(Topic ID: 234388)

Backglass temperature???

By PinballFever

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Seeking you guys' opinions on turning on a game or playing a game when it's cold outside.

It's cold and wintery here outside (32 degrees) but the door to the "game room" in our house is open, the room is carpeted and it's at "room temperature", our central heating's thermostat is set to 74 degrees and I confirmed the heater vents are open in the room. The game is about 10 feet away from the window.

The backglass still feels cold to touch when I feel it. Is there a risk of the bulbs behind it heating up the cold paint and causing it to delaminate if I turn on the game?

Or is it OK to turn on the game and let the lights warm it up or better to wait until it's warmer outside?

#3 5 years ago

Our games are inside the house in the third bedroom which is heated via the central heating system set to a comfortable 74 degrees so the air feels the same temperature as in the living room, etc. but I decided to feel the backglass and it does feel cold to the touch. (not the normal slightly cold touch)

Know what I mean? I'm beginning to think it's not good to turn them on or play them even inside the house during cold weather if the glass feels cold to the touch.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

For example moving a machine from a warm house out to a vehicle to transport it. Or buying a machine from a cold garage then loading it into your vehicle with heat cranked up on your way home.

Good point. I've always made sure to wait some time after bringing a game inside from the cold before turning it on but rapid temperature changes like loading a machine from a cold environment into a hot environment or the other way around is something to keep in mind too.

Quoted from Mopar:

It's rapid temperature changes that most likely would be a problem to backglasses.
    It sounds like you have your machines in near perfect conditions..

Yeah, they're inside my house and it's probably OK to turn them on and play them during the winter as long as the room is kept warm. (the backglasses on two of them are in beautiful original condition)

Thanks for your answers, guys.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballFever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-temperature?tu=PinballFever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.