(Topic ID: 235746)

Backglass lamps cross-wired

By newbieinKC

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have two pairs of controlled lamps that say one thing and mean another. I think someone along the way replaced a wiring harness that ended up being backward or at least scrambled. When my EBC wants to light HIGH SCORE it instead lights BALL IN PLAY and vice versa. It also swaps TILT and GAME OVER. I have several options to fix the problem and wonder if anyone might have a suggestion. Swap positions of lamps, swap positions of female molex connectors in a harness, or swap wires and leave lamps where they are. There are other solutions, like hacking a couple of 2x6 molex connectors to fix the problem.

There are two reasons I ask for your opinion. First, the wire codes on the board and the flashers match; the disconnect is in a cable that has molex connectors on each end (one end picks up some wires from another connector, so simple replacement is not easy). Second, the swaps that need to happen are both on complete opposite sides of the backglass. Swapping wires or sockets might not be so easy and then wire codes will be ambiguous for future troubleshooters.

#2 5 years ago

The easiest would be to swap wires in the connector and leave the lamps where they are. Stick labels on the wires noting this for future troubleshooters.

Something along the lines of "harness was replaced and colors do not match manual" would probably cover it.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The easiest would be to swap wires in the connector and leave the lamps where they are. Stick labels on the wires noting this for future troubleshooters.
Something along the lines of "harness was replaced and colors do not match manual" would probably cover it.

I don't have a molex tool. I see some pretty easy hacks but I can't seem to make them work for the female connectors. I will have to buy one.

I doubt that I will even label them when I am done, because the wrong wires don't match the convention inside the machine. I will just be swapping a blue wire on one end so that it makes connection with a brown/orange wire on both sides and restores function (now, the non-conventional blue wire connects to brown/orange on one side and yellow/white on the other). I wish one of the ends was male, I could probably figure out a hack to get them out (the ball point pen seems fairly straight-forward). Alas, both ends are female connectors and I can't get tweezers or staples to work easily enough to do it 4 times.

#4 5 years ago

I decided to splice/heatshrink the wires instead of buying a tool, waiting for it to arrive, and then perhaps not work or break. I just wish that whoever wired this in the first place didn't swap pins 1/4 and 2/6. They put the connectors in housings like one end was male and other female, when they were both female.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-lamps-cross-wired-?hl=newbieinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.