(Topic ID: 268492)

Bridge Rectifier Question (WPC / White Water)

By lpeters82

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200512_124003 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Recently started having reset issue on my White Water, which quickly evolved into the game not booting. I've not very good with board work, but I think I have traced the problem to this bridge rectifier. In reverse direction all others null out, but this one does not. That certainly could cause these issues, correct? Is there anything else I should replace, while I'm replacing this one?

20200512_124003 (resized).jpg20200512_124003 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Anyone? In the forward direction the resistance is about 500, so the reverse isn't wide open, but my understanding is this should be null.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

You can't test the rectifiers while in circuit. If you have problems with game resetting, replace BR2 and C5.

First, thank you for the reply. Second, is that true? I was following the PinWiki. I just wasn't sure if any variance was acceptable or if it was null or replace.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Failed_Bridge_Rectifier

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

It's hard to tell from the pic exactly but it looks like you may have your meter leads going in a direction that does not tell you much about a bridge.

Sorry, it was hard to do with one hand while taking a picture. What I'm showing here red on AC and black on negative. It's the last step in the PinWiki.

Quoted from barakandl:

When its a complete rectifier package it seems backwards but... red lead on - and then use black lead probe both AC pins for ~0.600v . Then go black lead on + and read lead probe both AC pins for ~0.600.

Most common way a bridge fails is shorted which will result in 0.00v test. Some will fail open reading open circuit. When there is caps in circuit your DMM leads will charge up the cap and effect reading, but you will still be able to detect a shorted bridge.

In that open direction I get between .5 and .7 on all diodes. In the closed direction I get a null reading on all diodes except for this bridge rectifier.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

In-circuit, you can test if the rectifier is open or shorted, but you will not be able to see if it fails under load. It is a cheap component to replace, so if any doubt, put in a new one. But take care when unsoldering, not to damage the circuit board thru holes.

Okay, I don't think I would have the equipment to test it under load anyway.

#9 3 years ago

I don't know the answer to the bridge rectifier question, but upon a third inspection of the roms, one of the pins was bent. Perhaps a secondary problem, but things are working great now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lpeters82.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bad-bridge-rectifier-white-water?tu=lpeters82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.