By MrWizzo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973
#1 11 years ago

I am looking for a backglass for an OXO, and I got an email from Gary at Backglass reprints. From what I could find, people have been happy with his products.

Has anyone bought from him? What at the things one needs to understand and ask when buying a repro bg?

Dan

#2 11 years ago

I have had a couple of Gary's glasses (essentially a translite). I was happy with the two I bought. Colors may not be a perfect match in some cases, but once in your machine it won't be overly noticeable. For the money I would much prefer a silkscreened glass given the option but it is a great resource for those games you know won't get reproduced.
Alex

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Gary at Backglass reprints.

I have heard nothing but praise about his work but have not bought one yet.

Quoted from AlexF:

For the money I would much prefer a silkscreened glass given the option but it is a great resource for those games you know won't get reproduced.

There is a chance some odd ball titles may be inked in the near future as Shay Group is talking to other vendors and getting these basically sub contracted so I think you will see an overall better availability in the near future.

Ken

#4 11 years ago

I hope so Ken.

It would be a help to the community if the confirmation process of reproductions was not so bottle necked by those holding licensing and property rights.

Also, would like to see less expensive alternatives to low demand glasses that have zero chance of reproduction.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

It would be a help to the community if the confirmation process of reproductions was not so bottle necked by those holding licensing and property rights.

Licensing and property will always be an issue but will not be bottle necked in the future. I predict that maybe 10 years or less from now you will be able to order ANY TITLE Inked Backglass you need, on demand with even only one printed at a time due to technology advances in the reproduction technique and have a wait time between 2-4 weeks to be made.

Quoted from Garrett:

Also, would like to see less expensive alternatives to low demand glasses that have zero chance of reproduction.

In the future because of the technology as stated above and possibly manufactured outside of the U.S.A. prices will drop even for Quality made glasses.

Ken

9 months later
#6 10 years ago

How about this project?
Did You bought it?

#7 10 years ago

I have several of Gary's glasses. Frankly i won't buy another from him. I don't like the "translight" thing he does. And he absolutely screws you on shipping. A far better alternative is http://bgresto.com/?p=478 which is not only a better product, but the pricing is far better too.

7 years later
#8 2 years ago

Gary from BackglassReprints continues to spam Craigslist with his fake overpriced back glasses reprints, now most pinball ads are his backglass reprint ads.

He even stopped mentioning the term Backglass in the title so that filter wont work anymore:
seattle.craigslist.org link

Why do I say fake? "They are not on glass. He scans the glass, then redraws all the artwork. Then prints on a film, also prints a mask for the non lit areas, then puts them between two pieces of glass and uses silicon to seal it all up."

#9 2 years ago

I have ordered reprints from Gary in the past. Gold Rush, See Saw, Big Daddy and Little Joe. They are far better than what I started with. But of the four, Gold Rush was the disappointment.

I have ordered 2 backglasses from BGResto...Heatwave and Time Zone. Obviously, BG is superior. BUT, I have been waiting 5 months for Time Zone.

With so little options for backglasses, I am glad that I was able to get what I needed from Gary. Are they perfect? No. But better than staring at deteriorated glasses.

#10 2 years ago

Gary make me one for my Williams Kings and it looks nice. To my knowledge, this glass has not been reproduced. I tried to go the BGresto route, but it didn't pan out. BGresto seems to be a better route for glasses previously restored.

#11 2 years ago

I've used Gary in the past and they were fine. I had some alignment issues with one (Lucky Hand) and some missing detail on one (Klondike). There's no way I could wait for months and months for a BGResto without communication as seems to happen frequently.

BGResto and Gary are certainly better than nothing. They both have some issues which would be easier to accept with if they were considerably cheaper than a silkscreened glass. I'd much prefer a Shay or Ron Webb true silkscreen for $50 more given the option.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I've used Gary in the past and they were fine. I had some alignment issues with one (Lucky Hand) and some missing detail on one (Klondike). There's no way I could wait for months and months for a BGResto without communication as seems to happen frequently.
BGResto and Gary are certainly better than nothing. They both have some issues which would be easier to accept with if they were considerably cheaper than a silkscreened glass. I'd much prefer a Shay or Ron Webb true silkscreen for $50 more given the option.

Another alternative is these guys

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

Printed as a decal, mask included then (you) apply it to a piece of glass locally. About 2-3 week turnaround and better quality then bgresto.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Another alternative is these guys
https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html
Printed as a decal, mask included then (you) apply it to a piece of glass locally. About 2-3 week turnaround and better quality then bgresto.

I've been curious about them? Seems like I read the quality is good. Wondering how hard it is to apply the decal without fudging it up? And the cost?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I've been curious about them? Seems like I read the quality is good. Wondering how hard it is to apply the decal without fudging it up? And the cost?

waterslide technique, slightly soapy water allows you to reposition, then squeegee. Cheaper then bgresto, about 200 euro per print, then 40 or 50 for the glass

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I've made several glasses from their products and can attest to their being of good quality. As said pinhead52 you need to use the water-slide technique though all I'd add, from experience, is that another pair of hands make the process easier for alignment, etc.

Also, as the 'glass' is rolled up inside a tube for postage, take it out and leave it open, curled-side down and weigh each corner down and leave for a few hours so it loses its will to roll itself up again. You'll also need a scalpel or Kraft knife to trim it and I leave enough to go over the edge of the glass and seal the entire edges with adhesive clear tape, just like BGresto do and that reduces the chance of it lifting away from the glass.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

I've made several glasses from their products and can attest to their being of good quality. As said pinhead52 you need to use the water-slide technique though all I'd add, from experience, is that another pair of hands make the process easier for alignment, etc.
Also, as the 'glass' is rolled up inside a tube for postage, take it out and leave it open, curled-side down and weigh each corner down and leave for a few hours so it loses its will to roll itself up again. You'll also need a scalpel or Kraft knife to trim it and I leave enough to go over the edge of the glass and seal the entire edges with adhesive clear tape, just like BGresto do and that reduces the chance of it lifting away from the glass.

Ive never had to use adhesive tape to seal edges, quite the contrary you cant lift this off after it dries.

#17 2 years ago

I did it purely as a precaution, I'd hate to see it somehow lift at and edge later on and not be able to fix it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

$ 12.00
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-reprints and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.