• Latest reply 3 years ago by Mcrics
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

north star lights (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I've got a problem which I'm certain is simple but to a novice like me seems impossible. Recently got a fully functional Gottlieb North Star unit and it's played great. I fired it up today and none of the lights behind the backglass light up. The scoring works. The play field lights up fine. But no backglass lights.

I don't have a schematic.... (though I just ordered one based on other advice here.) Though I'm not sure I'd be able to read one anyway. Any help is appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

There is a fuse in the cabinet that lets current get to the backbox (or lite box, as it's called on the schematic). If that fuse is blown, or the fuse-holder is broken, or a wire is disconnected, then you won't get electricity to the lights in the backbox. I'd check that first. Hopefully, that fuse is labeled. If not, it's a 10 amp fuse that has a white wire on one side and a white-black wire on the other.

If that fuse and holder and wiring is good, I'd clean and re-seat the Jones plugs that go up to the backbox.

Good luck!

north star lights (resized).JPGnorth star lights (resized).JPG

#3 3 years ago

Here is a great site I've been going back to for ages, and it has a couple sections on schematics: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

The thing that got me over the hill on reading them was to realize that they are not physical maps, but maps of connections.

#4 3 years ago

Thank you both! Was able to find the blown fuse and make an easy fix. Much appreciated!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-lights-out-gottlieb-north-star?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.