(Topic ID: 132144)

Backglass almost perfect - leave it or treat it? (Bon Voyage)

By xsvtoys

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bob_Voyage_back_glass_back_side.jpg
Bon-Voyage-back-glass-1-small.jpg
#1 8 years ago

My first pinball is the EM Bally Bon Voyage. Overall it is in pretty nice shape, and that especially goes for the back glass. As far as I can tell, it is darn close to perfect. If there are any flaws in it, they are very small and hard to find. Here are pictures of the front and the back.

Should I leave it as it is, and just continue to take good care of it?(I most likely will swap the lamps out for LEDs at some point).

Or, should I treat the back with the recommended Krylon that everyone uses, as a protective measure for the future?

Bon-Voyage-back-glass-1-small.jpgBon-Voyage-back-glass-1-small.jpg

Bob Voyage back glass back side.jpgBob Voyage back glass back side.jpg

#2 8 years ago

"Don't let perfect be the enemy of good." -Voltaire

I'm sure many of us have taken a pinball part that was just fine, tried to clean/polish/paint it so it looks even better, and wound up ruining it. Don't let this happen to your backglass.

#3 8 years ago

it's unlikely in your home that you'll expose it to the environmental issues that caused so many problems. It wont be on all the time or exposed to freezing temps.

Enjoy this perfect backglass!

#4 8 years ago

Leave it be.

#5 8 years ago

It lasted this long without triple thick. As long as you keep it in the conditioned environment of your home you should be good to go. An overly damp basement does not count as a conditioned environment.

#6 8 years ago

OK, got it, thanks everyone for the advice. I will leave it alone. It is in the garage, but that is basically the same as inside the home here (SoCal).

#7 8 years ago

Doesn't your garage get hot in the summer time or is it an environmentally controlled garage?

#8 8 years ago

Not too bad typically, it might get into the high 80s for a few days in mid summer, otherwise it stays pretty constant. We are not far from the coast so it doesn't get overly hot here. What are the general rules for heat and the pinball machines? As far as the opposite end, it rarely would get below the low 50s in the winter.

#9 8 years ago

Freeze-thaw and higher humidity are your biggest culprits. You should be fine in you garage.

1 week later
#10 8 years ago

If it was mine, I would take it to a body shop and have it clear coated. I've done six or seven like this and they are perfect and will last forever in all climates.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backglass-almost-perfect-leave-it-or-treat-it-bob-voyage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.