(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 3 years ago

These topics always go down the same path, pointing out “white males”
    Every time no matter how it’s spun it always boils down to that. No other gender or race will ever be publicly faulted without an online war. Which in itself is a racist mindset because it takes an entire race and an entire gender and stereotypes them as ALL having the same mindset. Then you have people that fall into that classification (white males) that say “you’re right” or “you’re wrong” so there ends up being white males that try to say that’s not true and other white males that say it is true which spins argumentative responses.

So root cause thought: if some cosmic event would happen that in the snap of a finger ALL WHITE MALES turned to dust, would all of the racist and equality issues be solved?

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

you are reducing diversity to a ridiculous strawman. It doesn't even seem like you're in the same ballpark here.
    sigh. we don't need some "all lives matter" kind of redirect here

I’m not reducing anything. Just stating what I see. The conversation led to “white males” as the root cause. And I’m in the NO LIVES MATTER camp. We are all equally worthless. I’d like to see aliens come back to remind us that our whole existence is because we are a slave species created to mine whatever resources they needed and obtained before they decided to abandon the planet. Then all these conversations around race, gender, sexuality, and religion would immediately dissolve.

Quoted from Aurich:

Are there a lot of these conversations in Mogadore, Ohio? I'd never heard of it, had to look it up. You live in a town with less than 4000 people that's 97% white, so I'd just be surprised if there were, that's all. But I've never been there.

I've already pointed out a case where that wasn't true, but maybe you're not reading and just reacting. It's really obvious that this topic makes some people instantly defensive and emotional. See "inviting anyone else to the party will destroy it!" as the prime example.
    Guess what? Pinball is vast majority white males. So yeah, white men gotta answer for some things here, because that's who's in the room. You don't need a genius IQ to figure that out, just a pair of working eyeballs and the ability to leave your house.
    It doesn't make me defensive, because basic facts don't get under my skin like that. If anyone acts like being a white man is some aggrieved position they're living the most precious sheltered life. Does that mean your life is perfect and nothing bad ever happens because you're a white guy? No.
    Either way, the fundamental problem with your response, and every other emotional response in this thread, is nobody is asking anything to be taken away from you. Welcoming more people into the hobby doesn't hurt you.

Not sure if I should be impressed by your looking up and reporting on the stats of my current city of residence or creeped out. But where I live at the moment doesn’t represent where I lived my whole life or how I value people or stances. Nothing emotional about my response. Again pointing out that it’s typical for these conversations to go down the avenue of white male targets. How does that translate to emotion? The 5 responses my question generated seem more emotional than my statement. A few people will answer the question but for the most part all that’s happening is people assume that I live in a bubble, assume I don’t know how to read, and assume I feel attacked.

I read this thread with the direction cait001 opened it with. Diversity in pinball... which is an awesome thing but after about 25 posts it becomes less about pinball then it’s starts to happen.... the classic buzzwords, privilege, white, male, now we are 75 posts in. I pop in on post 76 and point out that this always happens and ask if white males were gone if the problem would be fixed and now I’m public enemy number one.

Pinball is diverse. (That is measurable)
    Pinside is NOT as diverse or a good reflection of the amount of women or people of color in the hobby (That is also measurable)
    Discussions around diversity inevitably lead to someone blaming white males which is ironic because these discussions are supposed to be about equality yet a very specific demographic is openly accepted as being ok to blame. That’s counterproductive.

cait001 I’m glad you started this thread, diversity in pinball needs to be celebrated. What everyone needs to consider is if the numbers are lopsided, then it’s best to ask those outside of the majority specifically why they don’t enjoy pinball and addressing those specific responses instead of the conversation being built on assumptions that it’s probably because of white males somehow.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

As an educated atheist, I would argue diversity is a bunch of made up BS only found in the minds of humans. I don’t support the movement because acknowledging false diversity is one of the worst parts of humans. The truth is from a scientific perspective there is no such thing as diversity in humans.......We are frankly all the same. Do you call an orange cat and a black cat in the same room diversity of cats? You don’t! Well why are humans doing it. Did you know that same sex attraction exists in the animal kingdom?? Get a clue and educate yourself! The term diversity does more to divide us than it does to unite us. It’s just another side of the same stupid coin. Humans need to wake up and realize, that we are not the only intelligent species on the planet, in fact, we are one if the weakest, dumbest, most violent, irresponsible, over rated species on the planet........and NO, this planet was not created for us! We have created a made up world that doesn’t exist and we teach our children that made up reality is “OK” from the day they are born, when we baptize them. Most of the excuses we use to exercise the hate within us can be traced back to our ridiculous Religions. Until we abandon religion, we are doomed and won’t progress as a species. Now will getting rid of religion end hate.......heck no, but at least we as a species will start to acknowledge we are not “all that and a bag of chips”. Our hate stems from our biological greed and our will to eliminate competition.

Thank you!
    That’s basically what I was saying with this statement.

Quoted from mrm_4:

And I’m in the NO LIVES MATTER camp. We are all equally worthless. I’d like to see aliens come back to remind us that our whole existence is because we are a slave species created to mine whatever resources they needed and obtained before they decided to abandon the planet. Then all these conversations around race, gender, sexuality, and religion would immediately dissolve.

#298 3 years ago
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #356 3 years ago

But?....
    Well what if?....
    Umm....

So now what???

AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpegAC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    #362 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:we don't need pinsiders posting their collection of racist memes.

I agree

Quoted from cait001:

after giving a thumbs up to a racist meme

In all fairness I dont think you can call a flow chart depicting how boxed in our culture's way of thinking has become as a "Racist Meme"
    Its more to show that pretty much race has become such an emphasis now that even when you try to do something from a good place there are definitions to show it comes from a place of racism. Its pretty sad.

The fact that "Pinside" allows this thread to stay open shows they are being inclusive and inviting by breaking their own rules. Whether you like it or not and this will sting, identity politics are still POLITICS. And we know the rules of Pinside about politics.

Quoted from Dr-pin:

I dont see it as a merit trying to convince some kind of group to participate, just to get representation.

Thats the "Cultural Appropriation" block of the chart. Cant win man!

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

No one knows if you're male, female, white, black, what have you.
    Pinside seems pretty inclusive to me.

This was a point I raised in a conversation with my brother the other day and basically the thought nowadays is "because you purposely are ignoring those factors makes you racist"
    WTF How?!!!!

#409 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

But if it's obvious that it's their partner with them, I'm not going to act like I don't see that they're a couple.

I think the point trying to be made is, why does it have to be treated as a spectacle and acknowledged. I think its fair to say we all want to be treated equal, so why treat the difference like its a miracle accomplishment.

Anyone that purposely points it out as a negative thing is in the wrong and should be called out but not acknowledging it doesnt make you a bad person:

Person A: "Hey Im gay"

Person B: "Ok so? Whats that have to do with locking the 3rd ball for multi?"

Person A: "Well I think there needs to be more gay people in pinball"

Person B: "Dude can you stop thinking with your dick for 3 seconds and focus on hitting that scoop you're about to GC this machine! I dont care who you're banging"

Person A: "I knew this hobby was full of closed minded people! I dont feel welcome!"

Person B: "Just hit the scoop!"

#426 3 years ago

Even more realistic scenario

Pinsiders: Debating diversity in Pinball
    Meteor: Slams into earth
    [none of this matters, cockroaches see another species rule the planet]

#433 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

The fact that I can't even reply and say "Hey, I don't think that's cool to be talked about that way"

No one talked about you in anyway man. Get past your inflated self importance, you’re not the appointed gay representative of the fake simplistic over the top scenario I laid out

#434 3 years ago

Actually I’m rethinking that. With how you interact on the forum I can imagine you being EXACTLY who that guy is in-person

#436 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

something genuinely ignorant?

Something that’s ignorant is that it’s seems everyone is ignorant of this piece here that sets the tone of the scenario

810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg

explain why I get a down vote for promoting equality and calling out people that have a problem with differences.
    Or do you only take things out of context?

#438 3 years ago

The actual dialogue would never happen. That’s the point. It’s an all encompassing exaggeration of both sides of this debate about representation and forcing the agenda to show how ridiculous it is.

Person B = People that wanna play pinball and just would rather see people as people and not a TYPE of person

Person A = People that wanna play pinball but feel the need to make sure that every type of label you can give a person is represented and if they aren’t represented, will make sure that everyone else knows it and makes that representation more important than just playing pinball.

And then drive a point that if you aren’t onboard with this labeling, and making sure to make a point beefing up the numbers of (insert label of person), then you’re an intolerant bigoted racist fascist.

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m starting to think this whole thread is on meth.

That’s not being inclusive to people with drug addictions! What about people that are on opioids?!! Don’t they get to be represented?!!!! Why is it always gotta be about meth???? Why do you assume it’s meth anyway? Is that your privilege showing?

I think it’s a shame we don’t have enough representation for all addicts in pinball! I think we should advocate for this.

But then I guess we would need to bring a balanced diverse group of drug addicts into the hobby. Not only all addictive drugs but every race, religion, sexuality, creed to be included for each of those drugs...
    FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

#454 3 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It's funny that you mention the COVID thread. I noticed that many of the people who are arguing against science in that thread are the same people arguing against inclusiveness in this thread. Coincidence?

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gifFAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrm_4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.