(Topic ID: 173882)

backglass resto: anybody heard from steve?

By illawarra92

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Arcane
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 25 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170326_203638 (resized).jpg
    20170326_203505 (resized).jpg
    20170324_081849_resized (resized).jpg
    20150922_171331_zpsn4fwuyq9 (resized).jpg
    16177697_1581471171879682_8646569012033310762_o_zpsnl4zdaat (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSCF3174 (resized).JPG
    miget glass2back (resized).png
    new midget glass (resized).png
    original midgetglass (resized).png
    IMG_6955[1] (resized).JPG
    MyGlass (resized).JPG
    IMG_0650 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0645 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0644 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0651 (resized).JPG

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

as per title: ordered and payed for 2 backglasses, 1 in march and 1 in july..have sent several emails over the past few months and nothing.

kind of getting a bit pissed off.

#2 2 years ago

I ordered a Grand Lizard proto version in July. They were a little slow in responding to emails, about 3-4 days but it shipped with tracking and is now installed. Arrived mid October. Hope that helps you.

#3 2 years ago

Also mention that the work and packaging was very good.

#4 2 years ago

Wow, July sounds slow let alone March... :O I would definitely try calling or getting somebody over here to call for you if he has a public number. Are you sure you have the right e-mail address?

#6 2 years ago

yes, i have ordered off him before..so using the right email address..but yeah it's testing my patience..happy to call from australia if somebody could pm steve's number

#7 2 years ago

I always figure 3 month's minimum, and have ordered glass from him at least 3 times, always came through, he's not great at answering emails, but I have always received my glass, great packing job too, and have always been happy with the quality

#8 2 years ago

I got an Atlantis sample backglass from him a couple of weeks ago. Took about 8 weeks total, about double what he quoted me. Worth the wait. Keep after him with email, he will respond. He might have some personal things going on, but no excuse if he has your money. March is way too long.

#9 2 years ago

both glasses ordered (oklahoma and sheriff) the games are sitting here fully restored without backglasses which makes it harder.

thanks for the imput guys, let's hope this shakes him up.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

as per title: ordered and payed for 2 backglasses, 1 in march and 1 in july..have sent several emails over the past few months and nothing.
    kind of getting a bit pissed off.

I ordered and paid in may, arrived in september. A bit slow but always A+++ work. Emails are hit and miss.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

yes, i have ordered off him before..so using the right email address..but yeah it's testing my patience..happy to call from australia if somebody could pm steve's number

pm sent

#12 2 years ago

He is slammed with work but always delivers a perfect product. What you may not know is is that he does this as a side buisness and he travels a lot with his primary job. I'm not making up excuses for him just trying to give out a reason. I have ordered many a backglass from him, at times they came within 2-3 months others up to 6 months. I agree that an order ( paid in full I assume ) last March is to long to wait.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

.....kind of getting a bit pissed off.

You are not the only one. There are definite issues behind the scenes. A reproduction BG from art on file seems to be a straightforward transaction. if there is an issue with the glass you receive now the service falls apart. The promises of new glasses in the mail are just that.

#14 2 years ago

I just received three backglass restorations last Friday. They all look beautiful.
    Patience is needed with these guys but they come through.

20161119_083745 (resized).jpg

#15 2 years ago

Include me in the "kind of getting a bit pissed off" category and thank you for posting this thread illawarra92. Hopefully a little nudge here helps get these long wait time product(s) rolling out BG Restos door.

#16 2 years ago

Great things take time, how hard is it to be patient?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

i am not knocking him or the awesome product he makes..i ordered and payed for my oklahoma glass 8 MONTHS ago (sheriff 3 months)..i have also sent several emails over the past 4 to 6 weeks and got nothing back.

was a fair question..had anybody heard from him?

#18 2 years ago

Talked to Steve the other day...he is in the process of moving and stuff right now and is crazy busy. Your $$ are totally safe with him he is just a really busy guy as of late. Hang in there and you will get great results in the end.

#19 2 years ago

I would also state that Steve does not have to do this and really is the only guy out there willing to mess with it for us...please just be patient and he will take care of you. He has had a long year and been pulled in multiple directions as of late and with this being a hobby/ side deal for him, priorities must win out.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I would also state that Steve does not have to do this and really is the only guy out there willing to mess with it for us...please just be patient and he will take care of you. He has had a long year and been pulled in multiple directions as of late and with this being a hobby/ side deal for him, priorities must win out.

It takes a few seconds to respond to an e-mail. Payment received, I'm working on it. I've been busy is no excuse for an eight month wait with no communication.

If you're too busy for that send a refund and a note that you're too busy to accept new orders right now.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

It takes a few seconds to respond to an e-mail. Payment received, I'm working on it. I've been busy is no excuse for an eight month wait with no communication.
    If you're too busy for that send a refund and a note that you're too busy to accept new orders right now.

Did you ask him for a refund? If not, try that as I'm certain he would oblige. He's had some personal stuff come up this year that has taken him in an unanticipated direction and it is affecting backglass restorations as well as communication.
    His family as well as his job are higher priority than restoring backglasses.

#22 2 years ago

The guy he had working with him.....is basically not involved any more so Steve is a one man show.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yeah ive had the same sort of problem too, but not with Bgresto (which have my gratitude for doing the kind of work he does), but with another non-pinball related small company, and i have full understanding that life have a way of doing stuff to peoples shedules, family comes first and whatnot, but no one is so totally swamped with work that he/she cant take 5-10 minutes to email paying customers that he/she dont have the time at the moment to do the work they have paid for.

Even if its just a side/fun hobby you still are responsible for other people's trust and money.

#24 2 years ago

I and two others have been waiting since March of 2015 for 4 backglasses (same game). I can't recall the number of times I have called, e-mailed, and texted Steve. It's always "I'll get them right out to you". His text last week said "have patience". I realize we are lucky to have him making these for us but 20 months and still waiting....................

Do I win the award?

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

since March of 2015

Yeah, that beats my wait of about 10 months BUT
    He worked on a piece that he would likely have never sold another one and did it anyway.
    He did sell a second one though when I broke the first one. Got that one pretty quick!

It is worth the wait.

Just imagine the digital backglass files and other artwork he is amassing . THAT WILL BE WORTH A FORTUNE !!!!

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

That $300 you send him sure gives you the right to be a little annoyed I'm sure

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

I and two others have been waiting since March of 2015 for 4 backglasses (same game). I can't recall the number of times I have called, e-mailed, and texted Steve. It's always "I'll get them right out to you". His text last week said "have patience". I realize we are lucky to have him making these for us but 20 months and still waiting....................
    Do I win the award?

no you don't win the award. and you didn't tell the entire story either.
    your glasses were delivered, if i'm thinking this is the same case... but there was some minor flaw (a wrong color i think?) which you didn't like. and steve told you he would re-make them (all 4 glasses were the same game, again if i remember correctly.) So really, your situation is not the same. You received your order. just you got all anal over a color issue.
    it's situations like yours that makes steve wonder, "why do i do this for people?"

#28 2 years ago

Disappointed in you Clay, this topic is expressing some frustration that's all, not a slam on Steve. It's fair and accurate.

Your response is not accurate regarding Hoov's post. However, you want to protect your friend so I get it. Best to let this lie please and we will sort it out with Steve eventually. We have waited this long and do appreciate what he does for the hobby.

#29 2 years ago

I had a color issue with a Grand Prix glass Steve made for me.

Like normal in this world, how you approach things determines, in most cases, the reaction you get. I called him, I told him the glass is really, really beautiful looking, but that the color on the very top of the glass was off (it's blue, it came out more purple). He wants to get things right. He said he would fix it, and while it took him awhile, he did. In addition, he said, don't worry about the first repro glass, just keep it and frame it or whatever you want to do with it.

I'm not at all suggesting that anyone is right or wrong here. I'm not suggesting that someone has maybe approached him about this wrongly. I just take the attitude that he's about the only guy out there who is willing to do these glasses that we'll never get from Ron Webb or Shay because they aren't going to do one off glasses, and/or they aren't willing to deal with PPS, so I just hold on and wait. I've bought several glasses from Steve and sure, they've taken time, but in the end every one of them has been worth it.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

no you don't win the award. and you didn't tell the entire story either.
    your glasses were delivered, if i'm thinking this is the same case... but there was some minor flaw (a wrong color i think?) which you didn't like. and steve told you he would re-make them (all 4 glasses were the same game, again if i remember correctly.) So really, your situation is not the same. You received your order. just you got all anal over a color issue.
    it's situations like yours that makes steve wonder, "why do i do this for people?"

Clay, we were told we would be able to approve the artwork before the glasses were made. But instead of being given the option to approve the color choices and then have him tweak the colors, he just made them the way he wanted and mailed them out.

Got anal? Don't think so.

And yes, we do appreciate what he does for the hobby.

#31 2 years ago

I too have sent him a glass to have repro'ed over two months ago but I'm not trippin over it. I have never had a problem getting ahold of him on phone or a reply back from email. The back glass I sent him is missing some art work he needs to make it right and he is unable to proceed with it until he or I can come up with a good picture of the back side of the glass he is working on for me. Like he explained to me, it's not a problem for him putting art work on it for me, it's weather I want it right or not....I'm pretty sure it's more of him wanting it right rather than me. until him or I can come up with a good picture of an original, I think I can wait.
    .....By the way, Does anyone have a nice back glass from a 1946 Bally Midget racer? and willing to send Steve or I a good pic of the back side of it?

#32 2 years ago

AH, I see who you are now CFH.....and you probably have what I am looking for too....or knows who does

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I would also state that Steve does not have to do this and really is the only guy out there willing to mess with it for us...

Quoted from cfh:

Wait a second. Does Steve do this for charity? If so I can understand the statements above but if he is making a profit off of this , whether it is part time or not, those statements are BS. I agree with others that have said if a little communication is used it would go a long way, but if you have been writing for MONTHS and have had NO reply I can definitely understand their frustration and anyone that says they can't is just being foolish.

#34 2 years ago

You would be surprised how little he makes at this. Especially now with planetary being involved. It's not until the 4th glass of any title being made that it becomes profitable. Why do you think more people aren't doing this service???

#35 2 years ago

If anyone thinks you can make a profit repro-ing a few glasses for several hundred dollars I suggest you start the business yourself and see just how much work is involved.

Anyway - this thread isn't about the cost or even the quality of the work which by EVERY account is second to none and certainly world best!!!

Communication is obviously the ONLY problem here and maybe that's something Steve will take on board????

#36 2 years ago

It is a shame that there isn't another reasonably priced alternative...even print on plexi would be good enough for me. Some of the originals printed on plexiglass look great.

#37 2 years ago

yea but the originals were silk screened on plexi. the cost to do it on glass versus plexi is really no different. In fact, i think plexi is more expensive than tempered glass. and obviously it scratches. the only advantage to plexi is in shipping. (and that's why Gottlieb export games were done on plexi, less risk in game shipping over seas.)

#38 2 years ago

Is Steve doing them on glass the same as Shay/Webb are doing? I thought he was doing them on plexi which is why I hadn't ordered a glass from him.

Bruce

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Is Steve doing them on glass the same as Shay/Webb are doing? I thought he was doing them on plexi which is why I hadn't ordered a glass from him.
    Bruce

All you have to do is visit his website to see that he is doing them on glass, but they are not screened glasses like Shay or Ron Webb do. He can't do them that way because without a decent sized run, it's cost prohibitive. Steve exists to cover glasses for games which are not the so called "A list" games, games that will likely never be made otherwise.

It's a huge service to the hobby, it saves games that otherwise might be parted out. And as noted, he's not doing this for a living, and he he has a real job to do.

The ONLY possible improvement Steve could do is communications, but he's a busy guy and things have to be prioritized. I'm grateful for what he does.

#40 2 years ago

How do you guys feel about the glasses themselves? I've seen some in person and wasn't too happy with the color results, compared next to an original. It wasn't the original glass being faded either, if I recall correctly the new color was lighter.

For some I guess it's "close enough". I'm sure a lot of them are pretty spot on though.

#41 2 years ago

Warning - long post.

I agree communication is a big problem with Steve and we all know this is a sideline job - not his day job. We're lucky to have people like him in the hobby.

But, I'm also going to say there are some of us who's jobs were put off because the artwork was time consuming and he didn't want to keep that customer at the top of his schedule. Others were put ahead and that's hard to stomach when you've waited so long.

For the people that got their backglass within 3 months that's great. Others up to six months - slow but the wait was worth it. We all realize this is a side job and not his main income.

But, what about three of us waiting 20 months with Steve not explaining why the wait was so long and promising us five times our backglasses would be sent out that week and never were? I don't even know if they are done because I can't believe what he says anymore.

Ok, you be the judge here (this is the first time any of us has used Steve) I'm not bashing Steve here - just stating my story.

We ask Steve if he can do 4 backglasses for three of us for a Williams pitch and bat game. Steve says he needs the artwork to do them. We provide the artwork. Steve mails us the finished artwork and the three of us agreed on changes we would like made. Steve says he will make the changes and get back to us to approve. This is where the problem started. We were shocked to receive our backglasses in the mail one day. We never had a chance to approve the changes. So, we contacted Steve and told him the changes we would like to see. He stated it's easier to send the glasses out for us to see. He said the time is all in the artwork. Printing on the glass is easy. At that point I thought if I sent Steve my backglass with good colors (had some flaking) he could use that as an example to compare to for the artwork. I ate the shipping costs and gave up my glass which I didn't mind. So then, we get an e-mail saying the glasses are done and he was missing one of the three addresses on where to send. Again, we're shocked that this is twice now we didn't have the chance to approve his finished product. So, I gave him the 3rd address on where to ship and he said that he would get them out by the weekend. That was last Memorial Day - It's been 5 times now that we were promised we would receive our four glasses and we're still waiting - we first contacted him in March of 2015. We pre-paid for our glasses and we don't want a refund (never offered one) - we just want a backglass that's close to the original.

If Steve is having problems as of late I hope he can recover and get back on track with some of his stalled jobs and make amends to some of us that have waited way too long.

#42 2 years ago

I have ordered close to 20 different glasses from BGResto. I had issues with 2 (one was color - one was missing a level of dithering). Both of those were corrected and replaced quickly.

Quality of Steve's work is A+. In terms of how do these glasses look once installed - there is less "passthrough of light" (let's say that his method is more opaque), but this is resolved with LEDs if you're thinking the final presentation is too dim.

The bonding process he uses has far more stability than silk screening and the backside is not fragile at all when installing/removing - also a plus.

Over the years, my orders have taken any where from 3-9 months to fill. Is that ideal? No. Do I sometimes have to reach out proactively to get an update? Yes, about every 8 weeks. However, Steve always gets back to me. Is having a beautiful replacement glass in my machine worth the wait and follow up? Absolutely.

Gang, the man has a "real" job which requires extensive travel. He has a family. He has his own collection. He has a LIFE. He produces a product no one else is willing to (take that Grand Lizard prototype as just one example). he produces it WELL and at a very fair price point. He is upfront about the fact that your glass will take several months to produce. Other than regular proactive updates there is not much else he could improve upon.

Steve always comes through. Give him a break, have some patience, play some pinball, better yet, shop your deck, rebuild all the mechs, clean it top to bottom while you wait. Then, when that package from BGResto finally gets to you, your machine will look and play better than ever.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

How do you guys feel about the glasses themselves? I've seen some in person and wasn't too happy with the color results, compared next to an original. It wasn't the original glass being faded either, if I recall correctly the new color was lighter.
    For some I guess it's "close enough". I'm sure a lot of them are pretty spot on though.

He's improved his process over time and the color saturation is excellent. The end product is a very high quality glass and the ones I've seen are stunning (and I'm pretty picky). The trade off is that the translucency is a bit less which is why warm white LEDS are recommended to compensate and add some brightness. I use frosted but some use a combo of frosted and super bright flats in select spots.

Steve is an engineer and has very high attention to detail in his work. We spent many revs defining color on a Top Card glass only to find that my pic was showing mint green instead of sky blue because the pic was taken at night with a flash that had yellow hues. We laughed it off and finalized from there - very good guy who I greatly respect for the contribution he's making and which all of us can benefit from. He is often traveling constantly and has to review emails in batches due to the sheer volume and limited time. The way to navigate the process is to go in knowing it's going to be awhile and ping him every few months. In the end, you will get a beautiful glass.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

Steve says he will make the changes and get back to us to approve.

Hoov, your frustration is understood.

However, taking a job which required 3 persons' approval was an order that should have been declined at the outset. Is there anyone else in the business that affords customers the luxury of "approving" the artwork before production? Can you imagine if CPR was constrained to that? We'd NEVER see any product.

You probably should request a refund. In all fairness, you SHOULD have received your order eons ago. It should have been a suitable replacement - I don't know if perfection is a realistic expectation, especially given the pricepoint. How "close" does it need to be to your original to meet your standard? (Keep in mind there can be significant variations across originals)

Is the replacement you received really THAT bad?

Hope you can work it out...

#45 2 years ago

I concur on the quality. I like the process because, as noted, it won't scratch or fade or anything else. I take the trade out on brightness as part of the cost of using those glasses. I don't care for the look of LEDs in EM games, even behind the backglasses, so I just use 44s back there, because you don't have to worry about heat, even if you leave the game on for long periods.

I have found that it's generally a shorter wait if you buy a glass he already has the artwork for. But in my case it seems I usually have a game he doesn't have, so the process is ship him the glass and wait. I usually ship the glass out before I even start the restoration of the game. As I can't work on them a lot, it takes me months to do a restoration so I'm not usually waiting for the glass anyway. One time I bought a glass from him he already had and it was under two months.

Again, he's not like Ron Webb or Shay who have glasses already made and waiting. He makes these glasses to order and between that and his other obligations, it takes time.

Dave, I'd say that your wait is far beyond what would be reasonable, it's really out of the ordinary for Steve and it's too bad it's happened to you. I've always found him eager to please, possibly in some cases too eager and it leads him to make promises in reality he just can't keep. I would concur that at this point getting a refund and using whatever glass you have now might be best for all.

#46 2 years ago

I took on a glass job. That I strongly didn't want to do because it was already done. Person wasn't happy with the final results. Cost me hundreds of dollars & wasted time. Refunded the persons money in full, & they still complained on Pinside about it.

I do what I can to supply glass, & custom orders. Don't care how many people are doing the same title. Try to do the best for my tiny market. That being said hats of to all the big producers, & the small demand ones around the world.

Color variations, glass or plastic that gets a fine scratch, & mistakes by anyone or any machine in the process. Adds to more costs & delays. Last week I rejected a tempered glass order because the LOGO was stamped to the corner of every one. They checked & verified that it was their mistake. That delay is another month + for customers to wait. Add in the cost of cardboard box(s), tape, printing labels, packaging, & dealing with email is also huge for time. It even takes weeks locally to get our custom cardboard done, but they do a good job!

IMG_0639 (resized).JPG

IMG_0640 (resized).JPG

IMG_0641 (resized).JPG

IMG_0642 (resized).JPG

IMG_0643 (resized).JPG

#47 2 years ago

Hey, Steve here from BGresto....

If you have an issue with me call or text me at: 248-760-7381

To the topic of this post, I will ask: What world do I live in?

I think I live in the world were people interact and communicate in real time, its called the 21st century, where you can't assume "email is the gold standard of communitcations"... where you use your smart phone to do smart things like communicate to people you need status from, that you have issues with, that you want something from, etc.

That being said: If you have been waiting a long time to get a restoration shipped, (or 4 replacements on my dime hoov beacuse you think there colors should be more perfect), I truely am sorry for that... I am working off the backlog (beyond quoted turn around) of completed restorations that have not shipped (about 30 glasses)... If you are one of those ordered, Please be patient, your restoration is complete and will be shipped very soon... Every ordered restoration glass SHIPS! ALWAYS! and everyone will get a high quality result.

I do not subscribe to this forum so it's not the place either to contact me...

If you have an issue with me call or text me at: 248-760-7381

Steve
    BGRESTO.COM

PS. I will also work to be more responsive to email going forward...

#48 2 years ago

Mic Drop..!!!..............Joey

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from shazzam:

Hey, Steve here from BGresto....

No further questions, your Honor.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from shazzam:

...4 replacements on my dime hoov beacuse you think there colors should be more perfect), I truely am sorry for that...

If my customers aren't happy with my work after the second try they are refunded their money and fired. Props to you Steve, that's a no win situation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 139.00
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 15.00
    $ 10.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 26.95
    There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside