Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by Skidave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D2D3A051-501C-4467-959E-F987706A1C4B (resized).jpeg

#1 52 days ago

I viewed another post about this and could not comment on that thread. But I have tried hanging the glass upside down by the lift channel without success and have pulled on the glass pretty hard to try and pull it out. The lift channel has rusted and I cannot get a razor between the glass and the channel. Are there any liquids I can spray on the front side or other methods I can consider to remove the lift channel? The glass is from Bally Eight Ball. Thanks!

#2 52 days ago

penetrating oil ? warm soap and water ?

#3 52 days ago

Did you release the locks in the backbox? Just asking because your new.

#4 52 days ago

Thanks. I have tried soap and water but will run out and get some penetrating oil.

Mikala, I’m sorry, I should have explained. The backglass is removed from the machine. I am actually trying to remove the lift channel from the glass.

#5 52 days ago

Lots of heat, like that of a hair dryer should loosen up the adhesive.

#6 52 days ago

I would not use any oil. If it is rusty, u will need to tap it off with a block of wood and a hammer. Light taps and move across to keep it coming off evenly.

#7 52 days ago
Quoted from mathrocks:

Thanks. The backglass is removed from the machine. I am actually trying to remove the lift channel from the glass.

Explain why? So it is rusted. Let it sit in an shallow bath of evaporust, go over with 0000 steel wool, polish with mag polish. Done. Why remove? You could/will cause more damage removing.

#8 52 days ago

yes why do you want to remove the channel ? post some pictures ?

#9 52 days ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Explain why? So it is rusted. Let it sit in an shallow bath of evaporust, go over with 0000 steel wool, polish with mag polish. Done. Why remove? You could/will cause more damage removing.

One of the main reasons bottoms of backglasses flake so badly is the Windex effect. Windex is sprayed on the glass, and it runs down and gets inside the lift channel. It then gets wicked up on the back side by the inks and the process begins. Soaking the lift channel in anything is pretty much guaranteed to cause damage to the glass. You can't avoid it. To get the upper part of the channel into the Evaporust will cause the Evaporust to run down between the glass and the channel and you will damage it.

I've removed these in the past that were very rusted. There is no adhesive in the channel, only some tape, and then only pieces of it. To remove the channel, put the glass on carpet face up. Use a rubber mallet and a piece of a 2x4. Place the 2x against the channel, then gently tap. Move it around. It will come free. And you will not damage the glass if you are careful, meaning don't hammer on it and don't make contact with the glass with the mallet.

When these are really rusted, even if you get it off and soak it in Evaporust, it will never look as good as a new lift channel. Those things are a shiny plate and when they are rusted, that goes away and you'll still have pitting, even if you get all the rust off. I've never owned a Bally/Williams game that I did not replace this part. It's right in your face and it will make a decent glass look shabby.

#10 52 days ago

Lay glass face down on a deep counter/workbench or better still, an island in your kitchen with aboot half (the bottom with the lift channel) hanging over the edge of the island/counter.

Slide the glass fast and hard so the lift channel squarely hits the edge of the counter/island. The channel usually pops off after the 2nd or third whack.

No guarantees that you wont peel away some of the silkscreening nor that the glass won't shatter. That said, I've done over a dozen and never cracked a glass.

Yet.

#11 51 days ago

Cool Thread, I never thought about replacing the lift channel. Would have been too nervous about causing more damage to the screening. Maybe after this, I'll give it a try. I assume new channels can be bought from places like PBR?

#12 51 days ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Cool Thread, I never thought about replacing the lift channel. Would have been too nervous about causing more damage to the screening. Maybe after this, I'll give it a try. I assume new channels can be bought from places like PBR?

There's a guy on here who makes them. I buy mine from Action Pinball. Don't think PBR stocks them.

#13 51 days ago

Thanks, I will try these suggestions! I’m taking off the lift channel because I purchased the glass from someone locally to frame as wall art. See the picture attached for the side view.

D2D3A051-501C-4467-959E-F987706A1C4B (resized).jpeg
#14 51 days ago

Typical rusted lift channel. Nothing unusual there.

#15 50 days ago

Thanks everyone! The 2x4 and mallet did the trick! No damage to the glass or artwork this time. Thanks!

#16 48 days ago

Just to add my 2 cents... I replaced two lift trims this past weekend. One was really rusted to the glass and one was not. I used an old post card to work the area between the glass and trim channel. I slid the card edge in carefully and then went back and forth slowly. Once I felt the trim start to loosen in the center (left to right) I just kept working the card back and forth. Eventually, I was able to maneuver the old trim and pull it off.

I was afraid to use heat, liquid or a blade.

I carefully cleaned the edge of the glass with some water on a cloth and then dried it immediately. I let the glass sit to make sure it was 100% dry and then I installed the new lift trim. I hope to never mess with these glasses and trims again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside