IMG_1444 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1907 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1906 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1905 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1904 (resized).jpeg
20240303_160305 (resized).jpg
20240303_160006 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#579 3 years ago

Question about the fish bone-us target. The one I am working on is stuck and won’t move. What do you need to take off to get to it? Does the tiger ramp need to come off? Would like to see if I can get it working this weekend if I can. Also need to put in half a dozen bulbs or so.

I’ve already fixed the issue with it saving the settings and the spinner in the playfield. Someone must have removed it and installed it 180 degrees off since the plug was off and the connector was on the wring side. Cleaning the opto and turning around the assembly fixed it.

#581 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I went through the whole Bad Cats thread and in one of the early posts saw a picture where the rubber rights sort of melted into the mechanism. I expect to find something similar. I looks like I may need to take off both ramps to do it. If so I'll just wait until I bring it home. I'll need to do a full tear down on the top to clean, wax, and re-ring anyway. Just wanted to see if there was an easier way to pull out that whole mechanism to go through it. At the moment I think that is the only part not working.

This evening we took care of the rest of the lamps. My son helped. One had a broken solder connection on one end of a diode. After that all bulbs appear to be ok.

Got in a few games and it seems like a really fun machine! Will be a surprise for the wife. I think she will like this one!

#582 3 years ago

Of all the pictures in the image gallery for this Bad Cats thread I didn’t notice any that showed the underside of the playfield. Anyone have any for reference?

#584 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have some in my Flickr album -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91696572@N00/albums/72157695702485011
If you need something specific let me know and I can snap a pic of mine.
Chris

Hello Chris,

Those pictures are awesome. What a great reference. One thing I was curious about was the single lamp boards. Mine are red too. I was wondering if they were all like that or if mainly the early ones had them.

I've got my machine running well. Just need to rebuild that linear target for the fish bone-us, clean/wax the playfield, and find 4 plastics. One to the left of the fishbowl ramp is missing and on the right side I have 3 broken plastics to find.

#586 3 years ago

What size rubber rings are needed for the linear target? I’d like to order some so I can have them here before trying to get into that assembly.

#588 3 years ago

I just got an original manual in the mail today and saw that assembly diagram. The illustration is great but it doesn't say what size rubber rings are on assembly #1. From pictures it looks like two regular rubber rings. While I probably have a couple left over rings I'd rather order a couple fresh ones to have before I start. I'd rather not tear off all the ramps, etc to get to it then let it sit for a week waiting on a couple parts. Worst case I can just order a couple each of the small rings just to be covered.

#589 3 years ago

According to the repair log here the rubber rings should be 3/16” in that assembly.

http://www.jeff-z.com/pinball/badcats/repair/repair.html

4 weeks later
#593 3 years ago

What version is your Bad Cats? When I check my game the display shows LA-2 and the sticker on my game ROM shows REV 2. On IPDB.ORG it mentions L-5 so it looks like mine may be running an early version of the code. My game is all orange with the painted cabinet and head and seems to overall be an intact unaltered original early game.

Does anyone know what fixes and updates are in L-5 ?

#598 3 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Hello everyone, just thought I'd post here in addition to my want ad. I'm looking for a Bad Cats within reasonable driving distance of Knoxville TN. I'm ok with cleaning, and mechanical work, but working boards are a must. So, if anyone is considering selling, give me a yell please. I have cash in hand, or a very nice No Good Gophers we might work a deal with. Thanks!

Unless the MPU board is completely trashed by battery damage all the boards can be rebuilt. There are several people that work on them. Just redid the boards on mine, removed the battery holder, added NVRAM, and upgraded to the latest ROM set.

They don't seem to come up that often so you may want to widen your net a bit. If you want the machine and it has board issues that shouldn't hold you back as long as you factor that into the price.

2 months later
#608 3 years ago

I don’t know if it has been mentioned but I believe I found a bug in the most recent code for Bad Cats.

If your current game ends and you want to start another immediately after and press start while the back glass lights are flashing it will start a game but there is no skill shot lit. You lose that initial shot and just light whatever the ball hits without the possibility of a 2x bonus. Rest of the game plays normally. If I wait that doesn’t seem to happen.

Can someone try to replicate this and confirm you see the same behavior? I’m running the latest rom code. Any other odd features to look out for or quirks in the current code?

10 months later
#651 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

This is the first post here in 71 days? Not enough Cats owners out there! I’m joining the club this weekend. Adding a local example in good condition at a reasonable price, with the added bonus of a new CPR gold pf, brand new ramps, plastics, etc. I’m going to do a full restore on it, probably with Radcals, new Xpin display, new legs and rails, all new rubber and bulbs. Should be a beauty when it’s finished. I’ll post pics when it’s done!

Congratulations. It is a fun quirky game that isn't very common. Does yours have decals or a painted cabinet? Seems that some are mix and match too. Also some have black paint around the edge of the head.

Mine is the all orange version with a painted cabinet and head. It's a nice survivor. Had some issues when I got it (wheel in playfield wasn't working) and a bad battery holder. Luckily no battery damage so I just removed the holder and went NVRAM in that board. Just need to rebuild the variable target and replace a few broken plastics. May try to do that this weekend.

Why are you replacing the display? Is the one in it now acting up? Even if a display is out it is still useful for parts. I'd be interested in that as-is.

#661 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks! Yeah, it seemed very fair to me. Here are some “before” restoration pics. It’s already a nice pin and very playable. It’s a great high-end restore candidate.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ok. That looks nice. So why exactly are you thinking radcals? Seriously? I would save those for a trashed cabinet. Unless it looks a lot worse in person I bet you can just clean that up and do some minor touch ups and be good. I would totally prefer a nice original survivor with minor touch ups than a refreshed cabinet. All my games are original but I will probably re-stencil my Grand Lizard. That one needs it.

Wait till you get the game to decide.

Bad Cats is a nice machine. I have mine next to Rocky and Bullwinkle which also has an animated back glass. Both family friendly games.

1 week later
#695 2 years ago

Bad Cats is just a fun quirky game. While it may not be as deep as other games it is one that can just make you smile as you play it. Nice to have a variety of games and this one just appeals to a lot of people. I'm just thankful to have a nice survivor machine. It is sitting next to a Rocky and Bullwinkle (very system 11 like) which also has an animate backglass. and the two work well together as family friendly games.

1 month later
#702 2 years ago

I expect that it is best to keep bulbs for the flame effects for the candle and grill. Mine still has all lamps but may eventually end up going LED for the inserts. I've done color matched inserts on other games with good results. I tend to stay away from super bright LEDs as those are usually annoyingly too bright. I've used those but sparingly.

#704 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Another good option if you do convert to LED and still want a cool effect for the candle and grill are fire bulbs from Comet. They have a twinkling effect that looks great for fire, electricity and lightning effects. They come in red and blue. I use them alot for effect under certain plastics and in backboxes, like the lightning in TAF and Fish Tales translites, and EATPM for the grill and flaming hot dog. Cool effect!

Those are definitely great LED's and I used some behind a Meteor backglass under the rocket exhaust. They work great when powered all the time but I'm not sure how those would work when the MPU is trying to control the flickering on top of that. Won't hurt to try it.

1 month later
#745 2 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

Is there a way to test the operation of the opto with a voltmeter? Right now based on the edge test I would say the opto does not work.
Alberto

I would check for mechanical issues first. When you push the target does the shaft turn the encoder wheel? That is often a problem. If that is working then check for cold or cracked solder connections or a wire that is broken loose.

#759 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Seems like an awful lot for one that hasn't even been swapped. I mean, I love my Bad Cats as much as the next guy but for anywhere NEAR that kind of money I'd be hard pressed to say no. $6K?!

What do you mean hasn’t been swapped? Are you talking about a new reproduction playfield? Many would prefer a really nice original over a reproduction if the price is the same. To me it’s all about the condition of the game whether parts were replaced or not.

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

As would I, but a touched up (and not particularly well, IMO) original, otherwise with factory mylar...for 6K? That's a yikes from me. At that kind of price I'd expect a PROPER restore with mylar removed and clearcoat, or a swap. That's just my opinion though. I certainly could be off base on my evaluation.
My game has an original playfield with factory mylar and it looks/plays well after i tore it apart and rebuilt it..but it's definitely a "player" game IMO. I definitely don't look at it as a $6000 game.

I get that about the touchup work and/or wear. The comment on the playfield swap was more in general and not this specific game for sale.

#776 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Have someone install NVRAM for you, if you are not able to solder.

That is one of the best options. Did that on my Bad Cats and working great ever since. Just need to be really careful unsoldering the original RAM as it is easy to damage the traces and pads on the board if you don't have good desoldering equipment.

#778 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I was worried about this (and my own soldering skills) so I got this instead. Works like a champ.
https://noquartersarcade.com/product/williams-pinball-systems-8-11/
Everyone has their opinions, but this was easiest for me.
Chris

Better than AA batteries! If you have to use AA then the only ones I would consider at the Energizer Lithium AA as they last long and have yet to hear of those leaking (but I guess any can leak)

#782 1 year ago

Paws is watching your progress and wants to see how it turns out....

Paws_BadCats (resized).jpgPaws_BadCats (resized).jpg
#786 1 year ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I am super excited to join the club. The game has been on my radar for years and I have been looking pretty hard for the last couple of years but, nada. But then, yesterday I managed to score a most excellently beautiful, unrestored example at Allentown. I have just returned from my game off-site gameroom where I set it up and played my first (I decided to buy it before finishing the second ball few games with my 15-year-old and it is by far the most beautiful game I have ever owned and way nicer than what I dared to hope for. And it plays like new. Including the fish target.

That's awesome you were finally able to find one. I hope this means you may consider code updates for the game! I know there is at least one bug if you start a new game while the backbox GI is flashing you lose the skill shot on the first ball. I'll be happy to help if I can like I tried to do with Pinbot.

2 months later
#820 1 year ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

R.I.P. Midnight.....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sorry for your loss. Hardest part of having a pet. Hopefully lots of good memories.

2 weeks later
#821 1 year ago

I think I have a flakey switch on my game. Going to try and dig into it this weekend. Anyone happen to know offhand what the 5000 point switches are? Often a game will start with 5000 points.

#823 1 year ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

The drop targets and the dog house. (Not quite off hand but close enough )

I'll be checking these this weekend and will double check all the switches while I am at it. Thank You!

1 month later
#832 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Debating on selling my Bad Cats. It was super hard to find so not 100% it is a good idea to sell. Curious what others think.

Everyone looking for one is going to suggest you sell it. Really it all is on you. Have you played it enough not to miss it if you could never replace it? I had one on the list for a long time and lucked into one. It is just such a family friendly theme that I don't foresee selling. Just a quirky, silly, fun game.

#834 1 year ago
Quoted from freddy:

If you sell it you may never get one again.
Bad cats is a very cool game. My wife’s favorite! ( and she hates cats) she’s still mad I sold it. Meow

So if the game was called Good Cats then maybe she would have been ok with it. (If she hates cats)

#845 1 year ago

There is also a bug if you start a game while the GI is flashing at the end of a prior game you lose the skill shot.

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I cannot replicate this issue on my game. Which version of the code are you running? L5?

I am running the ROM version L5 in my game and it is totally reproducible on my machine. When a game is over you have to wait until the backbox GI starts to do the seizure inducing flicker. If you start a game then for some reason none of the lights will show for the skill shot and you can never it the 2x bonus on launch.

If you press the start button when a game ends before the backbox GI flashes or after it is complete it is fine. But if I press start during that sequence then no skit shot for the first ball of that game.

I had helped testing you PEMBOT code (which is awesome) and will be happy to test any new code for Bad Cats or help with coding in any way. Maybe you can leverage some of the 680x code I did for the Bally Backjack that I updated.

#854 1 year ago

I am having issues with the MILK drop target #3 in my game. Has anyone had issues with the slotted optional sensor? Haven't dug into this much yet but will be doing some troubleshooting this weekend.

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from keanan_connell:

Most likely either just dirty opto or bad solder joint on the optic board. They’re pretty easy to take out and inspect.

So to close the loop on this it was an issue with the opto for the #3 milk target. Solder joints were all ok but a lead was broken off between the sensor body and PCB on the component side. Just soldered on a new lead, re-insalled the sensor, and washed the board.

Working perfect now.

Will probably order some of the replacement optical sensors to keep on hand for next time.

2 weeks later
#886 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Grrr... I'm so close.
I'm down to one flakey light socket, a CPU issue (I'll get to it) and a center post question.
1. Is the centerpost on this standard? Mine has a hole for it but it is missing. Was it shipped empty with the post as an option? What is the default? If you drain hard on mine it pops into the shooter lane and I'm beginning to think the post was originally put there to help that.
2. I'm still getting adjust failure on mine. I'm thinking I need to check the D1 and D2 diode and the memory. When I got it there was no issue, but after moving it after power cycling it immediately pops to "adjust failure" meaning power is not getting to the ram. I'd throw NVRAM in there but it is not socketed. I assumed it was bad battery holders as mine had bad corrosion on it but after replacing it I have the same issue. Other than checking those three things is there anything else I should be doing? I actually threw in a whole refurbished CPU board in to just not have to mess with it but of course the "tested working" one I picked up didn't work at all and I'd already installed a battery offset. I'd like to get the board I have up.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

Should put a label to cover the windows on the EPROM chips when you get a chance. For the settings are you using the coin cell? Is it fresh? Have you checked power from the holder to the power pins on U25. I haven’t had to replace any of the diodes for the battery backed RAM yet.

I had a bad battery holder in mine but just put a socket in U25 for NVRAM. You need good equipment to do that or the board can be easily damaged.

#888 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

So... after replacing the battery holder with an offset, I must have messed something up. After trying it with a multimeter I could not get a tone between the positive and negative leads on the small battery offset board. I must have messed something up. Anyways I've disconnected and reconnected that board 5 times already and didn't want to do it again, so I just installed a battery offset over the new coin cell board. It held a charge just fine overnight. Assuming it is not rapidly depleting the batteries I am just going to keep it as is. I have a replacement D1 and D2 diode on its way in case the batteries are slowly draining. I also have the center post coming and am looking forward to seeing how that effects gameplay. Neat game! Different, but neat!
[quoted image]

If you have the AA batteries wired in you may want to pop out that coin cell.

Sounds like you making progress on the game!

2 months later
#921 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Hi everyone, so SilverUnicorn was nice enough to let me borrow his Rottendog board (thanks again SilverUnicorn!) until my DumbAss board is ready. I am unfortunately having a weird lamp issue where some controlled lights are lighting when they're not supposed to. I have some videos here:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/d9ewdsb60zqy09db7d0gg/h?dl=0&rlkey=hvoak7ay6z3xd7nm6bcuryhqw
Specifically videos 7445 & 7447 that I just took today. In 7445, I show the lights just during regular game play. It looked like a flicker at first, but now realize that it's not random, the lights are just lighting up when another is lighting up. In 7447, I step through the single lamp test mode and other lights lights up when they're not supposed to. I've found they are all the lights on column 3 of the lamp matrix.
Could it really be bad transistor or other component on a relatively new board? I don't know much about these Rottendog boards and this is my first experience with one. I'm used to this with original, old Williams boards, but I guess I'd be surprised since the RD is relatively new. Anything else I should look into?

Have you looked under the playfield carefully to see if there are any pinched wires? Maybe a lamp socket that is bent or touching something it shouldn’t. If it has never worked correctly that you’ve seen is there any evidence of prior work or repairs. So many things are caused by prior repairs done incorrectly, connected wrong, etc.

Your machine sounds like the original board definitely had battery damage and was a bad board. Lots of people buy new boards then put them in only to find the issues they are chasing were in the machine the whole time.

The Rottendog boards for the System 11 have gotten better. There are at least 3 different variations that I know of. Can you post pictures of the board? The latest one has two multiturn trim pots for the audio section. If the board has been moved from game to game who knows if any of them may have done something to the board. I’ve had to repair a couple in the past and found a bad PIA which was easily replaced. You could try swapping the PIA for the lamps with one of the others to see if it clears up the lamp issue.

#923 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

My original Williams board did not have this issue at all. I did not check under the playfield as I never had this issue with the original board;everything was working correctly last time it was on with the original, now with the RD board it's exhibiting this issue. The original board did have really bad alkaline damage and, for a multitude of reasons, I had to get a new board. I will certainly take a look. The original board had only ever been in this game and has a matching serial number to this game. Also, there are pictures of the board in the Dropbox link above. Good idea, I will try swapping PIAs and see if the problem moves or not. Thanks!

That is one of the earlier versions. Since your original board wasn’t showing that sign the definitely try swapping PIA chips. Also things happen when working on the games just unplugging and plugging in connectors and moving harnesses. When things are disturbed new issues can pop up.

4 weeks later
#929 1 year ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Hey everyone. I'm new here. Hoping someone can look at this for me. Attached.
How does this happen? I can't wrap my head around how this could have ever lined up.... I came to post a question about my #2 on seafood lighting up differently than the other seafood lights but really this is the bigger issue. Wtf has happened here, anyone?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine is just like that. Never really noticed it until you pointed it out and I specifically looked for it.

#934 1 year ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Interesting. I'd love to know why all the images I see online show it screwed through the hole. Hmm. Makes me feel better that mine isn't hosed in some horrible way. Thanks!

Is your cabinet painted or stickers? Also, is the cabinet all orange or does it have the black painted trim around the head?

I think my game is an early one. My cabinet is painted and is all orange. I noticed some red boards in your pictures which is also in early machines.

So, maybe the early ones are like this and they fixed it on later games.

2 months later
#1039 11 months ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Absolutely agree. My plan is to thoroughly clean it, install new rubbers and add warm white Comet LEDs to the backglass and playfield to prevent any warmth from warping anything. I figure that LEDs can always be reverted back to incandescents if desired. This is why I choose a Williams battery holder instead of installing an NVRam because I figure this way it keeps it original but installing the lithium batteries prevents corrosion.
When I have some money I’m contemplating getting a repro backglass and storing the original since it seems to be the only one in existence.
It’s tempting to buy new ramps and plastics but I think it def should be left as Python had it. Hoping I can find a temporary home to have it displayed for pinball enthusiasts one day.

Sounds like his game went to the right home!

4 months later
#1142 7 months ago

I would be in for one.

1 month later
#1180 6 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are any of those spots going to be completely hidden once the ramps and plastics are all installed? Some may not mater so much. But I can see where you wouldn't be thrilled to get one new with those spots.

Was this graded? Do they still do that?

1 week later
#1222 6 months ago

I had to fix the OPTO board for the drops in my game. A couple of the leads for the OPTO's broke off right at the PCB. Luckily those boards are easy to repair and don't cost much to repair.

Didn't have any issues with the through hole plating on these. If needed I have eylets for repairs when parts need it to help with mounting the new parts.

1 month later
#1249 5 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

That really seems like an item we, as a community, or we as in me and you, or with DumbAss should reproduce

The Opto board? Is that a needed part? I've made a ton of similar optical encoder boards for my robots. This is just like those and I could easily make some up.

3 months later
#1322 53 days ago

I just looked at mine and both are question marks. I think my game may be an earlier one since it has a painted cabinet and head with all orange. No black trim around the head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-everyone-welcome?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.