(Topic ID: 190474)

Backglass question

By billbinflorida

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 6 years ago

Years ago I was reading a pinball book. In one of the pictured backglasses were birds singing "in the tree where we live."

So now with ipdb I am trying to look up that picture and can't find it. Any ideas? I am guessing it was from the fifties.

It was kinda funny and it is nagging me why I can figure out the name of the game. I think the theme was a city street or something with people standing around.

Anyway, I asked this question on a Vic Camp youtube video and he suggested you guys.

Thanks for reading.

#2 6 years ago

Everything about this doesn't match, except the part about a bird saying something:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=730&picno=31952&zoom=1

#3 6 years ago

Gtb. Mayfair. Upper right.

http://www.ipdb.org/images/1562/image-31.jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 6 years ago

Wow...that was quick and such small print in the top right corner to located and view. Great find Dennis!

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Gottleib. Mayfair. Upper right.

Some guys on Pinside sure know their pinball. Kudos!

#6 6 years ago

DENNIS YOU are amazing, I am ashamed to say how much time i spent, more than a few hours going thru ipdb pictures, you know, when you see something in a book from decades ago, my recollection was --hazy but I couldn't shake the curiosity-- that the words had a yellow background and were either in the middle or one the bottom, no, there WAS yellow nearby but not in the words.

And Vic, you were right about the people in this group, they obviously know this stuff up and down, and I hope to get on good terms with them as I am in the process of making my own pinball machine with old parts and what i hope will be a new wedgehead cabinet, and an aruduino chip to do the switching.

That has been interesting in its own right. for example with an aruduino, you only need the nines position switch and a coil wires and you can control everything thru software. For things to shoot at I have done the software for a varitarget and that was interesting. I have found out, that as the target moves at 'our' speeds, the computer is so fast that it is reading all the contacts as fast as i can push the target. With em control, it would move, lock in and the score motor and relay would determine the score, with a computer it reads everything on the way up. So you make changes to software etc. i was a programmer in my former life but i never knew anything much about electronics, well this makes it easy to learn about that too. I never knew what a capacitor did, but apparently it just is there to soak up back flowing voltage to prevent damage to other things. Gotta keep things going on in life.

#7 6 years ago

Oh and froboz, that was my first guess too. I got to interview Steve Kordek in 1995 for a cable access tv show i did on pinball at that time, what a great guy, his enthusiasm was as infectious as anybody i have ever met. I guess that's how you live to be a hundred and one.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Wow...that was quick and such small print in the top right corner to located and view. Great find Dennis!

Had to be from Roy Parker who loved to put little puns in his art. That narrows it down to being a Gottlieb game. "On the tree where we live..." is a take on the song "On The Street Where You Live" from the musical My Fair Lady. Bingo! Mayfair.

#9 6 years ago

Here's a nice close-up shot of the area on a Hyde Park game. The Add-A-Ball version of Mayfair. This photo is from the Italian version of the game.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/5678/image-4.jpg

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#10 6 years ago

own a mayfair (great game) and have never noticed that.

#11 6 years ago

Roy Parker must have been an interesting person! Thanks for the song connection. I never saw the play or movie.

#12 6 years ago

In what's supposed to be W.C Fields top hat is another great American Standard song titled "Get Me to the Church on Time"

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

In what's supposed to be W.C Fields top hat is another great American Standard song titled "Get Me to the Church on Time"

Yes. And the guy asking the lady "Dance-all night?" is a reference to another song from My Fair Lady, 'I Could Have Danced All Night'.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from billbinflorida:

Roy Parker must have been an interesting person! Thanks for the song connection. I never saw the play or movie.

Here's a link to more info. on Roy Parker.
    https://uncouthreflections.com/2012/08/29/the-art-of-pinball-roy-parker/

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from billbinflorida:

And a link to the IPDB list of over 290 games Roy drew the art for.
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ppl=roy+parker&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.