(Topic ID: 180296)

Backglass light shines through pinholes and scratches...can I repair?

By northerndude

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Arcane
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0799 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0798 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0797 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0796 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Hey folks, I have a Flight 2000 i recently picked up with kind of a decent backglass but with quite a few small pinholes and scratches. Has anyone ever done a cloudy coating or spraying the back of it with something over the older brittle paint to cover it enough to get rid of the light holes. I have searched a few forums and haven't quite found a answer yet. The repop of the Flight 2000 backglass is about $500+ for me. Although i'd rather leave it looking decent but older, I don't want to ruin the current one I have.

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

It looks beautiful with no light behind, but the old hot bulbs definitely dried some areas up

IMG_0796 (resized).JPGIMG_0796 (resized).JPG

IMG_0797 (resized).JPGIMG_0797 (resized).JPG

IMG_0798 (resized).JPGIMG_0798 (resized).JPG

IMG_0799 (resized).JPGIMG_0799 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Put colored bulbs in there...

#4 7 years ago

If you to go the "cheap and non-permanent" route have a translite backing made in silver black (reverse artwork outlines) and another in white. Install them behind the actual backglass. The damage with the pinholes and cracking will magically "disappear". The total cost is less than $70.

#5 7 years ago

Even cheaper fix, line back side of glass with white paper, cut out the display holes, and hold in place with the black plastic edging

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

If you to go the "cheap and non-permanent" route have a translite backing made in silver black (reverse artwork outlines) and another in white. Install them behind the actual backglass. The damage with the pinholes and cracking will magically "disappear". The total cost is less than $70.

Another option, rather than just using black and white, would be to scan, fill in defects on the computer, then have a dark translight printed. You could insert it behind the original glass and have "close enough" colors coming through the pinholes inside of the bright white bulbs. I would think this would look better than "blacking out" big areas like the G and H in the title lettering.

Mac

#7 7 years ago

Honestly, I do not think it takes away any of the beauty of that backglass. I would leave it the way it is.
    It is a spectacular scenery and drawing.

Yves

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-light-shines-through-pinholes-and-scratchescan-i-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.