(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#57 3 years ago

I think we all have a responsibility to welcome diverse people of all walks of life into our lives and communities. It can start with pinball but it cannot end there.

Tolerance isn't enough- acceptance, encouragement, and understanding are needed. If that simple statement causes you discomfort, I encourage introspection.

1 week later
    #349 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

I listened to the podcast.

Are you sure we listened to the same one?

1 month later
    #413 3 years ago

As a fairly large male construction worker with a boyfriend and a basement full of pinball machines at home, I really think using my sexuality, and the sexuality of some random imaginary bar-goer to prove tolerance is very, very strange. I also think it's the kind of example that people make when they're either incapable of self-reflection, or they don't think it likely that someone who fits their hypothetical example would be standing around in the room while an example is being made of them.

#416 3 years ago

My presence in this forum, in the pinball community, or at an arcade, should not be considered hyperbolic nor exceptional. And yet here it seems to be, which seems a touch on the nose.

#431 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Your presence is that you are a human... who is interested in pinball.
    We aren't interested in the rest... but you seem to be making a point of waving it around. That was the point of the post... You're gay? No one cares.

Yeah, I just limp-wristed my way into this shitshow just to make you uncomfortable. Just here to sparkle up the joint.

No, I came back to say that I don't appreciate being used as a prop, to jack up a flawed hypothetical that is ridiculous at best and offensive at worst. I have never once on Pinside mentioned the way I swing until someone badly tried to use that as an example of why folks like me should feel included and it was actually a fairly shockingly open illustration of why folks who are in any way different (visibly or not) than the regular crowd tend to shy away.

The fact that I can't even reply and say "Hey, I don't think that's cool to be talked about that way" without being told that I'm waving it around is ridiculous, but not entirely unpredictable. It wouldn't be the first time that someone's said it.

SMDH. The ignorance is absolutely appalling.

#435 3 years ago

Am I supposed to apologize for not coddling someone who has said something genuinely ignorant? Good grief.

#437 3 years ago

Why would you, or any other normal person, think that that incredibly ridiculous situation would or could occur? In what universe would you think that would not only support your position, but make it seem reasonable? Am I supposed to only look at the first paragraph and ignore the screed below it?

Print out your post, go take a short walk to a quiet place where you're alone, and read it out loud. Maybe a couple of times. Then walk back home spending some time reflecting on the words that you've just heard yourself say.

#441 3 years ago

If any of those posters were truly indifferent to someone's skin colour, sexuality, gender, religion, whatever- they wouldn't need to create a hypothetical argument or fanciful situation unprompted. We just want to play pinball too, but being used as a prop argument in a discussion about the reasons why communities lack diversity is one of the reasons why people don't chime in. You don't hear it, because on the *extremely rare* occasion that we show up and say "Hey, that's kind of a weird thing to say" we get told alternately that we're dick waving or that we're flaunting it. Both have occurred in this thread. Both have occurred in IRL as well, so it's not like anyone is making a novel argument here.

That's the simple point I'm trying to make.

Just play fucking pinball.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider semicolin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=semicolin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.