(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Anyone going to listen to this crap?

Why is it crap? Do you have a racist sexist podcast? Is competition to your male white supremacy triggering you, snowflake?

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

liberal progressives HAVE to destroy everything. always an agenda.

Destroy what? White supremacy? Sexism? This is the hill you want to die on?

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Some people wake up each & every day and need to find something to be offended about. That certainly applies here. Listen to yourselves, you're embarrassing and undignified.

Some people, like you, wake up every day and don’t think about being profiled, stalked, kidnapped, killed. That’s what privilege is. You have it. You’re unaware of it because you’ve never had to think about it. Try listening to the life experiences of other people. Have empathy and understanding. No one wakes up finding things to be offended about.

Quoted from robotron:

btw i dont have “privilege” i worked very hard for everything i ever had and it disgusts me when people say others have privilege.

Privilege has nothing to do with your work ethic. It means you don’t have the extra systemic societal obstacles that women, people of color, and other marginalized people have to deal with on a daily basis. It’s not an insult when people talk about privilege. It’s just a statement of fact & something to be aware of so that perhaps you can have empathy for people who go through shit you’ve never had to even think about.

#40 3 years ago

^^^ This is privilege.
    “It doesn’t affect me, so who cares.”
    “I’ve never heard of it, so I will belittle it as not relevant”.

It would really benefit a bunch of you to stop being stubborn and angry about a topic that’s asking nothing from you but to LISTEN to the life experience of other human beings & imagine what it’s like to walk in their shoes. Others sharing their experience is NOT an attack on you.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

These topics always go down the same path, pointing out “white males”
    Every time no matter how it’s spun it always boils down to that. No other gender or race will ever be publicly faulted without an online war. Which in itself is a racist mindset because it takes an entire race and an entire gender and stereotypes them as ALL having the same mindset. Then you have people that fall into that classification (white males) that say “you’re right” or “you’re wrong” so there ends up being white males that try to say that’s not true and other white males that say it is true which spins argumentative responses.
    So root cause thought: if some cosmic event would happen that in the snap of a finger ALL WHITE MALES turned to dust, would all of the racist and equality issues be solved?

Once again, missing the point, taking it as an attack, stubbornly fighting something that isn’t meant to be a fight.

The discussion about white male privilege isn’t about YOU specifically...it’s about how you (and I) have benefited from systemic advantages & acknowledging the history behind it. Why am I, as a white male, not offended by this discussion? Why is it that I don’t feel threatened by acknowledging the inherent privilege I have as a white male in this country? It’s a fact! I’ve never thought about being kidnapped or raped...that’s something women think about everyday. That is privilege. I have it. I’ve never thought that I was being paid less than someone else or might not get a job due to my gender or race. That is privilege. I’ve never been profiled in a store or by police. That is privilege. See? It doesn’t hurt to acknowledge the difficulty of other peoples’ experience...they’re not racists for having those experiences and talking about them.

That’s all this is about. It’s very simple:
    -Listen to people’s’ life experience.
    -Acknowledge the system has been inherently fairer to you.
    -Try to be part of the solution. Be kind. Be welcoming. Don’t discriminate. Listen.

Honestly, just listening goes so far. Listen and process before that instinct to battle kicks in. The whole point of this is to stop seeing life as a versus battle.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Nobody likes to be labeled.( i.e Privileged White Male) Painting a broad brush on any group can only cause more issues and not help solve an existing problem.

That “label” isn’t an insult. Its not painting any group. Its context is in the discussion of society and systemic issues. Once again: Privilege just means there are bad things based on race & gender that happen to other people on a daily basis that never happen to us.

I am a privileged white male. Saying it, hearing others say it, and accepting the concept doesn’t raise my blood pressure. The concept isn’t a personal attack...it’s just the nature of our society & its history. Learn what the term means, and take it into account when discussing issues of society. It only causes more issues if you get stubborn about it and push back against the reality of it.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Imagine life as a video game.. right now, the difficulty settings would broadly reflect:
    -Easy- White male
    -Medium- Colored male or white female
    -Hard- Colored female

That’s almost exactly how the South Park game starts...the difficulty level slider makes your skin lighter or darker. They get it.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Wish all of you who constantly spout this "just listen" could actually practice this yourselves, this whole conversation has been one way, "your way or the highway", no, just ask the many who were silenced through being thrown out of the thread. If you honestly can't see you're doing exactly what you profess is being so wrongly perpetrated upon you then you need to take your blinders off, the conversation going on here is between "you and you" it never has it been about "you and me". And please the ridiculous stance this is not attack on you and if you take it that way you're just "misunderstanding" is simply lame and laughable at best, another perfect example of your unwillingness to hear or consider a view contrary to that of your own.

Again, you’re framing this as “vs.” ...a “both sides” issue. It’s not. My point of view is that racism & sexism is bad. What’s your contrary view? Racism & sexism is good? I’m happy to have a two way discussion with you...but if your premise is that we’re discussing “this vs. that”, I’m not sure what you hope to gain or accomplish....but hey, try me. Sell me on white supremacy & suppression of women, go!

#159 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

when white people say there is white privelege its like “its obvious we have privelege“ are you saying you are a better race so you have privelege? so condenscending

That’s not even remotely what it means. It’s an acknowledgement that we go through life not dealing with or even thinking about daily harassment. It’s actually a notion that you’re humbled by your random lot in life, and that you have empathy for people who’ve had different life experiences.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Good example of what I was just saying, I don't see things same as you do so I automatically get labeled. I guess you just skipped over where I mention I support minorities regardless of race or gender, or did you purposely skip that?

If you support them, then what’s your issue or “other side”? Looks like we’re in this together, but you’re agro for some reason.

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You are missing the point, the idea of privilege is relative. If you were a stage 4 cancer patient, the entire species would be privileged compared to you. You could argue, we are privileged just to be born in this country. It is a pointless, endless argument.

You can always find an individual who's got it rough compared to another. That's not the topic or issue.

We're talking about SYSTEMIC racism/sexism/privilege. It's a thing, it's provable, it's real, it affects people's lives daily....and we can do our part to minimize & eliminate the negative affects of it.

Humans are not altruistic, we are animals.

Minimizing the issue by offering irrelevant comparisons. Then saying we can't solve the issue cuz we all suck.

You're representing the absolute laziest stance....and unfortunately, that's dangerous for the people who are negatively affected by this issue.

#183 3 years ago

“Empathy”, the most important world in the English language, the only world that has not been used once in this thread.

Yes it has. That's literally what this whole thread is about.

You want to make the world a better place, stop making human babies.

Too late! My baby rules...sorry.

Oh and all of the other forms of discrimination are not systemic???

They could be. Let's talk about them and figure it out instead of trying to null it out out with false equivalency and nihilism.

#324 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I'd like to hear this, feel free to DM me. Don't know why it wouldn't be relevant, she's a black woman with her own views on diversity.

It’s weird when people won’t listen to any black people about their life experiences except the ONE who works for a white supremacist/sexist like Dennis Prager that says what they want to hear.

It’s like when people deny climate change because 1 scientist disputes thousands. As long as you can find the one who fits what you want to hear, everyone else must be wrong.

https://newsone.com/3848636/candace-owens-receipts-con-artist/

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Why is that? Blacks can't have their own thoughts or opinions? You can't be black and conservative? Newsone seems like a reputable rag! Haha

Dodged the point & put words in my mouth. Why do conservatives dismiss every black person’s experience with systemic racism...but shove Candace Owens in your face with “HERE! HERES ONE! ONE WHO DOENSN’T AGREE!!! SHE SPEAKS FOR ALL BLACK PEOPLE NOW!!!! YOU’RE A RACIST IF YOU DON’T AGREE WITH HER!!!”

She’s a con...not sure about the “servative” part.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.