(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 3 years ago

The people here claiming to not be racist, sexist... you sure seem to be making quite the fuss over other peoples' attempts to bring pinball to more people. If you're not racist, why do these actions bother you so much? Funny how only the same few folks seem to have a problem with outreach.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

You will not make inroads with the population you which to enlighten unless a two way dialog exists.

That is why I asked them, who do other peoples' actions to bring more diverse people into pinball bother them so much?

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Nobody likes to be labeled.( i.e Privileged White Male) Painting a broad brush on any group can only cause more issues and not help solve an existing problem.

I didn't label anyone. I didn't call anyone a privileged white male. I asked people who are claiming not to be racist or sexist, why they are making such a fuss over other peoples' attempt to defeat racism and sexism.

If that question makes someone uncomfortable, perhaps some introspect is in order.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

Pinball requires a much bigger investment and also knowing someone that can service a broken pinball machine

As others have said, location play is available to anyone with a couple bucks. Also, you don't need to be wealthy to buy a fixer-upper pin and use the internet to learn how to fix it yourself. Your assumptions are actually part of the problem.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I am a privileged white male

I think it's easier to say that white males have been privileged all throughout history. For many centuries, that privilege was outright coded into law. Repealing the laws hasn't erased it completely, at least not yet.

Imagine life as a video game.. right now, the difficulty settings would broadly reflect:

-Easy- White male
    -Medium- Colored male or white female
    -Hard- Colored female

Add in bonus difficulty for being disabled, autistic, LGBTQ, atheist, etc.

People for BLM, women's rights, etc. are simply trying to make it one difficulty level for all.

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

how many have been moderated or thrown out of the thread for saying things they feel are "hard to hear, need to be said

The people thrown out were blatantly racist. If you agree with them, there's not much to discuss with you.

Still waiting for them to answer my question.. why does outreach to minorities bother some people so much if, as they claim, they're not racist?

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Regardless of what I or others would or could say you wouldn't budge, you've made that clear

Won't budge on what? All I'm asking is why outreach makes you and others so uncomfortable? 4 pages now and no answer...

#166 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

I'm not uncomfortable what so ever, what aggravates me is when you and others pretend to be open-minded and ask for opinions and when you get them and they're not aligned with yours, you label, racist, boomer, uneducated, privileged old white men, instead of discuss

Can you show an example of me labeling someone like this?

Quoted from RWH:

destroying monuments, burning flags, in an attempt to destroy the history and culture of others

Do you understand those monuments represent the absolute worst of humanity to large swathes of people? Are you personally invested in any of those monuments? Can you understand the pain they inflict on those who must see slavery celebrated every time they see those statues? Why are we memorializing people who were essentially traitors to the US, who broke the Union to promote slavery?

Can you answer those questions and provide good reasons to keep the monuments?

Quoted from RWH:

I was raised in the country and have been called a hillbilly, white trash, uneducated, or as one of the confessed "woke" pinsiders on here call us "Southern Ohio village people"

You shouldn't be treated that way. I don't think anyone on pinside has called you any of those names.

Quoted from RWH:

I never once heard someone say are they White, Black, Chinese they all just stepped up and did what they could for them.

Black people are being killed way more often than they should. They need help. They are asking for help right now. Do you want to help?

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You are missing the point, the idea of privilege is relative. If you were a stage 4 cancer patient, the entire species would be privileged compared to you. You could argue, we are privileged just to be born in this country. It is a pointless, endless argument.

Do you think it's pointless to try evening the playing field?

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

The people thrown out were blatantly racist. If you agree with them, there's not much to discuss with you.

Quoted from RWH:

Good example of labeling with your above inference, you just threw me right in with the lot didn't you all because I said they never got their say, they were excluded which is the very suppression you speak of, it's your 1st amendment right.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed the "if" in my statement. I'll repeat myself for clarity: IF you agree with blatantly racist posts, you are racist. What other conclusion can be made?

The first amendment does not apply to a private forum. The post was deleted because it was so far outside accepted norms it disgusted the people who own the site, and they got rid of it. Just as you have the right to toss someone off your property if they're saying things you dislike.

I understand your point about monuments and American history, and I don't think you're actually racist. I don't think you understand just how much those statues hurt other people, otherwise I think you'd agree they need to go. Can you imagine going to town square and seeing a statue honoring a person who enslaved and killed your family members?

#247 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

That's true but the concept still remains, all are entitled to their opinion whether you or I agree and that is not to say we have to listen but I can assure you if all are not heard there can be no progress.

By "all" are you advocating we listen to white supremacists and racists' opinions? What exactly do you think they'll bring to the table? I'm with Aurich.. some things just aren't debatable.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

It is worth a watch, even if you disagree.

I'm trying to figure out how he can disagree with something he hasn't watched

#258 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

No. Why do you insist on bringing White Supremacy into a rational discussion??? Racist can and have changed their beliefs through education and dialog so yes you should engage them. There are posts within this thread that confess to having changed their beliefs so yes it's worth the effort (not meaning anyone in this thread is racist rather just highlighting change is possible).

When you say we should listen to "all" I am taking you at your word. And yes, it's always worth the effort to talk people away from those beliefs.

#259 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nothing really stands out to me at least.

So did you watch the cop kneeling on Floyd's neck til he died? That didn't stand out as a bit unfair?

#263 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes I saw it and I am outraged by it just like every other American is black, white, brown, whatever.

And why were you outraged?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.