Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by hoov
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a lucky hand backglass that is peeling pretty bad. iI am afraid to use triple think because i may loose a good portion of the backglass. What is recommended for a backglass like this Is there a mylar I can just put on the backglass to hold everything in place.

#2 10 years ago

Clear silicone might be a little more forgiving than a solid medium like polyurethane or acrylic. Mylar is an option, but once you put it on there's no taking it off.

#3 10 years ago

Believe it or not, clear (3m brand) packing tape actually works quite nicely as opposed to mylar. Reason being much easier to apply. I once did this to a Capt. Card glass that had large chunks starting to flake off. You can do it one strip at a time, being selective if you are only doing part of the glass. Mylar is much harder to peel and stick in my opinion. I usually do triple thick, but in extreme cases, this method might be considered. Good Luck!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Believe it or not, clear (3m brand) packing tape actually works quite nicely as opposed to mylar. Reason being much easier to apply. I once did this to a Capt. Card glass that had large chunks starting to flake off. You can do it one strip at a time, being selective if you are only doing part of the glass. Mylar is much harder to peel and stick in my opinion. I usually do triple thick, but in extreme cases, this method might be considered. Good Luck!

Agree with stashboy on this method.

Another method is to apply a heavy coat of TT and "suck it down" with plastic wrap - only problem is when you use TT on a glass as bad as yours the compressed air from the rattle can may blow off some of the paint in the process of applying.

That's why I like the packing tape method - do it carefully and you might save more of the paint.

#5 10 years ago

I would spray it (over spray lightly so it doesn't blow off the paint) and then when it drys then come back on with packing tape. The only thing I don't like about packing tape is you can see the bubbles in the clear windows. Seems like you have to go back and cut them out with a straight edge and razor.

#6 10 years ago

I have used triple thick on gottlieb back glass that had a lot of lose paint and did not lose any more paint .Tape off display area with low adhesion painters and put down several very light coats of triple thick

#7 10 years ago

Newbie here. What is triple thick? Thanks.

#9 10 years ago

Make sure you get the one Garret posted - Krylon Triple-thick Crystal Clear Glaze 0500. They make other products that are similar but this is the one to ask for.

Triple-thick is good for sealing backglasses where paint is "lifting" or flaking away. This lifting is usually caused by bulb heat - back in the day, these machines we're left on the whole time the business the open to draw customers. Great idea - not good for the backglass paint though. If your glass is new or has scratches, nicks, gouges, or anything that's not lifting or bubbling DONT USE THIS PRODUCT. Better off to leave it alone.

After 3 coats of this products are sprayed on the glass in a left to right sweeping motion - turning the glass each time for a different direction - you can apply acrylic paints to touch up the spots that are lifting after the Triple-thick is applied. I have about 100 small bottles I bought several years ago. I usually put a coat of white over that to block light. Then, reseal your touch-ups with a smaller amount of Triple-thick. Take your backglass into a hobby store (tell them you're an artist )) You may have to buy a few bottles of each color to mix to get the right backglass color. Some guys use a color chart. This is just my way of doing it - everyone seems to do it a little different.

#10 10 years ago

Oh, I just start a thread about this...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-peeling

How about a 1 mm thin polycarbonate layer to the back?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

I have used triple thick on gottlieb back glass that had a lot of lose paint and did not lose any more paint .Tape off display area with low adhesion painters and put down several very light coats of triple thick

Quoted from jodini:

I would spray it (over spray lightly so it doesn't blow off the paint) and then when it drys then come back on with packing tape. The only thing I don't like about packing tape is you can see the bubbles in the clear windows. Seems like you have to go back and cut them out with a straight edge and razor.

pintime & jodini,

I assume you did this but did you just put very light pressure on the nozzle to get the lighter spray? Also, what was the distance your TT nozzle was from the glass when you applied 3 light coats? I was about 12" away.

Thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-sealing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.