You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

door (resized).jpg
20200509_093151 (resized).jpg
backbox door (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I'm restoring a Williams EM that is missing the rear door of the backbox. What are my options to replace the door? The bottom channel and locking tab are still fastened to the backbox. I'm open to either finding a replacement door via Pinside or fabricating one myself out of a material (Masonite?) that I can grab at a hardware store. The photos below are just an example (Spanish Eyes); the door I actually need is for a '75 Satin Doll.

backbox door (resized).JPGbackbox door (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

I've made doors out of plywood before. Usually 5/8 fits tight in the channel so it doesn't rattle around. A lot of the new locks come with the washer that has the two spikes in it to dig into the wood and keep it from twisting in a round hole.

#3 3 years ago

Metal door is currently out of stock at Marco:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1D-3594-2

What I have done is to use a 1/2" thick piece of plywood cut to the correct size. Then I drill a 3/4" diameter hole for the lock in the correct spot (use a spiked lock mounting washer for installing the lock). I also drill two 1/4" deep holes in the appropriate spot for countersinking the backglass slide bars (this is so you can close the back door all the way).

#4 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I posted a want ad here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-rear-door#post-5637731

I'll create my own if something isn't available.

One other thought would be to have an tinner/HVAC shop fabricate one. I'm guessing: hemmed edges and one side formed to fit the bottom track. What gauge is an original?

#5 3 years ago

Mine measures at 0.45 thousand thick on a Nip-It

#6 3 years ago

Would someone please post pictures of a metal door so I can see what it looks like from the side and the interior.

Also, I don't see why the backglass slide bars stick out as far as they do. Shouldn't they stop at or before the plane of the lock receiver? In both the open and closed position they extend well beyond the limit of the door recess.

20200509_093151 (resized).jpg20200509_093151 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

To answer my own question, the backglass slide bars stick out as far as they do when open so that the backglass must be locked in order to put the door back on.

#8 3 years ago

It's for absent-minded techs who forget to lock the backglass. If the glass slides are still in the unlocked position, when you close the back door, it will automatically push the glass slide locks to the closed/locked position for you. Someone at the factories were thinking when they designed that system.

#10 3 years ago

I chose to cut my own door out of 1/4" thick hardboard. The thin plywood at the hardware store was warped and would have required paint. Total cost with lock: $12.50

door (resized).jpgdoor (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-rear-door-options and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.