(Topic ID: 173882)

backglass resto: anybody heard from steve?

By illawarra92

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Arcane
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170326_203638 (resized).jpg
    20170326_203505 (resized).jpg
    20170324_081849_resized (resized).jpg
    20150922_171331_zpsn4fwuyq9 (resized).jpg
    16177697_1581471171879682_8646569012033310762_o_zpsnl4zdaat (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCF3174 (resized).JPG
    miget glass2back (resized).png
    new midget glass (resized).png
    original midgetglass (resized).png
    IMG_6955[1] (resized).JPG
    MyGlass (resized).JPG
    IMG_0650 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0645 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0644 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0651 (resized).JPG
    There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i know from experience that backglasses have different colors depending on who printed them for certain games. Many had different companies making the same glass, much like they did for playfields. I can tell you first hand that there are at least 6 color variations for twilight zones. Depending when they were printed, and who printed them. Same with creature. So B/W must have had several companies making fields for them at that time. Same holds true for backglasses. Even with games like Robot. I've seen 3 different color schemes for the original backglasses. It happens, and none of them are wrong.

Forget different manufacturers. We're talking screen printing during the 70s. The chances of even the same manufacturer pouring the same color over a run are minimal. I have had nos Bobby Orr's with completely different skin colors and different blues. Even a small run, such as Embryon, has huge differences. To expect perfect matches is ridiculous. And remember, chances are you original bg has faded, uv damages colors so you're matching an incorrect color anyway.

#102 7 years ago

I have one I'd love to have restored, but it's really rare and I'm afraid to part with it should something happen.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

minor flaw, got all anal over a color issue
    colors should be more perfect
    You be the judge: I'd like the grass to look a brighter green/more realistic was my biggest concern - that would be a good place to start by correcting..........

Hoov, if you or any of your friends would like to sell one of those four glasses with the slightly off color, I'd be interested in purchasing one for my machine. I was going to touch up the paint but I'd prefer a new glass depending on the price. P.M. me if you're interested in selling (and shipping) one.

#104 7 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Hoov, if you or any of your friends would like to sell one of those four glasses with the slightly off color, I'd be interested in purchasing one for my machine. I was going to touch up the paint but I'd prefer a new glass depending on the price. P.M. me if you're interested in selling (and shipping) one.

All I want is actual shipping to send it. Pay anything you want after that to Steve - maybe as a donation for making glasses for us hobbyists. All I wanted was a glass from Steve with green grass and I now have it.

Send me a pm if you're interested.

1 week later
    #105 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have one I'd love to have restored, but it's really rare and I'm afraid to part with it should something happen.

Same. I'd rather have my glass scanned locally and sent Steve the digital file than send the glass itself Is this possible?

Bruce

#106 7 years ago

I think for licensing purposes he needs the original glass. Then he removes the ink and re screens them. This way it's considered repair/refurbishing an original glass, not reproducing it as in printing on a new piece of glass. Sounds dumb, but this technicality is what makes all this possible!

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I think for licensing purposes he needs the original glass. Then he removes the ink and re screens them. This way it's considered repair/refurbishing an original glass, not reproducing it as in printing on a new piece of glass. Sounds dumb, but this technicality is what makes all this possible!

If that is true then hands off my original glass buster! I'd consider it if the glass was a total loss but most of the ink is still there and I'm considering scanning it/printing waterslide decals for the bad areas.

Bruce

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

think for licensing purposes he needs the original glass. Then he removes the ink and re screens them. This way it's considered repair/refurbishing an original glass, not reproducing it as in printing on a new piece of glass. Sounds dumb, but this technicality is what makes all this possible

not true. if he has the art he doesn't need your glass. if he doesn't have the art he will need your glass to scan to clean it up
    he will send your old glass back if you want.

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I think for licensing purposes he needs the original glass.

I think this may have been the case at one time, but is no longer necessary. Seems like he has the licencing figured out.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Same. I'd rather have my glass scanned locally and sent Steve the digital file than send the glass itself Is this possible?
    Bruce

Hey Guys,
    I tried to do this for my Williams SKYWAY and ARMY NAVY.
    I have a pretty decent scanner and created good quality scans of front and back and Steve was still unable to use them.

In terms of rarity, I would guess there are somewhere between 3-5 surviving SKYWAY left on the planet, so my glass was right up there on the unobtainium scale. Luckily I had friends that were traveling to Expo last October and passing through Michigan so they hand delivered my glasses to Steve.

#111 7 years ago

it's hard to scan glass. the thickness of the glass does a reflection/refraction, and it's just hard to get it to work. Digital pictures work but only if the camera is dead nuts square with the glass. Also the curve of the lense messes up the relative position of the score windows. Steve's scanner takes about 20 minutes to do a glass (front and back). It's a process like i've never seen before. But it works well. Note there are some digital houses that have proper high quality scanners. But if you take your glass there it's like $100 per side (front and back) to have them do a scan. At least that's been my experience.

#112 7 years ago

School me as to why the back needs to be scanned. My daughter works at a high end art dealer with scanner access and digital printing capabilities.

#113 7 years ago

Areas that are translucent and areas that are opaque need to be outlined from the back

#114 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Areas that are translucent and areas that are opaque need to be outlined from the back

That makes sense. Thanks.

#115 7 years ago

also on games with score windows, the relative position of the windows to everything else can't be replicated with a picture. it really has to be a scan. otherwise the windows end up in the wrong positions. if off even by 1/4", it doesn't work.

#116 7 years ago

On an EM, you want matching font styles for the Game Over, Tilt, Same Player Shoots Again wording as well as the Match numbers. There are no standard fonts..... only way is to scan the back side as the glass thickness, even on thin Gottlieb glass, alters the letter/number size if you back light the glass and attempt to capture those Characters from the front.

#117 7 years ago

The worst thing one can do is tell a customer something will be ready in two hours. For in two hours time, the customer will be calling and if the product is not ready, the customer gets jacked and ugly. Better to tell customer that "whatever" will be ready in four or five hours. Then when you have it ready in two hours and the customer calls after three hours and is told it is ready, you are golden.

Sounds like the biggest problem is too-tight lead time dates. Instead of giving two month leads times for turn-around, maybe he should be giving six month lead times. And then if he can deliver "early" all will be happy.

But you can't keep everybody happy. Say it will take six months and some people will drag you thru the phone line wanting a shorter lead time. Engineers were the worst in thinking products just fall from the sky.

#118 7 years ago

The key to being happy using Bgresto is simple: If you need it in a hurry, Steve's not your guy. If you really don't care how long it takes him, and you want a quality, hand-made product, Steve's your guy.

He's a busy guy. He travels a lot for work. This is not his full time job. It's a hobby for him, and a talent he shares with others who want to pay for it. He really doesn't need to do it, but thank God we've got him helping us to make old machines look new again.

I send him back glass requests, paid in full, tell him that I'm in no rush, and I always get my glass within a calendar year. Suits me fine, and beats the shit out of having to continue looking at a flaking back glass on a restored machine.

#119 7 years ago

Try [email protected] he just did a backglass for my 1960 Williams "Darts." and did a beautiful job. He may take a couple days to get back to you, but it is worth the wait.

#120 7 years ago

Shay is good for the runs that they do.
    If they do not have it then it becomes a crap shoot.
    Upper Deck is listed on their site but sadly it has been out of stock since last September.

#121 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The key to being happy using Bgresto is simple: If you need it in a hurry, Steve's not your guy. If you really don't care how long it takes him, and you want a quality, hand-made product, Steve's your guy.
    He's a busy guy. He travels a lot for work. This is not his full time job. It's a hobby for him, and a talent he shares with others who want to pay for it. He really doesn't need to do it, but thank God we've got him helping us to make old machines look new again.
    I send him back glass requests, paid in full, tell him that I'm in no rush, and I always get my glass within a calendar year. Suits me fine, and beats the shit out of having to continue looking at a flaking back glass on a restored machine.

Couldn't have said it better

#122 7 years ago

I second that ( or is it third?)

#123 7 years ago

okay, seeing i started this (and once again will state in no way was i bagging steve or his product) the 2 backglasses did arrive safely to australia..once again extremely happy with the product.

have just sent payment off for another 2 backglasses.

so here is a before and after shot of my oklahoma, now have #455's behind the game title.

20150922_171331_zpsn4fwuyq9 (resized).jpg20150922_171331_zpsn4fwuyq9 (resized).jpg
    16177697_1581471171879682_8646569012033310762_o_zpsnl4zdaat (resized).jpg16177697_1581471171879682_8646569012033310762_o_zpsnl4zdaat (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #124 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

The masking layer on the back looks very different, but the effect from the front is pretty much the same.

Is it pretty much the same from the front with the lights on? I've never seen a side by side comparison of original and bgresto glasses lit up.

Bruce

#125 7 years ago

It's a bit washed out looking compared to the original. Some of his results are a lot better than others. I saw a Gottlieb "King Arthur" repro glass that he did and it was outstanding. Saw a Gottlieb "Pin-Up" too that looked pretty good. Others... not so good.

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

It's a bit washed out looking compared to the original. Some of his results are a lot better than others. I saw a Gottlieb "King Arthur" repro glass that he did and it was outstanding. Saw a Gottlieb "Pin-Up" too that looked pretty good. Others... not so good.

Virtually all the ones being produced for the last two+ years are perfect regarding color and lighting.

Remember, when you are dealing with unobtainable glass and bgresto can make something that is 95-100% appearance wise as an original you should be happy bgresto came into being.

As Lee Iacocca says; If you can find a better backglass; buy it.

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

okay, seeing i started this (and once again will state in no way was i bagging steve or his product) the 2 backglasses did arrive safely to australia..once again extremely happy with the product.
    have just sent payment off for another 2 backglasses.
    so here is a before and after shot of my oklahoma, now have #455's behind the game title.

Looks great! Oklahoma looks like a fun game. I hope to play one some day soon.

#128 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Remember, when you are dealing with unobtainable glass and bgresto can make something that is 95-100% appearance wise as an original you should be happy bgresto came into being.

For sure. He provides a great service and thus has saved many games from being trashed or parted.

#129 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Virtually all the ones being produced for the last two+ years are perfect regarding color and lighting.
    As Lee Iacocca says; If you can find a better backglass; buy it.

I may end up using him for Charlies Angels, if I put the money into restoring mine someday. Those Sys 1 glasses nearly always flake to heck.

#130 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

This is good to know. I'm more concerned about how it looks when lit up than the colors when it's not lit

I'll email him with questions about the glass I want done. It's the one in my avatar.

Bruce

#131 7 years ago

isnt avatar a translight?

#132 7 years ago

Just wanted to post an comment on BGresto, I had 3 glass's on order, was not in a hurry, and after 4 month's or so I dropped him a email just checking on Status, 2 days later Steve calls me and said my order was done, texted me a Fedex tracking # and 2 days later my glass arrived packed beautifully, no expense spared there. I can't say enough of his service and quality, You just can't be in a hurry,Period. I have ordered several times from him and he always comes thru with a great product. what a asset to our community

20170324_081849_resized (resized).jpg20170324_081849_resized (resized).jpg

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's pretty much how it is. I've ordered several glasses from Steve, most he had, a couple he did not. I shipped him the glasses and if you follow his packing method (or use a box a glass was shipped in previously) the glass will make it fine. He's told me that the main issue is the edge of the glass taking any kind of impact, and if you've broken playfield glasses (I've now broken three) you know that is the case.

If there's a problem, he'll fix it. It might take time, but he'll fix it. And it will be worth it. The glasses are beautiful. Are they like the original ink screened? No, but you can get just about any glass which is not the case with the guys doing ink screening, who are also providing a great service, and they will be very durable. You're set for a backglass for as long as you own the game, as long as you don't break it. It will not degrade, flake, peel, whatever.

The consideration given to Steve since this is NOT his full time job should be extended to others who are making stuff to keep games going (see the Wade Krause/Sky Jump thread).

1 week later
    #134 7 years ago

Got my glasses from BGresto about a week ago.
    They took a few months but that's to be expected.

I especially appreciate that Steve was willing to take on such rare titles as my Williams SKYWAY and ARMY NAVY (which he will likely never sell another copy of) and didn't rake me over the coals on pricing at all.

These machines would never stand a chance of returning to their former glory otherwise.

20170326_203638 (resized).jpg20170326_203638 (resized).jpg

20170326_203505 (resized).jpg20170326_203505 (resized).jpg

#135 7 years ago

Superb work. Incredible.

Yves

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-resto-anybody-heard-from-steve/page/3?hl=davebuckholts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.