Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fosaisu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Curious if there is anyway to reduce backglass glare? I use DMD glare guards but with dim room lighting the backglass glare on some of my pins is really back on the top of the playfield. Specifically kiss since I think the backglass is brighter than most...ideas?

#2 8 years ago

It's strange no-one has thought up a mod to "turn OFF" or "DIM" the insert panel lights during actual play.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from MarcelG:

It's strange no-one has thought up a mod to "turn OFF" or "DIM" the insert panel lights during actual play.

Was thinking more like a film or something that can either go over the backglass or onto the upper portion of the playfield glass?

#5 8 years ago

Interesting. It doesn't even say what it does???

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from MarcelG:

I've seen one posted on the forums. Someone modded a TWD, if I recall.

[Edit]: not the one I was thinking of, but one option: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gauging-interest-in-a-led-backglass-shut-off-module-for-stern-machines

[Edit 2]: this was the one I was thinking of:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dimming-backglass-for-stern-machines

#7 8 years ago

cheap solution and works like a charm
    www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/DGG-01

#8 8 years ago

A solution for Kiss isn't available yet, but arcadeupkeep.com has an awesome dimmer that will dim the backglass LED panel when you start the game.

#9 8 years ago

Doesn't block much glare from translight mostly just DMD though

#10 8 years ago

I use white Freezer paper . The length is perfect . Cut a strip and place it over the light tube . No fire hazard so far . On my Avengers LE I used blue painters tape . Worked like a charm .

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

I use white Freezer paper . The length is perfect . Cut a strip and place it over the light tube . No fire hazard so far . On my Avengers LE I used blue painters tape . Worked like a charm .

Kiss doesn't have a light tube but I get the drift. Don't really want to dim it too much but I know privacy film would dim it too...

Maybe a film that goes on a portion of the pf glass...

#12 8 years ago

I just made a post asking question.

If I didn't love PDI backbox light kit would buy arcade DIMMING kit. Really like PDI flashers in their kit!

#13 8 years ago

What does kiss have...bulb sockets? If it shipped with LEDs I rarely use all the sockets when using LEDs...way too bright. I go 1/2-2/3 sockets filled, or use smaller LEDs.

#14 8 years ago

KISS has LED built right into the CPU board. What they need is for Stern to dim them in software once a game is started. I have an aftermarket LED panel in my ACDC that does just that and it works great.

http://www.arcadeupkeep.com/ Use the dimming kit here for replacing the tube light in games before KISS...

One big thing is not to put bright LEDs in when replacing normal bulbs. Orbit retro LEDs are actually less bright than a 44 or 555 and help to cut the glare.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

KISS has LED built right into the CPU board.

Oh right cause of the Spike. Thanks!

1 year later
    #16 6 years ago

Bump for this -- has anyone ever tried the Backbox Reflector from pinballsidemirrors? Here's the description from the website:

We are also happy to offer Backbox Reflectors to our customers—these premium quality, non-glare covers ensure that your playing experience is not hampered by distracting glare that can so easily occur. These reflectors replace standard reflective glass and are guaranteed to effectively showcase the rich, vivid, full-color graphics that make your machine come to life. Our reflectors are cut to fit pinball machines.

#17 6 years ago

Those don't do anything for the glare on the playfield glass as far as I can tell. It cuts reflection off of the backglass itself.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-reflectors-goodbad-do-they-even-work#post-1247233

The only way to really cut glare from the backglass/translite on the playfield is to cut down on the amount of light behind the backglass/translite. I got a Dr Dude recently and someone had put SMD LEDs in every position in the backbox. I could not see the entire upper half of the playfield while playing the game! I replaced them with single LED 8mm bulbs from Comet and left out about 40% of the bulbs. The backglass still looks good, but now I can see the whole playfield just fine.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks, I missed that thread in my search!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-glare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.