(Topic ID: 174931)

Backglass paint peeling, LOCA glue/Edge gluing

By HypnoRaygun

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I have been doing some research into alternative methods of fixing my backglass. I'm not opposed to the Triple Thick method, but I am curious if there are other methods.

In areas outside of pinball I know of two other methods, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts about these methods/products.?

The first one, is LOCA glue, aka Liquid optically clear adhesive. This is used primarily in Cell phones to secure the glass to the LCD. It dries clear and holds well. It is cured with UV light. There are several different formulations, one drying like an all encompassing mass (pain to remove) and the other dries more like a gummy glue, which can usually be peeled and scrapped off fairly easily if issues arise. There are example videos on youtube about it. The videos are mainly focused on cell phone repair.

I have not seen any mention of using LOCA glue on a backglass online.

I have not tried it yet on the back glass, and was looking for opinions. I have the LOCA Osaka 7, the more gel like formulation.

Another direction I've been looking at is Edge gluing which is something that is used in stained glass repair and fine art restorations. If you search "stained glass edge gluing" several articles come up talking about different adhesives used. Essentially the product is applied on the edges and dries clear. Stained Glass and Backglasses are quite similar in function (art work with light passing through) so this procedure seems like an interesting direction.

I'm still gathering information and am trying to figure out how to test my theories. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Below are some advantages of LOCA glue as listed on a wikipedia page:

LOCA has many advantages compared to traditional non-liquid film type adhesives (OCA Tape). Specifically, it:

Is suitable for application on uneven surfaces
    Can be repaired and adjusted once cured
    Can be used in large panels
    Is completely size-independent, while OCA tape must be pre die-cut
    Has high adhesion
    Ideal for filling gaps because it is a liquid
    Does not suffer condensation and fogging
    Resists extreme temperatures
    Requires less surface preparation
    Is contaminant-free, resulting in improved bubble resistance in laminations exposed to high temperature and humidity
    Can be applied by automated process
    Accommodates thinner and lighter display designs
    Facilitates faster development of new products and design

#2 7 years ago

I have used triple thick on all of my projects. When I rehabbed a Bally lost a world I had to glue down a large flake of paint and I used super glue and that worked well. Seems somewhat similar to what you are suggesting. I was able to place thebhkue down, position the flake and then hold in place for a couple min. Whammo. Nice result. Than triple tricked and all was good

#3 7 years ago

Will be interested to see the results.

#4 7 years ago

I've been using superglue for loose or lifting pieces, then triple thick to seal.

LOCA sounds interesting, though.

However, the more liquid like that the glue is, the better, so it can seep between any gaps between the glass and paint.

Lifting paint is really only noticeable when there is air between the glass and paint.

#5 7 years ago

Inject clear epoxy if you are sure the paint will remain perfectly flat in small areas. Ensure to hold down for 60 seconds for a strong bond. Use a roller, but don't overinject, use caution to avoid paint sticking to the roller. Use brush on clear acrylic for edges with a foam brush, spray afterwards with Krlyon TTCCG ensuring smooth layer. Use only Krylon. Edges can be sealed with mylar, but remember you only have ONE shot. Mylar patches in the center of backglasses can be problematic if air bubbles remain.

#6 7 years ago

In Canada I use to buy contact cement in a tube that was rated for glass. I would use it to adhere ink pieces to glass & to bridge repairs (cracks).

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies.. I'm leaning for some type of LOCA application. I would like to test it somehow.. Anyone have some ideas how to recreate peeling backglass for a test?

#8 7 years ago

Find an awful backglass beyond saving and practice on it?

Plenty appear at shows.

#9 7 years ago

True.. Thank you ForceFlow.. I'm a bit uneducated regarding a show or event, but I will keep my eyes peeled. Thank you.

#10 7 years ago

You could also try a WTB ad in the marketplace. I'm sure several collectors have a stash of backglasses, and there might be one or two just beyond saving.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

You could also try a WTB ad in the marketplace. I'm sure several collectors have a stash of backglasses, and there might be one or two just beyond saving.

Great idea! Thanks!

#12 7 years ago

DISCLAIMER: Do not use triple thick or attempt to seal in a backglass that does not have problems. Should only be attempted with glasses where you have flaking going on and only treat the flaking area. Triple thick suffers from extreme temp changes and will ruin your backglass if left in extreme heat or cold. So should ONLY be used when absolutely necessary. Do not use it as "preventive maintenance", as you just put your glass at risk for no reason.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

DISCLAIMER: Do not use triple thick or attempt to seal in a backglass that does not have problems. Should only be attempted with glasses where you have flaking going on and only treat the flaking area. Triple thick suffers from extreme temp changes and will ruin your backglass if left in extreme heat or cold. So should ONLY be used when absolutely necessary. Do not use it as "preventive maintenance", as you just put your glass at risk for no reason.

Thank you for the info. That's partially why I'm looking at other methods. My particular backglass has some eggshell pieces that have separated but are still attached. Then a few areas that are bubbled a bit but still attached.. I'm still investigating before I shoot something on it.. Thank you!

#15 7 years ago

Yes ty for the info. I'll keep it in mind.

#16 7 years ago

i did a little research about your backglass issue and here is what i found. I hope it helps!

http://vkrepair.com/loca-glue/

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from vkr234:

i did a little research about your backglass issue and here is what i found. I hope it helps!
    http://vkrepair.com/loca-glue/

Thanks for that link. I think it sounds very promising. I just need to figure out how to keep the paint chip flat while this is curing. I know people have used plastic wrap with triple thick. I need to do some tests. Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-paint-peeling-loca-glueedge-gluing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.