(Topic ID: 195233)

Backglass/mech panel clearance?

By PinballFever

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wood piece (resized).jpg
    20170806_150121 (resized).jpg
    20170806_150019 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Should there be a clearance between the backglass and the front of the mech panel so they're not touching?

There is a groove all the way around the backbox that the backglass goes in from the top so the question is how far should the mech panel be from the groove or should it be flush with the groove?

There are four screws that go through the backbox on the sides holding the mech panel in place. I may have to fill in the old screw holes and drill new ones after repairing the mech panel then re-position it in the backbox if necessary.

Bruce

20170806_150019 (resized).jpg20170806_150019 (resized).jpg

20170806_150121 (resized).jpg20170806_150121 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Yes, there should be clearance. In fact Gottlieb used to put small pieces of foam on the backglass to ensure that they didn't touch. Eventually, the glue in the foam would affect the ink on the backglass and cause a defect.

#3 6 years ago

What clearance would you recommend? This is a 1953 Williams and fortunately no foam was used. I'm thinking the mech panel should be close to the backglass to light it properly but how close is safe? (I'm planning to use the warm frosted white LED bulbs and the backglass will be sealed).

Thanks,
    Bruce

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

What clearance would you recommend? This is a 1953 Williams and fortunately no foam was used. I'm thinking the mech panel should be close to the backglass to light it properly but how close is safe? (I'm planning to use the warm frosted white LED bulbs and the backglass will be sealed).
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I have used strips of the fuzzy side of Velcro to keep the backglass away from the board instead of the foam on Gottliebs. Works great.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

I have used strips of the fuzzy side of Velcro to keep the backglass away from the board instead of the foam on Gottliebs. Works great.

I may have to do that. I'll check the clearance after repairing this mech panel. (Someone screwed rectangular wood pieces too tightly against the middle back of the mech panel for years causing what you see in the photos)

Also the bottom corner piece was incorrect and I removed it. I need to either make or find the right triangular brace for that area

Bruce

Wood piece (resized).jpgWood piece (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

This is what I do and I highly recommend doing it. No foam of any kind.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

This is what I do and I highly recommend doing it. No foam of any kind.

Yeah, I stole the idea from you.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll try this after repairing the backbox board.

Bruce

#9 6 years ago

From what I've seen the old Williams sliding out backglasses made for lots of long scrapes in the ink when removed. Had one pretty bad repair job from that.
    They were just too close together.

I use self stick felt to separate.
    Also on these old Williams glasses that pull out from the top (this is what you have?) I slip a piece of thin cardboard in the slot along with the glass, then pull out the cardboard. Then do the opposite when removing. This protects the ink when sliding.

But that's only if you have enough room for a thin piece of cardboard.

Alan

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from P2K:

Also on these old Williams glasses that pull out from the top (this is what you have?) I slip a piece of thin cardboard in the slot along with the glass, then pull out the cardboard. Then do the opposite when removing. This protects the ink when sliding.

That's a good idea and (yes that's what I have.) I'll give it a try. I was fortunate the broken backbox board didn't break the glass and that most of the artwork is still good. (it's in my avatar) This is a game you don't come across often.

Bruce

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglassmech-panel-clearance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.