(Topic ID: 231001)

Backglass EXPLODED without any contact with anything?

By too-many-pins

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

121_4604 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

I knew it was just a matter of time before I lost a backglass but after moving hundreds of machines I never expected to have one just explode in my hands while I was holding it.

Today I was getting ready to move a Champion Pub machine from our basement to our garage so a potential buyer could come see it (and buy it if they decided they wanted it). I carefully pulled the light box & glass out of the machine as was holding it with my thumb on the front of the glass and my fingers behind the plastic light box. As I was getting ready to set the assembly on the floor the backglass just exploded. Thankfully I was only about 6" off the floor so it didn't make a huge mess and I didn't break the plastic lightbox but it was a crazy feeling holding a lightbox with a backglass in it then seconds later just holding some broken glass and the plastic lightbox.

I don't know if I just lost a potential sale but I do know the machine just got cheaper at my expense.

Anyone else have a backglass just explode on them like this? I am thinking it didn't like the heat from my thumb - I don't know what else might have caused this?

#2 5 years ago

there may have been an existing flaw that was just waiting on the moons of Saturn to align

#3 5 years ago

That sucks, but at least it wasn't some irreplaceable painted backglass.

#4 5 years ago

Sometimes the tempering is not consistent and stresses wait to explode

When I closed down my route and threw out tons of glass in the dumpster, probably 20% of it was not tempered or partially tempered.

#5 5 years ago

Piss off the wife last night? Might have been a warning shot!

#6 5 years ago

Years ago I had a MM playfield glass explode while I was holding it (unfortunately most of the glass went in the machine).

Most recently, I was setting a Demo Man translite glass down when it exploded. It had the plastic edges and everything on it, and I don't think I hit anything, but it made a mess on the floor. Luckily it was about $15 for a new glass. But yeah, it sucks when this happens. At least it wasn't an actual backglass. Stuff like this usually always happens 5 minutes before a sale or party.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

That sucks, but at least it wasn't some irreplaceable painted backglass.

It actually was a painted backglass but thankfully there is a translite available. What kind of upsets me is I had a potential buyer for a "quick sale" and we were hoping to get a few machines gone quickly. Now I'll likely have to order a piece of glass & translite before I can get the machine sold and gone & I really need the space right now not a month from now when the snow is blowing.

Can't change things but timing couldn't be worse on this. Such is life!

#8 5 years ago

Could be temperature between hands and glass. Sorry it happened for you.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

It actually was a painted backglass but thankfully there is a translite available. What kind of upsets me is I had a potential buyer for a "quick sale" and we were hoping to get a few machines gone quickly. Now I'll likely have to order a piece of glass & translite before I can get the machine sold and gone & I really need the space right now not a month from now when the snow is blowing.

Just tell mister quick sale what happened and see if he wants game for $100 less or whatever the translite and glass costs.

Try to do it in 3 sentences or less!

#10 5 years ago

I knew it was just a matter of time so breaking the glass doesn't piss me off as much as the timing since I thought I would have one more machine sold and gone this weekend or early next week. I guess I just need to figure "everything happens for a reason" and not let it worry me but it still sucks!

Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Could be temperature between hands and glass. Sorry it happened for you.

That was exactly my first thought. With my thumb warming a small area and a little pressure on that area it might have been just enough if glass already had a weak spot or bad temper. Thankfully it wasn't a playfield glass that got all throughout the machine and I just had a pile of glass to clean up! But a playfield glass would be cheaper to replace!

Had to add a picture just to make post complete!

121_4604 (resized).JPG121_4604 (resized).JPG
    #11 5 years ago

Could be a blessing, imagine how pissed the buyer would of been if taking it home it and happened, you'd get nothing but bad mouthing.

#12 5 years ago

had a piece of glass break in 2 pieces once while sliding it out of my machine, never even shattered

#13 5 years ago

For me its about one every 3 years. Thankfully not at a clients house yet.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

had a piece of glass break in 2 pieces once while sliding it out of my machine, never even shattered

That was probably plate glass, rather than tempered. Someone probably replaced it at some point, especially if it was glass for a translite.

#15 5 years ago

It actually was a painted backglass but thankfully there is a translite available.

Interesting. I didn't realize that any WPC era game came with a real backglass.

#16 5 years ago

NGG is a printed backglass also

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That was probably plate glass, rather than tempered. Someone probably replaced it at some point, especially if it was glass for a translite.

It was tempered glass for sure just because of the way it crumbled and the fact it kept popping like 10 minutes after it actually exploded. Kind of an odd tempered glass compared to what I have had explode in the past because it broke into bigger pieces at first then kept crumbling smaller & smaller as a swept it up. Typically tempered breaks into smaller pieces when it explodes.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Interesting. I didn't realize that any WPC era game came with a real backglass.

No good gophers also, I believe.

#19 5 years ago

Static electricity can do this.

#20 5 years ago

It was tempered glass for sure just because of the way it crumbled and the fact it kept popping like 10 minutes after it actually exploded. Kind of an odd tempered glass compared to what I have had explode in the past because it broke into bigger pieces at first then kept crumbling smaller & smaller as a swept it up. Typically tempered breaks into smaller pieces when it explodes.

Yes, your glass was tempered--I was responding to ccbiggsoo7 about the glass that broke into two pieces.

#21 5 years ago

I have been very careful handling 100s of pieces of playfield glass and backglasses and always thought when someone breaks one it had to be at least some carelessness on their part.

However when I carefully picked up a piece of playfield glass I had in the garage that was leaning against the wall sitting on a piece of cardboard about a month ago and it just exploded in my hands I learned otherwise. It was tempered and not damaged around the edges, but an older piece.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have been very careful handling 100s of pieces of playfield glass and backglasses and always thought when someone breaks one it had to be at least some carelessness on their part.
    However when I carefully picked up a piece of playfield glass I had in the garage that was leaning against the wall sitting on a piece of cardboard about a month ago and it just exploded in my hands I learned otherwise. It was tempered and not damaged around the edges, but an older piece.

It is kind of surprising when it happens but it does happen from time to time. This is the 4th or 5th time I have had a piece of tempered glass explode on me but it is the very first time it has even happened without any contact on anything. I am just glad it was fairly close to the ground so I didn't damage the lightbox.

Shit Happens!

#23 5 years ago

Shit happens is right! I'm lucky mine wasn't in a game.

So the thought quickly crosses my mind- do I now replace all older playfield glass with new? I already got rid of all the plate glass pieces.

Then I sweep up the mess, and get on with business as usual.

#24 5 years ago

I had a playfield glass go the same way. Exploded with such force I had cuts on my forehead. Just holding it, not touching anything

#25 5 years ago

I just purchased 3 Playfield glass panels from a long time small glass company where I know the owner. He said tempered is weaker on the edges than plate. And for my home use pins thinks plate is better. While sharp when it breaks, not that dangerous over a pf, or when sliding in n out. Unless you make a habit of sitting on your pins. And won’t drop thousands of glass pieces into the game. So bought the plate and will see how it goes.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

While sharp when it breaks, not that dangerous over a pf, or when sliding in n out.

um. thanks but no.
    I prefer my glass to NOT scratch the PF when it shatters... much less my hands when I'm cleaning up... or when I'm working on the machine 4 years later and there's a thin shard hiding somewhere and I slice something open.

Just no. No. NO.

#27 5 years ago

Always buy tempered glass. There is enough plate glass ones out there.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

I just purchased 3 Playfield glass panels from a long time small glass company where I know the owner. He said tempered is weaker on the edges than plate. And for my home use pins thinks plate is better. While sharp when it breaks, not that dangerous over a pf, or when sliding in n out. Unless you make a habit of sitting on your pins. And won’t drop thousands of glass pieces into the game. So bought the plate and will see how it goes.

He's an idiot. tempered is more fragile on the edges. but the edges are fully covered. The field is much stronger on tempered and that is often hit with airballs. Plus have you ever tried to pop an old piece of tempered glass to get rid of it? its actually not as easy as people make it out to be. Plate on a pin is just stupid.

#29 5 years ago

How can my 12 year old fridge have tempered glass that never shatters? All 3 shelves are tempered glass and the kids are not gentle when throwing stuff in there. Hot food on a cold shelf, the temps don't bother it.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

How can my 12 year old fridge have tempered glass that never shatters? All 3 shelves are tempered glass and the kids are not gentle when throwing stuff in there. Hot food on a cold shelf, the temps don't bother it.

Tempered glass is great stuff until it decides to fail but when it fails it can make a real mess. I don't think I would use anything but tempered glass in a pinball machine but I know plenty of them have plate glass in them including most earlier backglasses. I don't know what year they changed backglasses over to tempered glass but if you think about how many EM's you see with cracked backglasses you will realize plate glass was very common on them - plate glass cracks - tempered glass will never crack it explodes.

#31 5 years ago

Even some of the early electronic pins had plate backglass. Bobby Orr Power Play I have seen 2 with cracked glass. Where tempered glass should have been used. I guess if you run out, use plate until you get stock again.

#32 5 years ago

Think this only happens to people with too many pins

I keep expecting this some day and just pray it's not an impossible to find one when it happens.

#33 5 years ago

I knew it was just a matter of time before I lost a backglass but after moving hundreds of machines I never expected to have one just explode in my hands while I was holding it.
    Today I was getting ready to move a Champion Pub machine from our basement to our garage so a potential buyer could come see it (and buy it if they decided they wanted it). I carefully pulled the light box & glass out of the machine as was holding it with my thumb on the front of the glass and my fingers behind the plastic light box. As I was getting ready to set the assembly on the floor the backglass just exploded. Thankfully I was only about 6" off the floor so it didn't make a huge mess and I didn't break the plastic lightbox but it was a crazy feeling holding a lightbox with a backglass in it then seconds later just holding some broken glass and the plastic lightbox.
    I don't know if I just lost a potential sale but I do know the machine just got cheaper at my expense.
    Anyone else have a backglass just explode on them like this? I am thinking it didn't like the heat from my thumb - I don't know what else might have caused this?

Likely was the temperature differential with your hands and the glass/room. I had this happen with a playfield glass. Touching nothing except my hands mid-air and just exploded. You're not in the pinball club unless it's happened to you at least once. I will say that I became a LOT more respectful of tempered glass after that happened.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

You can hit tempered playfield glass with a hammer and it won't break - I've done it when trying to dispose of old glass. It's the edges that generally cause problems. I don't know how tempered glass has improved (has it?) but maybe newer tempered glass is better than 1970-2000 tempered glass?

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You can hit tempered playfield glass with a hammer and it won't break - I've done it when trying to dispose of old glass. It's the edges that generally cause problems. I don't know how tempered glass has improved (has it?) but maybe newer tempered glass is better than 1970-2000 tempered glass?

Yea, the shelves get so loaded with stuff in the fridge that they sag a little but they never break. The kids are not careful throwing glass jars of food and other things on the shelves, they are also all scratched terribly from 12 years of use. They seem nearly indestructible to me. Maybe those older pinball backglasses are just not as good as the new stuff.

#36 5 years ago

All I can say is "SHIT HAPPENS" I just wish it would happen to me a little less often. But it is what it is. I know I'll have a hard time buying another backglass for this machine over a translite because the backglass is so thin. I hate the design on these machines with that lightbox anyway but that is something we can not change. So to me the best answer will be a piece of plexiglass & a translite but I hate plexiglass so I'll likely just go with clear tempered glass and a translite and call it a day.

#37 5 years ago

That was exactly my first thought. With my thumb warming a small area and a little pressure on that area it might have been just enough if glass already had a weak spot or bad temper. Thankfully it wasn't a playfield glass that got all throughout the machine and I just had a pile of glass to clean up! But a playfield glass would be cheaper to replace!
    Had to add a picture just to make post complete!

Damn Man, That looks like a W/B Back Glass! Oh man that sucks! The W/B back glasses had a white backing. Man what a bummer. A very rare commodity for Champion Pub. Sorry that happened to ya man.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Damn Man, That looks like a W/B Back Glass! Oh man that sucks! The W/B back glasses had a white backing. Man what a bummer. A very rare commodity for Champion Pub. Sorry that happened to ya man.

It has a fair amount of flaking and would have needed to be replaced at some point anyway but I really didn't want to have to replace it right now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-exploded-without-any-contact-with-anything?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.