(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotron.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago

liberal progressives HAVE to destroy everything. always an agenda.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Destroy what? White supremacy? Sexism? This is the hill you want to die on?

i never ever went to an event and had a thought on the people that would be there. black, white, gay, male or female. i just go and get along with everybody. i dont have to split hairs on why certain people are not there playing thats the hill i am on.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

There's a couple things we can look at when it comes to your perspective.
    First, your initial response was a lot more vitriolic, and claimed that people who were looking for more diversity were looking to "destroy" things. It's interesting that being more welcoming, and more inclusive would be seen as destructive, it implies you really want to protect a certain status quo. If you actually "get along with everybody" why does the prospect of everybody including more diverse faces seem to frighten you? You can see why that sounds confusing if you stop and think about it.
    That really gets to the heart of the matter though, and this isn't just about you personally, you're just representing the viewpoint perfectly: If you're already benefitting from a system it's often hard to care about changing it.
    Throughout history there have always been people who are in the club who don't care about the people outside who can't get in. You're comfortable, you already have a table, what's the problem?
    This comes in a lot of flavors, from subtle to outrageous and ugly. Pinball doesn't have a Whites Only drinking fountain problem. There are no signs posted, and nobody is being turned away at the door.
    There's also no denying that pinball is Hella White™. Pinball has been Hella Male™ for a long time too, and we're slowly seeing that change. More women playing didn't just happen by itself, it took outreach and effort and speaking up, and it's very much an ongoing process. Again, there weren't signs hung that said Men Only. But it's been well documented how women could often be made to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome at events and leagues.
    If you're a man you might not even be aware of it unless it's explicitly pointed out to you. As cait001 says, that's privilege, when you're already comfortable, so you don't see how others might not be. I've been guilty of it myself, and have expanded my understanding by listening. And I enjoy having more women play, as far as I'm concerned we all win.
    This doesn't make men bad. And it doesn't make white people bad either in this situation. You don't have to be defensive, nobody is trying to destroy you, or take anything away from you. As I said in my earlier post about the fighting game community, as white guy I benefit from greater diversity in my community. It's better for it. You shouldn't be looking at anything being destroyed. These conversations, while often awkward and uncomfortable at first, actually benefit everyone in the end.
    You downvoted my post, so I don't really imagine you're listening. That's okay, I'm not here to change your mind. I don't actually get along with everybody like you claim to, I'm good with not spending my time with some folk. But maybe others are reading who find my thoughts on this interesting in some way.

fyi i grew up hanging at chinatown fair in mott street. there were many many fights. there were groups of people that were not inclusive like you say they are. most were divided into asian, white, black groups maybe it was back in the day but the group of fighting community was not an utopia. btw the people that fight for equality seem to be the most divisive. look in the mirror. if people dont agree with the utopia you are trying to create we are called all type of derogatory names and insults. guess what there will NEVER be a star trek type utopia ever anywhere. forcing agendas turns people off. btw i dont have “privilege” i worked very hard for everything i ever had and it disgusts me when people say others have privilege. i grew up in the gutter in brooklyn and had many of irish cop kick my ass just for being on the corner dont speak to me about racial equality. you really come off as a condenscending person when people dont agree with your utopian views.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Reminds me of the classic joke. You can call a white person whatever and not offend them. Except racist. That really upsets them.

the thing is i am not white i am hispanic.
    i am from puerto rico. when white people say there is white privilege its like “its obvious we have privilege“ are you saying you are a better race so you have privelege? so condenscending. yes, thats the way you come off.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Hi jodester
    Thanks for chiming in on this thread. And thanks for being a mod, too. A thankless job if ever there was one. Volunteer work for not much in return. Impossible to please everyone. So...thank you...for showing up to this party.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to take a moment to talk about a couple of things. You asked...

I have a difficult time with this argument when there are really ugly posts popping up saying things like:

...and...
    [quoted image]
    It's like saying, "If Party A likes to spit in people's faces and Party B doesn't, then who's to say that we should keep Party A from spitting in people's faces?" The answer is not political, but rather common decency. It's also in the Pinside rules that you've volunteered to uphold. "Racism, name-calling, and discrimination..."
    https://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules
    You also asked:

I'm glad you're asking questions. Sincerely. It's how we all learn. And believe it or not, there are a lot of suggestions being discussed, from top down approaches (manufacturers taking a financial risk on a theme with a primary demographic that is not white-male dominated) to bottom up, such as...

...but we could even focus on our group right here. Pinside. ...and you have some power in that regard, Jodester. You volunteered as a Pinside Moderator, but with that dose of power comes some responsibility. You actually have some power to make a difference here! For starters:

...then listen.
    Like, really listen.
    And then work to implement changes based on those suggestions.
    While we're having an uncomfortable discussion here, there's another thing that came out of your keyboard that I'd like to chat about.

These "labels" you mentioned are merely facts. I don't understand why this is problematic when they are things that just ARE. Are you male? Are you white? If you answered yes to those two then you ARE the third as well. I fall into all of these categories. Based on your posts, I'd wager you are, too.
    If I'm right, I have a little challenge for you tonight, to have a think. Like, a real, put-down-the-phone, lay-in-bed, stare-at-the ceiling, think.
    When you're laying there, take a moment to think about how seldom you've been scared to walk to your car at night. Think about how rare it is that you fear being groped in a crowd. Think about how you've never thought your life hung in the balance when you've been pulled over. Think about how you probably haven't been afraid to be yourself since maybe high school. These are very real concerns that a lot of folks, that are not like you and me, are faced with daily.
    Also-also, on the topic of having a good think...

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I'm about your least favorite pinsider by this point, but I'm gonna add one more list item to your good think tonight. In the statement above, in a not very veiled way, you're saying that women, people of color and LGBTQ are poor. Not an okay generalization to make. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe those distilled words were not your intentions. But please read your statement again. The assumption is there.
    Finally, I'm sure it feels icky to hear things like...

...but when you respond with things like...

...then you are part of the problem.
    BUT HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS, and my god, Jodester, I hope you made it this far.
    The GOOD NEWS is that you're not a bad person and you're not alone. You know why? Because we're all part of the problem. I am too. I've made plenty of fucked-up and ignorant mistakes in my life and stuck my foot in my mouth in very regrettable ways. But I'm doing my best to be inquisitive (LIKE YOU ARE...ASKING QUESTIONS!) and remain open-minded about our role in why this diversity conversation needs to happen and changes need to be made.

so here you are making the bad guy list.
    this is what this is. a list of the people you would like to throw out of pinside. maybe even call their jobs to say they are racist right? pitchforks and all.

#151 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So what happened to the colorblind Robotron of two posts ago who gets along with everybody and is totally above concerns about peoples' races, genders, and sexuality?
    Get that guy back here please, he seems a lot cooler.

levi do you cross the street when you see a black person coming your way?
    you and i know many of the same great people in this hobby although we have never met. trust me you are wrong about me and maybe i am wrong about you.

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Why are you constantly trying to portray yourself as some kind of victim? How is that at all useful, except to try and make this conversation about you?

i call it as i see it. i am the token minority at the pinball gatherings. why are you picking on me?you fat bald sweaty white guys. (tongue-in-cheek)

#176 3 years ago

there are no easy answers on both sides. for me though some questions should not be asked.

#224 3 years ago

so i am gonna make a pledge here because of this topic. i promise that the next pinball event i will leave the status quo pinball shirtat home and dress up in a puerto rican flag shirt and a straw hat. i will do this so the white privilege folks here will feel better about themselves and see a little more diversity at the pinball events. we can talk about the days when i was a poor kid and cut sugarcane with a machete for 50 cents a day at the age of 8 and you were in the boy scouts camping.

61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpegEC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpegEC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotron.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=robotron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.