Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 660 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by kciaccio
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6CCCFCC7-4C18-45CC-BAE6-D28C9398F75E.gif
    E6E3FF10-4C5E-4EEF-BD19-3DEC5E083748 (resized).jpeg
    D00B7C0B-BB79-4F44-90C6-5202495F7ECE (resized).jpeg
    D2F8EE23-80C9-4A16-8BDA-BC49765A1BCF (resized).jpeg
    709ED91A-18D6-4CEC-BFA9-C3E09D69C034 (resized).jpeg
    4119E2B4-6DB6-4675-9B3D-BC907269602C (resized).jpeg
    D48BC97A-EE8F-4010-B258-4DAF09D8F486 (resized).jpeg
    AA1E122B-A07A-476D-9426-4E1C48F3BF50 (resized).jpeg
    DD597B70-1AC9-44FA-A4BF-E315E00B69A5 (resized).jpeg
    07107AB8-D167-4146-86BD-BCF1A2528FA1 (resized).jpeg
    64F86A4C-5972-4020-8B94-BDD491E0E329 (resized).jpeg
    6D96330F-01AE-49DD-8031-71AC610B810F (resized).jpeg
    8547DD24-91BB-4123-B8DD-48ADF48EED90 (resized).jpeg
    2BC2432B-23DD-402A-AAB0-FE7379757ECE (resized).jpeg
    96D7EC5A-8990-4BFA-BF20-54FA769AA686 (resized).jpeg
    Wayne's World small.gif
    There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
    #101 6 years ago

Oh that's right, I saw the ridges in the roofing and didn't put 2 and 2 together.

#102 6 years ago

Currently my favorite thread on Pinside.

#103 6 years ago

looking great!

#104 6 years ago

Hi,

I'm really impatient to see next steps...

#105 6 years ago

Great looking gameroom build Chosen_S. I'm 5 months late... but Following now!
    ~Steveo

#106 6 years ago

I can only see the skeleton of the building and I'm already jealous. Nice work.

#107 6 years ago

Thanks guys, I’m bustin a$$ every day,

I’m at a place where I may need some heavy equipment again, my uncle tells me he’s got a fire mans ladder I can use to put on the upper sheets. I’m trying to determine the best course of action, I have a few ideas

Apparently the hurricanes have created high demand for 7/16” 4x8’ osb, it’s shot up to over $17 per sheet! Insane, I still need a whole bunch of it too , grrrrr

Pics tomorrow

#108 6 years ago

How much to have a crane truck deliver sheets to the top of the roof? Seriously is a pain pushing sheets up that high. Otherwise three people. Two on roof with ropes, to pull sheets up and one on the ground floor to tie the ropes around each end of each sheet.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

How much to have a crane truck deliver sheets to the top of the roof? Seriously is a pain pushing sheets up that high. Otherwise three people. Two on roof with ropes, to pull sheets up and one on the ground floor to tie the ropes around each end of each sheet.

The roof is steel so no sheets needed up there.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thanks guys, I’m bustin a$$ every day,
    I’m at a place where I may need some heavy equipment again, my uncle tells me he’s got a fire mans ladder I can use to put on the upper sheets. I’m trying to determine the best course of action, I have a few ideas
    Apparently the hurricanes have created high demand for 7/16” 4x8’ osb, it’s shot up to over $17 per sheet! Insane, I still need a whole bunch of it too , grrrrr
    Pics tomorrow

I would think the best way would be to rent some scaffolding. 2 men on the scaffolding positioning and screwing it and one person on the bottom with a 2x4 brace proping the sheet in place to be screwed down.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Yes, roof is done I hustled those sheets up myself’ one level at a time

Quoted from MustangPaul:

The roof is steel so no sheets needed up there.

I would think the best way would be to rent some scaffolding. 2 men on the scaffolding positioning and screwing it and one person on the bottom with a 2x4 brace proping the sheet in place to be screwed down.

Scaffolding is also a great idea, and a 2x4.
    Looks like I may need to commission a few buddies, although I do have this wild idea that involves a bucket of bricks, some paracord and a few screws- Merica!

#111 6 years ago

This is gonna be really nice. Wish I could build something like this on my property.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yes, roof is done I hustled those sheets up myself’ one level at a time

Scaffolding is also a great idea, and a 2x4.
    Looks like I may need to commission a few buddies, although I do have this wild idea that involves a bucket of bricks, some paracord and a few screws- Merica!

When you overlaped the roof sheets what did you use to seal them with?

Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

This is gonna be really nice. Wish I could build something like this on my property.

Thank you buddy

Quoted from MustangPaul:

When you overlaped the roof sheets what did you use to seal them with?
    Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

The roofing is glued at the seams with mastic, and then joining screws tighten the mastic seal.

Started sheeting, read code last night that the 2nd floor needs the panels vertical to provide the best stability against wind, and I figured plywood is the best choice. I removed an 8’ panel and put up a vertical sheet

7BB38181-F1F5-49DB-805A-BF59AFD554B7 (resized).jpeg7BB38181-F1F5-49DB-805A-BF59AFD554B7 (resized).jpeg

#114 6 years ago

Nice. Do they want you to stagger the vertical sheet? Good choice with using plywood. I was going to suggest that, makes the 2nd floor much stronger.

#115 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice. Do they want you to stagger the vertical sheet? Good choice with using plywood. I was going to suggest that, makes the 2nd floor much stronger.

I’m not real sure on the staggering, but, I put them vertical anyway

184FC299-9FCA-46A8-9E59-7970FD4048F6 (resized).jpeg184FC299-9FCA-46A8-9E59-7970FD4048F6 (resized).jpeg

#116 6 years ago

Lookin good. Those top ones are gonna be fun. Be safe an that ladder doin those.

#117 6 years ago

Awesome thread ! I was just looking through some of your post and I didn't see anything in regards to engineering calcs on the structure. Does your township not require them? I can't imagine the powers that be allowing construction of a 2 story structure without proper wind loads, seismic, or deflection criteria outlined in a stamped package.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I’m not real sure on the staggering, but, I put them vertical anyway

staggering is a good idea and will add strength. You will have to rip the top sheets anyway, so might as well put the rip on the bottom of the next column. Like laying hardwood you dont want multiple rows/colums with the same seam.

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Awesome thread ! I was just looking through some of your post and I didn't see anything in regards to engineering calcs on the structure. Does your township not require them? I can't imagine the powers that be allowing construction of a 2 story structure without proper wind loads, seismic, or deflection criteria outlined in a stamped package.

I have an engineer stamped package for the metal structure, I’m awaiting the inspection for the 2nd floor, as well as having a professional look over my work... the city wants to do an electrical inspection and follow up with a framing inspection; 2 different inspectors. I’m trying to have the city reverse that order so I can fix any issues before I run electrical

Quoted from Whysnow:

staggering is a good idea and will add strength. You will have to rip the top sheets anyway, so might as well put the rip on the bottom of the next column. Like laying hardwood you dont want multiple rows/colums with the same seam.

You’re right, I’m going to let a pro take a look to see what the consensus is before my metal siding goes on, if code forces me to stagger, I guess I’ll be pulling sheets and redoing them Again.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have an engineer stamped package for the metal structure, I’m awaiting the inspection for the 2nd floor, as well as having a professional look over my work... the city wants to do an electrical inspection and follow up with a framing inspection; 2 different inspectors. I’m trying to have the city reverse that order so I can fix any issues before I run electrical

You’re right, I’m going to let a pro take a look to see what the consensus is before my metal siding goes on, if code forces me to stagger, I guess I’ll be pulling sheets and redoing them Again.

Your gonna insulate it too right? Besides all those permits you got I had to get an insulation permit and inspection and a gas heater permit too.

#121 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your gonna insulate it too right? Besides all those permits you got I had to get an insulation permit and inspection and a gas heater permit too.

Yes, I’ll insulate too, no permit necessary for it or heater

#122 6 years ago

It has been great to see the progress. Keep the reports and photos coming.

Looking at the latest photos, for sure that structure would not be approved by my local government, for a residential zoned lot.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yes, I’ll insulate too, no permit necessary for it or heater

But you're gonna put up a vapor barrier on the inside right?

#124 6 years ago

Very cool project...and thread!

Keep posting those pics and can't wait to see the finished project.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

But you're gonna put up a vapor barrier on the inside right?

I’ll flash the bottom seam, and tyvek wrap the outside (vapor barrier) and insulate the interior with a mix of 2” closed cell foam and spray in foam.

We have light restrictions on insulation due to the mild winters in West Texas, I could even get away with just exterior vapor barrier and no insulation and still heat and cool

#126 6 years ago

Well Tyvek breaths so it't not a vapor barrier, 4 to 6 mil plastic sheeting is a vapor barrier and put on the inside on top of the insulation, except sprayed foam then the drywall goes on top of that. But not in your area?

#127 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well Tyvek breaths so it't not a vapor barrier, 4 to 6 mil plastic sheeting is a vapor barrier and put on the inside on top of the insulation, except sprayed foam then the drywall goes on top of that. But not in your area?

All that is required is tyvek or zip board system on the outer sheeting but behind the outer layer (brick, Vaneer, or siding) , on the interior; only insulation and drywall, how much insulation is up to the builder, 2” foam does the trick around here.

I guess there is not much in the way of regulation on the insulation here, we get a lot of wind, not much rain, not much snow or ice, coldest it gets here in the dead of winter is about 12 degrees, maybe colder with wind chill, but not often. My shop at work is fairly insulated and in 10 years I have not seen it get colder than 30 degrees.

However, it gets really hot, sometimes 115, so we have to insulate the roof very well to deflect heat, that’s usually the main concern.

Quoted from kid_ego:

Very cool project...and thread!
    Keep posting those pics and can't wait to see the finished project.

Thanks a lot! I’m working hard

#128 6 years ago

If using spray foam , for the love of god put additional power points etc as no hope of running cables in the future!!

#129 6 years ago

Spray foam will help with the heat.

Real example in this thread http://pinballrevolution.com/threads/building-a-dream.429/page-19#post-42399

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

But not in your area?

Have you been to West Texas Paul? I think they’re still in search of vapor in that area!!

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

If using spray foam , for the love of god put additional power points etc as no hope of running cables in the future!!

Totally plan to, they’ll be everywhere, even floor and ceiling, and every 5 will be on a 20 amp breaker .

Quoted from eh97ac:

Spray foam will help with the heat.
    Real example in this thread http://pinballrevolution.com/threads/building-a-dream.429/page-19#post-42399

Check this out...

I know this cuts into how much time the process will take, but I’m trying to save $$ on what I can... there’s still games to be bought right!?
    I will probably get a 1/3 in to the process and decide to spray anyway, who knows.

Now, I still plan to spray the ceiling on the 2nd floor, there’s no way I’m doing that by hand, I may even contract it out.

Quoted from Pinzap:

Have you been to West Texas Paul? I think they’re still in search of vapor in that area!!

In fact, there’s such a lack of vapor, stores have popped up selling the stuff in small quantities.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vape+shop+midland+tx&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&dlnr=1&sei=b6fsWde4GejRjwTu75OIAw

Yesterday’s work... yes I know my staggering sucks, I’ll change it if my pro home builder buddy says I need to, over the phone he said the inspector won’t look for it.

I discovered that I need more of a gap in the top sheets to allow for flashing. I’ll be fixing that today, also...

I bet my neighbors are looking forward to their privacy again (they moved in about a year ago and immediately raised the cinderblock fence 2 blocks)

308D8CDF-DCB3-4EF9-B07F-0F5CDC169CDB (resized).jpeg308D8CDF-DCB3-4EF9-B07F-0F5CDC169CDB (resized).jpeg

337A69B0-DA6C-4784-A02F-0D482326D366 (resized).jpeg337A69B0-DA6C-4784-A02F-0D482326D366 (resized).jpeg

B22CC929-1404-4E50-9FB1-89E5700D12EA (resized).jpegB22CC929-1404-4E50-9FB1-89E5700D12EA (resized).jpeg

A1005E5D-6593-4763-A4E9-D77036E6A3AD (resized).jpegA1005E5D-6593-4763-A4E9-D77036E6A3AD (resized).jpeg

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Yup on the way to Los Crusis, NM. Almost got blown off the road buy the side winds.

#133 6 years ago

Not much new to report, I had 2 pros come by to look things over and give me a few things to fix...

I’m still sheeting the sides, I got some scaffolding that’s a pain to move, but is great for getting the hard to reach stuff safely.

I went back and re framed the areas on the walls on the 2nd floor where the sheets vertical breaks showed, I’ll finish sheeting the west wall tomorrow and finish all of the screw work on the sheets as well (have to have a screw or nail every 6” on the frame through the sheet, I previously thought it was every 1’)

Installed hurricane ties to the roof purlin .

#134 6 years ago

Nice that you had it looked at before the inspectors came out. Maybe it would be a good idea to put some kind of ties on the wall studs where they meet the floor plate, or every other stud. Just guessing here. I always overbuild everything.

#135 6 years ago

Dig the pics with the lawn furniture on the second floor one heck of a tree house / fort at this point.... Got to be a good time chilling out up there this time of year.

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

Dig the pics with the lawn furniture on the second floor one heck of a tree house / fort at this point.... Got to be a good time chilling out up there this time of year.

You bet! Already had a few guys nights up there with drinks and cigars.

West wall sheeting done, sealing and insulation should be fun... the sheets were not planned out well, I’ll take more time planning the other walls when the sheets are cut, live and learn

925D4A0C-7A6C-46C1-9BB8-2C386D3CC442 (resized).jpeg925D4A0C-7A6C-46C1-9BB8-2C386D3CC442 (resized).jpeg

FFCB6263-4504-493E-91DD-F5A761A267D7 (resized).jpegFFCB6263-4504-493E-91DD-F5A761A267D7 (resized).jpeg

#137 6 years ago

Got the rest of the screws/nails in the north wall, started removing the nails from the upper floor to replace any moldy insulation, I’ll remove the screws and 3/4” sheets soon

BF4426F8-565D-4039-8709-9C779931A2A2 (resized).jpegBF4426F8-565D-4039-8709-9C779931A2A2 (resized).jpeg

#138 6 years ago

To soon for mold I would think. I hope you use all screws on the new flooring, you'll never have a squeak.

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

To soon for mold I would think. I hope you use all screws on the new flooring, you'll never have a squeak.

Who knows, but since it got wet like it did, I’m going to check , I need to reset the sheets more staggered than I did and sand down the edges and paint the entire floor to seal it, should be fun!

#140 6 years ago

Oh yeah you have to take it all apart and probably throw the insulation away and dry the wood and everything with fans for a few days, but with your dry heat it should dry fast. Is the insulation fiberglass? I used 2 coats of the high traffic floor paint on the wood floor portion in my garage then I covered it with 10x17 piece of that drive on plastic cement floor covering from Menards, but you won't be doing that.

1 week later
    #141 6 years ago

Started pulling apart the floor, lots to clean under the insulation, no big deal

27653656-0476-4131-A157-4ABD791CDC36 (resized).jpeg27653656-0476-4131-A157-4ABD791CDC36 (resized).jpeg

73AF2C82-EB40-46B6-8B0D-4A8F8F28CA9F (resized).jpeg73AF2C82-EB40-46B6-8B0D-4A8F8F28CA9F (resized).jpeg

209F4AFE-34D9-459D-A181-FBD39B81752E (resized).jpeg209F4AFE-34D9-459D-A181-FBD39B81752E (resized).jpeg

A65C89B6-45FF-4E9E-B1CA-741ADC6B94F4 (resized).jpegA65C89B6-45FF-4E9E-B1CA-741ADC6B94F4 (resized).jpeg

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Started pulling apart the floor, lots to clean under the insulation, no big deal

What a mess, you buy that stuff by the case. Hose it down, let it dry then hose it down and let it dry REAL good then you'll be ready to go.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What a mess, you buy that stuff by the case. Hose it down, let it dry then hose it down and let it dry REAL good then you'll be ready to go.

Ha! At $14 a bottle, I have 2, I’ll go back for a third to finish it off. It actually goes a long way covering every cavity

#144 6 years ago

Damn that's expensive, probably just bleach too.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Damn that's expensive, probably just bleach too.

Nope, it’s not bleach I have that too, this stuff is pretty special anti-mold, I’ll get a pic of the label tomorrow

3 weeks later
    #146 6 years ago

Floor cleaned and put back together... check

Building wrapped... check

Bottom outside edges flashed... check

Doors installed... check

Fixed big 2nd story header top plate... check

1st floor window frame made... check

Bought 2 pins that I don’t need... check

Finished bottom cabinet of Medusa restore... check

Led’d color changing spare earthshaker playfield for overhead lighting... check

Next...
    Start sections of exterior with Hardie plank
    Get electrical boxes installed
    Run electrical wire and conduit
    Install overhead lights
    Install window
    Sand, level and seal 2nd story sub floor
    Electrical inspection

181BC27F-6A8C-478E-8216-94D44BCB4B0C (resized).jpeg181BC27F-6A8C-478E-8216-94D44BCB4B0C (resized).jpeg

89EF3C41-402B-4FDD-9F1A-E5326873DFE7 (resized).jpeg89EF3C41-402B-4FDD-9F1A-E5326873DFE7 (resized).jpeg

4E4161C4-3A5B-4248-A36E-17080E3A16E3 (resized).jpeg4E4161C4-3A5B-4248-A36E-17080E3A16E3 (resized).jpeg

5C731662-3294-46F1-B467-F99937A6E298 (resized).jpeg5C731662-3294-46F1-B467-F99937A6E298 (resized).jpeg

BD826B97-B2F5-4566-8447-A98400FA9A81 (resized).jpegBD826B97-B2F5-4566-8447-A98400FA9A81 (resized).jpeg

41E948BB-4714-4395-A58F-265CF6738143 (resized).jpeg41E948BB-4714-4395-A58F-265CF6738143 (resized).jpeg

724312C0-F4A0-439E-A96E-3E7B346392B2 (resized).jpeg724312C0-F4A0-439E-A96E-3E7B346392B2 (resized).jpeg

3A94C0C8-C9D6-4AA9-B329-9A5DF0C1185C (resized).jpeg3A94C0C8-C9D6-4AA9-B329-9A5DF0C1185C (resized).jpeg

77654D8B-9238-4DF9-B661-28E5B4C2551A (resized).jpeg77654D8B-9238-4DF9-B661-28E5B4C2551A (resized).jpeg

#147 6 years ago

Looking good!

#148 6 years ago

Just a quick tip, if the metal clad door is like the ones we have in Australia, make sure you seal the edges with a suitable sealant, as well around the door knob to the outside. Water eventually gets in and rots them out from the inside.

Looking good!!

#149 6 years ago

looking great!!!

#150 6 years ago

The Wife and I are looking to relocate! I have been following your build with much interest,as i will probably have to do the very same thing!Thank-you for this sharing! Mine will have to be 3 times this size

There are 660 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backyard-gameroom-in-the-desert/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.