(Topic ID: 62094)

Bad Cats - How hard should a ramp shot be?

By Collin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pin_Crazed
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I suppose this is equally tech help and playing advice, but here goes:

How hard to you all find the ramp shots in Bad Cats to be? I find myself frequently hitting the ramps, and finding the ball going most of the way up then rolling back down. I can usually make the ramp shots if the ball has some momentum, but can never make the ramp shots if I've got the ball caught at the base of a flipper. (i.e. I can hit the left ramp, and when the ball returns to the right flipper, I can't get the left ramp again, even with a direct hit.)

This doesn't seem right; shouldn't the ramps be possible to hit when the game's at a normal angle without a ton of extra momentum?

I'm thinking I need to rebuild the flippers on this one. One stuck briefly at one point, and the game probably hasn't had the underside of the playfield serviced in a while. Does rebuilding flippers sound like the most reasonable solution?

Thanks,

Collin

#2 10 years ago

I'd say so.

#3 10 years ago

That left ramp is just like the one on my bsd and I'm here to tell ya if your flipper isn't at it's peak your not gonna make that shot without extra momentum

#4 10 years ago

It depends on how clean of a shot you make. The one I had was easy to make if it was a clean shot. Real easy to touch the posts on the way in and the. You get a bunch of real clunky shots that don't make it.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

It depends on how clean of a shot you make. The one I had was easy to make if it was a clean shot. Real easy to touch the posts on the way in and the. You get a bunch of real clunky shots that don't make it.

A good bit of this. The fishbowl ramp shot is mostly reasonable on my machine, even though the screw mount plastic (that holds the ramp to the playfield) is mostly (completely) broken. The tiger ramp is much harder to nail but I can get it fairly okay. My flippers do need to be rebuilt so once I do that I'll try to report (and once PBI has ramps run - yay - and mine are replaced).

#6 10 years ago

On this game you should be able to hit the left ramp cleanly with some momentum and have it consistently go up. Not a ton of momentum, mind you, but a slow moving inlane roll. You probably won't be hitting it from a dead stop. That wouldn't be any fun anyway as it would make that shot a ramp rape.

The center ramp is a tough shot and should be. That's the jackpot shot. High risk high reward. Not only do you have to hit it clean, you have to hit it with momentum, and if you fail you're probably losing the ball.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

I can backhand the tiger ramp with the left flipper pretty easily, and I'm getting better at the post transfer to get the ball over there

#8 10 years ago

So your game is set to 2 degrees, Blipsqueak?

#9 10 years ago

If you haven't rebuilt the flippers on this game since you've gotten it, I would do it now. Don't forget flipper bushings.. sometimes they are not included in the rebuild packs.

I think the EOS switches that are poorly adjusted can also cause weak flippers, I'm sure that there are really a lot of reasons for weak flippers. I just always try to get my machines tip top shape so a flipper rebuild is usually the 1st step.
See: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Weak_Flippers_-_What_to_check

Also I would replace all coil sleeves and tighten coils to their brackets all over the game, should make it play 'snappier'.-- not sure how much you have 'shopped' things on the game.
See: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Tuning_a_Game_for_Best_Performance

#10 10 years ago

My machine has original flippers in it and they have seen about 300 games total and I can make any ramp shot easily (NOS crated playfield). I'd say you need to do the Flipper Kit.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

So your game is set to 2 degrees, Blipsqueak?

Last I checked it was at around 6... and it's nearly impossible to hit with the right flipper... :shrug:

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

I think the EOS switches that are poorly adjusted can also cause weak flippers

First thing to check, can make a dramatic difference in action, as mentioned rebuild is best if not done already, make sure all is tight and aligned.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-how-hard-should-a-ramp-shot-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.