason. I wanted a couple sets of decals in trade. Guess I've got some work ahead and then I'll still have to figure out how to get them made. Colors are the real issue, getting the orange and whatever the other color is without a machine that is true to the original color. However, I'm going out on a limb assuming the orange in the speaker panel/backglass is the original cabinet orange, not sure about the red or whatever color is in the W and the dog spots.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-inside-cabinet-is-black-not-orange?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.