(Topic ID: 173882)

backglass resto: anybody heard from steve?

By illawarra92

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Arcane
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170326_203638 (resized).jpg
    20170326_203505 (resized).jpg
    20170324_081849_resized (resized).jpg
    20150922_171331_zpsn4fwuyq9 (resized).jpg
    16177697_1581471171879682_8646569012033310762_o_zpsnl4zdaat (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCF3174 (resized).JPG
    miget glass2back (resized).png
    new midget glass (resized).png
    original midgetglass (resized).png
    IMG_6955[1] (resized).JPG
    MyGlass (resized).JPG
    IMG_0650 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0645 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0644 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0651 (resized).JPG
    There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If my customers aren't happy with my work after the second try they are refunded their money and fired.

I've fired a few customers in my day. And a few bosses too....

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

but there was some minor flaw (a wrong color i think?) which you didn't like. You received your order. just you got all anal over a color issue.

Quoted from shazzam:

Hey, Steve here from BGresto....
    If you have been waiting a long time to get a restoration shipped, (or 4 replacements on my dime hoov beacuse you think there colors should be more perfect)

minor flaw, got all anal over a color issue
    colors should be more perfect

You be the judge: I'd like the grass to look a brighter green/more realistic was my biggest concern - that would be a good place to start by correcting..........

IMG_0252 (resized).JPGIMG_0252 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0257 (resized).JPGIMG_0257 (resized).JPG

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

as per title: ordered and payed for 2 backglasses, 1 in march and 1 in july..have sent several emails over the past few months and nothing.
    kind of getting a bit pissed off.

illawarra92 - didn't mean to hijack your thread

#55 7 years ago

Kind of reminds me of the few samples of q-bert I did. People didn't like the purple, yellow, or orange. Don't think much changed in the printers tweaking for the second one donated to TPF in 2015. The artist John Trudeau thought it looked good, & signed it. After that I usually give up, & just allow the printer to print the art supplied. Almost reminds me of the constant bitching you hear from a few people about it doesn't look original. Or the best is the producers that say this is a better version, or far superior. I don't pay attention anymore, about it has to be screened, or next gen this for printing.

Glad that usually 9 out of 10 people are very happy to have a replacement glass. Just like you figure 5%+ of your shipments will be damaged or destroyed by UPS. They always have a excuse not to pay anything. I warn people not to release their package back for inspection. Since it will go into the dumpster! I'm lucky that my superior packing job & materials (not a engineered box with stamp) have my loss ratio around 3% with UPS. If UPS hears the glass has broken in the box, or a hint of serious damage. They can refuse to delivery, & dispose in the dumpster as a safety precaution without even opening the box. Had a playfield crushed at the corner, that look like forklift wheel ran over it. UPS denied the claim, & the owner & myself wasted many hours.

#56 7 years ago

I took a leap of faith and ordered four glasses from Steve before I had even seen one, let alone several. It did seem to take forever but was worth the time. I would have thought the word was out there already on this matter?? Well, if not... it is 'now'. Seems like I knew ahead of time that I was going to have to... 'hurry up and wait'. But I wanted to put it out there that the glasses look amazing. They don't have that phony baloney 'plastic' look to them and the colors are vibrant and amazing. I also wanted to say that negative press (not all) like this on a public forum can sometimes have unfavorable consequences for the rest of us. Let's not cut off our nose to spite our face.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

You be the judge: I'd like the grass to look a brighter green/more realistic was my biggest concern - that would be a good place to start by correcting..........

I think it looks fine. Only reason you can tell is because they are side by side. You throw that in the game and put the old one away, like you are going to do anyway, and nobody would know the difference. Color saturation when backlit is more important than dead nuts spot on color matching. If the colors are close, nobody is going to know the difference unless another one is sitting right next to it.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

You're the customer so if you're not happy with it I'd refund your money. But there is no way I would redo that, it looks great.

#59 7 years ago

Reproduction vs no production....

Repro wins 100% of the time

#60 7 years ago

All,

I was one of the people in Hoov's BG group. for the record there was not three people contacting Steve. We cared about Steve's time and having a clarity of message. Nothing wrong in Hoov's posts that can be challenged by people in the know. Apart from my early forwarding of color swatch references we only worked through Hoov. It was Steve's idea to replace the glass as the art approval stage was missed not ours.

Further for the record I sent Steve the Pantone color references from a real glass and Steve told us that the manufacturer could not reference them with his software. I believe that is the crux of the issue why the wheels fell off. Its in Steve's eyes we trust. And he gets it right most of the time. I have two glasses from Steve and they will do. Will I order from Steve again and not ask for a refund absolutely.

Steve is busy, this is a communication issue really, Steve says again that he will work on it so lets close this thread down as the message is delivered and accepted. Nothing more to see.

Have a great Thanksgiving Steve with your family. You too Clay & Mrbally.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Mic Drop..!!!..............Joey

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

I agree with you hoov. Unless of course the protector over the front alters the coloring, I think your complaint is valid. It is definitely not TERRIBLE and something you could "deal with", but that sounds kinda depressing and definitely not the kind of emotion you want to have after such an expensive purchase - this is a hobby after all.

The skin colors and dirt were also lightened it seems (and frankly look better in that case however), so I guess it depends if you want originality or what looks "best". I do not think the new green fits either of these, though.

Perhaps it's being anal but that's a lot of money to pay. I find that sometimes the value of the dollar is lost in this hobby with people dropping thousands on machines (which is fine, but I'm saying it makes $100 sound like a whole lot less than it did before).

#63 7 years ago

Looking back at it again that color is more than just a little off, it's muted as hell.

As a graphic designer myself, this is like the main color of the glass, I am surprised it was so easy to get that far off. Looks like those players are playing in a drought.

Take a look (original on the left of course):

Screenshot_22 (resized).pngScreenshot_22 (resized).png

#64 7 years ago

It does not matter if something is your main business or a hobby on the side, if you take it on it is up to you to be professional

I have seen many threads in Pinside where the main problem is a lack of communication . People don't mind waiting but when two months becomes six months, and then a year, you cannot blame customers for being frustrated

#65 7 years ago

Here is some of the purchase orders I have with Marco Specialties slowly being filled over months. I bundle my glass in lots of 3, & roll the dice with UPS. Cardboard corner protectors likely help out! There is going to be differences in color & methods of production. People need to remember pinball parts were never produced to a high & exact standard. Same thing goes for actual games made now or back when flippers were installed. Glad Rick from Planetary Pinball finally figured that out years ago, or there would be less parts available now. I remember when I started buying pins 20 years ago, junk a bunch to make or keep better ones going. I'm sure I sent 60+ pins to the dump or into a fire. A couple of Bally Spectrums, Asteroid Annie, & other rarer pins had their life ended.

IMG_0651 (resized).JPGIMG_0651 (resized).JPG

IMG_0644 (resized).JPGIMG_0644 (resized).JPG

IMG_0645 (resized).JPGIMG_0645 (resized).JPG

IMG_0650 (resized).JPGIMG_0650 (resized).JPG

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Here is some of the purchase orders I have with Marco Specialties slowly being filled over months. I bundle my glass in lots of 3, & roll the dice with UPS. Cardboard corner protectors likely help out! There is going to be differences in color & methods of production. People need to remember pinball parts were never produced to a high & exact standard. Same thing goes for actual games made now or back when flippers were installed. Glad Rick from Planetary Pinball finally figured that out years ago, or there would be less parts available now. I remember when I started buying pins 20 years ago, junk a bunch to make or keep better ones going. I'm sure I sent 60+ pins to the dump or into a fire. A couple of Bally Spectrums, Asteroid Annie, & other rarer pins had their life ended.

Not to derail this one too much, but the problem with PPS is they approve some people who are making crap, yet they get sideways with guys who were making top quality stuff because of nothing more than pure greed.

We all want parts, but none of us wants junk, especially considering some of the prices for said junk.

Is there a particular reason you use UPS? Personally, I'd never ship a glass with them. Ham handed is the only way to describe them. FedEx is a much better bet for getting glasses shipped.

#67 7 years ago

Interesting discussion.

Seems with all repro glasses, some are perfect and others not so good with color matching.

I have some Shay glasses that are a perfect match and a few others that colors are off a fair bit but they are 100% better than no original glass or a crummy original!

Hope everyone is happy with how things pan out going forward

#68 7 years ago

Steve did a glass for me. About 2 months into the wait he called me, there had been a mistake that he spotted before shipment and he wanted to fix it, remake it, and send out the good one but it would take another month, I said no problem. About 6 weeks later it arrived and I could not have been more pleased. I would use bgresto again.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Looking back at it again that color is more than just a little off, it's muted as hell.
    As a graphic designer myself, this is like the main color of the glass, I am surprised it was so easy to get that far off. Looks like those players are playing in a drought.
    Take a look (original on the left of course):

this is not a fair comparison, because I can tell that most of that is flash glare. If you look, it's darker green in the right corner more than the left. there is no way you can get an accurate color assessment from that picture .

#71 7 years ago

i know from experience that backglasses have different colors depending on who printed them for certain games. Many had different companies making the same glass, much like they did for playfields. I can tell you first hand that there are at least 6 color variations for twilight zones. Depending when they were printed, and who printed them. Same with creature. So B/W must have had several companies making fields for them at that time. Same holds true for backglasses. Even with games like Robot. I've seen 3 different color schemes for the original backglasses. It happens, and none of them are wrong.

#72 7 years ago

I guess I fall into the camp of "happy to have an option". I ordered 3 glasses from Steve last year and went through some of the same delays some of you guys mentioned. These were glasses he'd already done before so I assumed they would be quicker. My only real complaint was the lack of response and the false completion dates. Happy to hear Steve is going to try and remedy that.

In the end I turned around and sent him two more right after that first order. Some extremely rare glasses that need restoration (Williams SKYWAY and ARMY-NAVY) and he will likely never have another customer for. I'm very appreciative to Steve for taking these projects on and not gouging me big dollars for the extra work or limited demand of the glasses. I would've expected to pay a LOT more for something that required drawing from scratch and recreation of missing art, but that was not the case.

Personally I just feel bad calling him up on his personal phone. As long I can get the occasional email or text with a status update I'm happy to wait.

#73 7 years ago

Colour matching is a thankless task and also an impossible one.

EVERY SINGLE BATCH of plastic parts we run is ever so slightly different to the last - same goes with screen printing. And this is using modern inks and printing proceses.

People need to step back, take a deep breath and realise this is NORMAL!

Back in the day, different runs of playfields very often had different (slightly) colours - same goes for plastics.

It's just the way it is and anyone who complains about a "slightly different shade of purple" (etc etc) is FAR too anal IMO.

We should all be thankful that there are people like Steve who are prepared to do this work AT ALL and he still has to put up with anal customers whinging that the "shade isn't exactly right" - Pfftt, get a life you guys! (the ones that complain about this - not all).

Flame away, you can always count on plenty of thumbs down here on Pinside when the truth hurts.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

All you have to do is visit his website to see that he is doing them on glass, but they are not screened glasses like Shay or Ron Webb do.

Thanks. I asked because I remember he was doing them on plexi. Has this changed and are his screened glasses better than before or do you still need to use LED lights for them to look right?

Bruce

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Thanks. I asked because I remember he was doing them on plexi. Has this changed and are his screened glasses better than before or do you still need to use LED lights for them to look right?
    Bruce

They're not screened. He uses some sort of digital printing technique.
    The masking layer on the back looks very different, but the effect from the front is pretty much the same.
    I saw a lot of Steve's work on Clay's machines at the VFW show and was very impressed.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

They're not screened. He uses some sort of digital printing technique.
    The masking layer on the back looks very different, but the effect from the front is pretty much the same.
    I saw a lot of Steve's work on Clay's machines at the VFW show and was very impressed.

I'll check his website out then. Thanks.

Bruce

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

(and that's why Gottlieb export games were done on plexi, less risk in game shipping over seas.)

Ahh! That makes total sense. I've got a Gottlieb Swing Along with a plexi backglass, and I never understood why. It's got Franc coin acceptors, so I'm guessing it was a reimport.

#78 7 years ago

Steve never made anything on plexiglass. Never. Even in the beginning it was always doing it on glass. Part of his process uses a vacuum oven and plastic would melt.

1 week later
    #79 7 years ago

Sometimes I'm glad I'm colorblind.

#80 7 years ago

If it weren't for Steve my CC Super Hockey game would be stuck with this backglass.....MyGlass (resized).JPGMyGlass (resized).JPG Instead Steve was able to make a repro for me that turned out like this..... IMG_6955[1] (resized).JPGIMG_6955[1] (resized).JPG

#81 7 years ago

actually someone really took some time on that hockey BG.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

actually someone really took some time on that hockey BG.

Agree, but man it's still ugly!!

#83 7 years ago

It's actually quite good for what it is! Wow.

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Ahh! That makes total sense. I've got a Gottlieb Swing Along with a plexi backglass, and I never understood why. It's got Franc coin acceptors, so I'm guessing it was a reimport.

Certainly a blessing and not a curse!

1 week later
    #85 7 years ago

Just today I received my Triple Strike backglass from Steve. It took about two months and looks very nice. It goes well with the total restoration including cab and head repaint. Packaging was excellent. Thanks again Steve, you do top notch work.

#86 7 years ago

I'm still waiting. Ordered and paid Sept 1st and was told 6-8 weeks for 2 backglasses. Nothing so far

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

Just today I received my Triple Strike backglass from Steve. It took about two months and looks very nice. It goes well with the total restoration including cab and head repaint. Packaging was excellent. Thanks again Steve, you do top notch work.

half your luck..still waiting from march (and june)

1 month later
    #88 7 years ago

Just received my glass yesterday from Steve!

#89 7 years ago

Had Steve make a new backglass for my Chicago Cubs Triple Play. It took a little longer than the original estimate but, the final product was very nice. Colors are great and looks like the original one in the game (of course, minus the flaws). I happy and think it was worth the wait. I would not hesitate to work with Steve again.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It takes a few seconds to respond to an e-mail. Payment received, I'm working on it. I've been busy is no excuse for an eight month wait with no communication.
    If you're too busy for that send a refund and a note that you're too busy to accept new orders right now.

Amen
    Let's keep it simple. If you accept the work process it in a timely fashion and communicate to your customer. Otherwise don't accept the work. I tried to get in touch with this business several weeks ago and just gave up. Guess I am impatient. Seems like there is enough business to do this full time. Shay is also bavkloghed big time andnonly does this as a part time thing

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Just received my glass yesterday from Steve!

I should be receiving mine any day now too. Here's the before and after art work of mine he done, I just got in an email couple days ago. I'm excited to see what it looks like in the machine.

original midgetglass (resized).pngoriginal midgetglass (resized).png

new midget glass (resized).pngnew midget glass (resized).png

miget glass2back (resized).pngmiget glass2back (resized).png

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from bronco-jon:

I should be receiving mine any day now too. Here's the before and after art work of mine he done, I just got in an email couple days ago. I'm excited to see what it looks like in the machine.

Talk about nothing to lose. He could hand draw a replacement and you would be better off. Congrats on the grand improvement.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Talk about nothing to lose. He could hand draw a replacement and you would be better off. Congrats on the grand improvement.

Well, That's exactly what he's there for.....wonder what you'll look like when your 70 years old

#94 7 years ago

That really was a back handed compliment on my end - not what I had intended. Sorry.

Steves work is exceptional and you should be proud to have his work on your machine.

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from PapaJohn:

I restored a Triple Strike and he didn't have the glass at that time so I sent him mine. It came out fantastic, didn't it?

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

yea but the originals were silk screened on plexi.

I've had the chance to see some BGResto backglasses in person. Excellent product for the price you are paying. If you really want original looking expect the price to be astronomical unless hundreds are being made and sold. I can speak from experience with the ball arch reproductions I'm doing. One of the highest costs associated in that project is the silk screening since each color needs it own seperate screen and film positive ($$) plus mixing the custom inks ($$) and then the cost to setup and register each color over each other ($$), licensing rights, etc... It's not that it can't be done since I'm proof it can in pinball, but it's more a matter of economics and time. Trust me neither myself or BGResto are making much money doing this otherwise there would be a lot of other places doing this.

#97 7 years ago

To me, the color looks off, but not nearly as much as the color swatches someone posted shortly after! If I see a glass, or plastics and I think they look kind of off, I'm just glad it's a hell of a lot better than a blown out crappy one. Also if you put it in the game, after a couple days to weeks, you get used to it, and it looks perfectly fine! Just don't be too picky, most of the repros are spot on, but sometimes it's hard to get it perfect! I'm just glad there are people out there willing to put in the work to help us out. It's not for the money, no one's getting rich from this, it's for the love of the game! Now get out there and win one for the Flipper!

Tom

2 weeks later
    #98 7 years ago

I felt like a little kid on Christmas day opening my new back glass I found sitting on my front porch this afternoon....Thanks Steven, it looks great and was worth the wait. I would do it again in a heart beat.

DSCF3174 (resized).JPGDSCF3174 (resized).JPG

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

I restored a Triple Strike and he didn't have the glass at that time so I sent him mine. It came out fantastic, didn't it?

Yes it did. Thanks to you dealing with him first I received mine in about two months. Triple Strike is a very challenging game especially on ball five. John

#100 7 years ago

Steve made a repro for me and it should be 2 months to do
    Turned out 8 months cause the man is a perfectionist and I a appreciate that.

The work is fantastic , the wait is not.
    Patience is a virtue !!

Thanks again Steve for doing such amazing job!! Ones I bill up some patience again will send you my next one

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-resto-anybody-heard-from-steve/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.