IMG_1444 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1907 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1906 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1903 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1905 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1904 (resized).jpeg
20240303_160305 (resized).jpg
20240303_160006 (resized).jpg
There are 1,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 28.
#1001 1 year ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I wish someone had assembled a comet set just as you describe so I didn't screw it up and order the wrong things lol. I'll get to reading. Appreciate the feedback.

I did the same thing mentioned, but used cool white for the GI. I like the crisp look of cool white with the exception of only a few color tones where I use warm or sunlight. Here’s what some of mine look like. I have a few games in sunlight and warm as well that I can photograph later if you’d like to have a side by side comparison. I actually have warm, cold, and sunlight directly next to each other in the lineup.

3496A0B3-2171-4CF7-B83C-B3C5EA71A1F4 (resized).jpeg3496A0B3-2171-4CF7-B83C-B3C5EA71A1F4 (resized).jpeg6BB90395-65D8-427D-8572-1BF8841F4406 (resized).jpeg6BB90395-65D8-427D-8572-1BF8841F4406 (resized).jpeg782D3355-39B3-4E34-AA06-2E8703828EFC (resized).jpeg782D3355-39B3-4E34-AA06-2E8703828EFC (resized).jpegFDDF259F-E2E6-4A19-96A4-6B21B7D61079 (resized).jpegFDDF259F-E2E6-4A19-96A4-6B21B7D61079 (resized).jpeg
#1002 1 year ago

Anyone planning on going to Golden State pinball? But more importantly is anyone going to bring a bad cat?

#1003 1 year ago

Atari_The_Jedi
I may bring a Bad Cats with "Cats Meow" software code

#1004 1 year ago

Have a used set of Bad Cats ramps that I can bring to Pinfest. $40

Ramps are in good shape, the flaps have some wear but the ramps themselves are fine.

I can also ship but will have to figure out shipping costs.

Alberto

1B757148-021A-464C-A66E-4DC7CB52CAA2 (resized).jpeg1B757148-021A-464C-A66E-4DC7CB52CAA2 (resized).jpeg
#1005 1 year ago

I also have tons of parts including ramps in good shape (very similar to the ones posted above), extra plastics in good shape, lots of misc. hardware, etc. If anyone’s looking for any parts, just let me know and I’ll take a look.

#1006 1 year ago

I ran the old magic eraser over and through my ramps today and that helped quite a bit. Was considering replacements but I'm happier now. Hit a few dirty spots (lightly) in the PF and determined I need a new ball, mine is old and saggy. Well old and crappy looking anyway. Lol

#1007 1 year ago

Ordered Comet LED's today, best count I could throw together. Can anyone tell me what they are doing for the jackpot lights that are soldered to the board to swap them, or just leaving them as OG?

#1008 1 year ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Ordered Comet LED's today, best count I could throw together. Can anyone tell me what they are doing for the jackpot lights that are soldered to the board to swap them, or just leaving them as OG?

You pull them straight out just like any other 555 bulb.

#1009 1 year ago

I saw the solder moving on the backside so I didn't do anymore. Thanks. Will do.

Quoted from Jmckune:You pull them straight out just like any other 555 bulb.

#1010 1 year ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I saw the solder moving on the backside so I didn't do anymore. Thanks. Will do.

Reflow that solder!

#1011 1 year ago

Yeah, will do. I can manage that.

Quoted from freddy:Reflow that solder!

#1012 1 year ago

Atari_The_Jedi I've added Bad Cats to the Games I'm bringing to Lodi

#1013 1 year ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

Atari_The_Jedi I've added Bad Cats to the Games I'm bringing to Lodi

Thanks I really appreciate it man you made my day! I'm actually bringing black rose with the 2.0 skull and bones edition. I'm excited to bring something nice, but you'll see me on your bad cats machine.

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Comet LEDs. For Bad Cats, warm white is nice. I used Sunlight (2SMD), which looks awesome; still warm, but not super warm looking and provides a real nice look. Bright, but not too bright. Use frosted for the G.I. and backbox and clear for under inserts. You can color match under the insert to make the colors look really vibrant if you want.
Comet has a few nice pages that give a really good guide on how to pick LEDs for your game. Follow that and you'll be good to go.
https://www.cometpinball.com/pages/the-art-of-pinball-leds
https://www.cometpinball.com/pages/choosing-white-color-for-my-pinball-machine
https://www.cometpinball.com/pages/pinball-led-brightness-chart

I pretty much just order warm frosted 2smd for gi and 1smd for inserts. I buy in bulk and don’t really have to worry. Some folks do like to enhance and match insert colors for a little extra pop.

#1015 1 year ago

Comet created a full kit for me and it's available on their website now. Thanks Greg and the Comet Crew!

#1016 1 year ago

Does anyone have a list, or is there an easy way to order every post, nut, screw, star post, etc whatever that bad cats playfield uses? I'm replacing all the bulbs, rubbers and plastics and it seems like that would make sense to un-hose whatever cobbled together changes others have made along the way.

#1017 1 year ago

Found out that a good deal of the parts are discontinued. Was hoping to get everything together for a restore. Will figure it out lol.

In other news I got one of those fancy schmancy ninja balls and that plus cleaning the playfield, whoa Nellie. Tons faster and smoother.

#1018 1 year ago

Does anyone sell the seafood table "window", I'm not sure how mine will clean up. I can have one made I'm sure, but if it's available, I'd rather not.

#1019 1 year ago

I have a great huo that I am considering parting with. Can deliver to pinfest.

#1020 1 year ago

Is this a "window" in reference to my post or an entire machine?

Quoted from shlockdoc:

I have a great huo that I am considering parting with. Can deliver to pinfest.

#1021 1 year ago

I have rejoined the club!

I'll be posting more information soon but I have been lucky enough to acquire Python's personally owned prototype Bad Cats from a family friend he gifted it to in the late 90's. Oddly, it is missing the latch for the lockdown assembly so I haven't been able to figure out how to unlock the lockdown bar! Really weird. Hopefully I can figure it out.

The AA batteries were completed corroded of course but luckily it doesn't appear the corrosion made its way onto the traces! I was able to fire her up and play some games. Needs a clean up and new rubbers of course as they haven't been touched since the 90's. Note the VERY early backglass that does not show Python's side profile. I've only seen this version on the flyer. Also note the 8/16/89 build date, almost three months before production began.

I've included a few personal photos of Python from the 90's that the family shared with me. They remember him as hilarious and a completely kind soul. I'm hoping to eventually seek out interest in having this machine on display somewhere/museum as I consider it to be a very important piece of pinball history.

IMG_6872 (resized).JPGIMG_6872 (resized).JPGIMG_6873 (resized).JPGIMG_6873 (resized).JPGIMG_6875 (resized).JPGIMG_6875 (resized).JPGIMG_6876 (resized).JPGIMG_6876 (resized).JPGIMG_6878 (resized).JPGIMG_6878 (resized).JPGIMG_6879 (resized).JPGIMG_6879 (resized).JPGIMG_6880 (resized).JPGIMG_6880 (resized).JPGIMG_7715 (resized).JPGIMG_7715 (resized).JPGIMG_7717 (resized).JPGIMG_7717 (resized).JPGIMG_7718 (resized).JPGIMG_7718 (resized).JPGIMG_7754 (resized).JPGIMG_7754 (resized).JPGIMG_7755 (resized).JPGIMG_7755 (resized).JPG
#1022 1 year ago

That's awesome. Put me on the short list of people interested in that unit if you decide to leave the club. Look at that back glass!!!

Quoted from BrewersArcade:

I'll be posting more information soon but I have been lucky enough to acquire Python's personally owned prototype Bad Cats from a family friend he gifted it to in the late 90's. Oddly, it is missing the latch for the lockdown assembly so I haven't been able to figure out how to unlock the lockdown bar! Really weird. Hopefully I can figure it out.
The AA batteries were completed corroded of course but luckily it doesn't appear the corrosion made its way onto the traces! I was able to fire her up and play some games. Needs a clean up and new rubbers of course as they haven't been touched since the 90's. Note the VERY early backglass that does not show Python's side profile. I've only seen this version on the flyer. Also note the 8/16/89 build date, almost three months before production began.
I've included a few personal photos of Python from the 90's that the family shared with me. They remember him as hilarious and a completely kind soul. I'm hoping to eventually seek out interest in having this machine on display somewhere/museum as I consider it to be a very important piece of pinball history.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#1023 1 year ago

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What an amazing piece of pinball history. Very cool!

Chris

#1024 1 year ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Is this a "window" in reference to my post or an entire machine?

This is an entire pin

IMG_0180 (resized).jpegIMG_0180 (resized).jpeg
#1025 12 months ago

Can someone send me a few really good pics of the wires going into the bottom connectors on the cpu board and the board below it? Looking for where a black with blue dots wire came from that I found loose. Can't find a good enough picture to track it down. TiA

#1026 12 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Can someone send me a few really good pics of the wires going into the bottom connectors on the cpu board and the board below it? Looking for where a black with blue dots wire came from that I found loose. Can't find a good enough picture to track it down. TiA

https://www.ipdb.org/files/127/Williams_1989_Bad_Cats_Operations_Manual_November_1989_includes_schematics.pdf

I’m believe it’s j3connector 7th spot. Display

BA9C4EE0-9298-4520-BDC5-CCDA119C42BE (resized).jpegBA9C4EE0-9298-4520-BDC5-CCDA119C42BE (resized).jpeg
#1027 12 months ago
#1028 12 months ago

Mine was black with blue, so it was j12-11 and then I found a black with orange also torn loose, j12 14. Back in biz. Thanks so much.

#1029 12 months ago

Super freaking amazing! I love everything about this.

#1030 12 months ago

Today was my lucky day. The batteries that had been left in Python’s Bad Cats since the 90’s were badly corroded but somehow didn’t leak onto the MPU. I replaced the battery holder with a proper Williams one and installed lithium batteries to prevent any chance of future leakage. The MPU is spotless and so freaking clean being from 1989! A few more pics of the prototype backglass and “edits” that were made on the playfield around the seafood wheel. It seems they added decals to update the scoring.

IMG_7835 (resized).jpegIMG_7835 (resized).jpegIMG_7836 (resized).jpegIMG_7836 (resized).jpeg
#1031 12 months ago
IMG_7822 (resized).jpegIMG_7822 (resized).jpegIMG_7826 (resized).jpegIMG_7826 (resized).jpegIMG_7838 (resized).jpegIMG_7838 (resized).jpegIMG_7839 (resized).jpegIMG_7839 (resized).jpeg
#1032 12 months ago

"instant Jackpot" was under "lights Jackpot" cool

Today was my lucky day. The batteries that had been left in Python’s Bad Cats since the 90’s were badly corroded but somehow didn’t leak onto the MPU. I replaced the battery holder with a proper Williams one and installed lithium batteries to prevent any chance of future leakage. The MPU is spotless and so freaking clean being from 1989! A few more pics of the prototype backglass and “edits” that were made on the playfield around the seafood wheel. It seems they added decals to update the scoring.
[quoted image][quoted image]

#1033 12 months ago

Would be fun to see what version that game code and sounds are compared to production.

#1034 12 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Would be fun to see what version that game code and sounds are compared to production.

I’ll grab more pics tomorrow. Pretty sure audio is L1 but seems the software may be L5??

IMG_7812 (resized).jpegIMG_7812 (resized).jpegIMG_7819 (resized).jpegIMG_7819 (resized).jpeg
#1035 12 months ago

Would be epic if the sound rom is different, if someone could dump it/copy it.

#1036 12 months ago

Something else interesting... I believe it was understood that all very early production bad cats had orange on orange heads.... and that one is orange with black just like mine, a later, early production unit.

#1037 12 months ago

Will you be restoring this? I like to see restorations but in this case I think it'd be better left as-is. There is so much history here. So cool!

Chris

#1038 12 months ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Will you be restoring this? I like to see restorations but in this case I think it'd be better left as-is. There is so much history here. So cool!
Chris

Absolutely agree. My plan is to thoroughly clean it, install new rubbers and add warm white Comet LEDs to the backglass and playfield to prevent any warmth from warping anything. I figure that LEDs can always be reverted back to incandescents if desired. This is why I choose a Williams battery holder instead of installing an NVRam because I figure this way it keeps it original but installing the lithium batteries prevents corrosion.

When I have some money I’m contemplating getting a repro backglass and storing the original since it seems to be the only one in existence.

It’s tempting to buy new ramps and plastics but I think it def should be left as Python had it. Hoping I can find a temporary home to have it displayed for pinball enthusiasts one day.

#1039 12 months ago

Absolutely agree. My plan is to thoroughly clean it, install new rubbers and add warm white Comet LEDs to the backglass and playfield to prevent any warmth from warping anything. I figure that LEDs can always be reverted back to incandescents if desired. This is why I choose a Williams battery holder instead of installing an NVRam because I figure this way it keeps it original but installing the lithium batteries prevents corrosion.
When I have some money I’m contemplating getting a repro backglass and storing the original since it seems to be the only one in existence.
It’s tempting to buy new ramps and plastics but I think it def should be left as Python had it. Hoping I can find a temporary home to have it displayed for pinball enthusiasts one day.

Sounds like his game went to the right home!

#1040 12 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Would be epic if the sound rom is different, if someone could dump it/copy it.

I could dump the ROMs. Would just have to send to me, could copy then send right back. I could then send the files to idealjoker , maybe he might want to check it out be see if there’s any differences compared to the official production versions. Might be interesting!

#1041 12 months ago

I have sourced a giant bag of the seafood wheel screws that nobody sells. I have approximately 984027 of them extra if anyone needs some. Lol

#1042 12 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

I have sourced a giant bag of the seafood wheel screws that nobody sells. I have approximately 984027 of them extra if anyone needs some. Lol

I’d take some. Is it for the plastic cover over the seafood wheel or something different?

#1043 12 months ago

For the clear cover on the playfield.

I’d take some. Is it for the plastic cover over the seafood wheel or something different?

#1044 12 months ago

I have this figured out now. I can mail them in a small padded envelope for the cost of a stamp, and the little padded envelope so call it $2 via zelle or venmo. Pm me your info and I'll send you mine. I'll send you 8, just in case.

#1045 12 months ago

Everyone that sent me a PM, your order is packed, I still about 576035 screws left lol

scratch that, down to 49001 screws left.

#1046 11 months ago

Anyone else need screws?

#1047 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Anyone else need screws?

Sure! Pm sent
Thank you

#1048 11 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Anyone else need screws?

I could use some if you have any of the 91,412 left

Chris

#1049 11 months ago

Pm me. Hurry though, I'm down to 64394

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I could use some if you have any of the 91,412 left
Chris

#1050 11 months ago

It's funny how you can completely miss things on your machine... Or maybe it's just me. 100 times I've mentally registered that my display on BC is black, not green and doesn't have a cover over the back. I've even noticed the x- whatever part # but it's not really occurred to me until right now that all that means it's an xpin aftermarket display in it that probably has brightness adjustments. Just durrrrrrr

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,400 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-cats-everyone-welcome/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.