(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 3 years ago

Thanks for posting the resources. As a middle aged white guy, one of the questions I think about a lot is how best to be an ally or how to ask questions.

I try to call out posts on Pinside that I feel are racist or hurtful to other genders/sexual orientation and it's exhausting. I can't imagine being the target of that stuff all the time.

#167 3 years ago

While the tech industry still has a long way to go, focusing on diversity has been very positive and paid off dividends.

I can only imagine it would have the same great effects on pinball.

I am personally trying my best to be an ally, but admittedly still learning what that means.

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Try being a 400lb white woman in this country, now tell me about white privilege. You fools think you can eliminate hate from the world because you are blinded into believing humans are good. Humans are not altruistic, we are animals.

I'm a fat white dude, and I certainly believe that I've been gifted with privilege over other groups. Sure, I've gotten "discriminated" against because of people's view on being obese, but not even a tiny sliver of a percent near what has been set up against minorities or LGBTQ people. Call me fat, don't give me the promotion because you don't like the way I look, that stuff is like a minor fart of wind compared to having statistically proven bias against your ethnic group. Also being fat is something I can change, that I have control over.

I do agree with you that a lot of people are garbage. That has become super evident over the past decade. We can all try better though, even if it's something as small as thinking about what we say and who it might make pinball less welcoming to.

#265 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Because nobody should be treated like that. Duh

Do you also understand that this kind of thing happens statistically more with black people? That there is definitely a bias against them?

To bring it back to pinball, let's take that same person that has been discriminated against their whole life, be it black, LGBTQ, etc... They think pinball is cool but all they see are middle age white guys that have typically been their oppressors.

Would you feel welcome? Would you even give it a chance?

Wouldn't it be nicer if those middle aged white guys stood up and said "You're welcome any time, and don't be afraid, we value you and your presence here."

To play Devil's advocate, let's pretend that you feel like you are already welcoming and that doesn't need to be said. What's the harm in saying it anyway? You might come off as a nicer person?

#267 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Do you realize that statistics do not support your claims at all? In fact, they fly in the face of said claim.

Could you show me some?

Here is the report done in North Charleston that showed racial bias in our police department: https://www.charleston-sc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/25213/CNA-CPD-Final-Report---11719

This strays away a little from the purpose of the thread, so if we need to go to PM we can.

#273 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Again these Statistics are published and there for you to look at, objectively.
    As for your assertion re. frequency of stops, you need to look further than mere #'s of interactions.
    Based on published Federal Crime Statistics, there is a valid reason why Policing is more intense in certain Zip Codes :
    These are where the Majority of Violent Crimes occur and where the Majority of calls for Police action/response are coming from. It is not nearly as cut and dry as simple numbers of stops and the respective race of the citizen / suspect stopped.
    As for the assertions that one race is more likely to be on the receiving end of violent confrontation with Police, the numbers do not back this up. In fact, when you examine the numbers you will be surprised at the disparities occuring along racial lines. They are not what you think they are.

I still would love some examples, because I've googled a lot this morning and can't find any. I did however find a bunch of reports that support racial bias in policing.

Here is a report from the United States Commission on Civil Rights, an entity formed by Congress (https://www.usccr.gov/pubs/2018/11-15-Police-Force.pdf) which states:

"The best available evidence reflects high rates of uses of force nationally, with increased likelihood of police use of force against people of color, people with disabilities, LGBT people, people with mental health concerns, people with low incomes, and those at the intersection of these communities. "

I also found several analyses of the FBI use of force data, and they all found racial disparity:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938186/police-shootings-killings-racism-racial-disparities

https://abc7.com/black-arrests-southern-california-racial-disparity-population/6243356/

In fact, in 2015 the director of the FBI gave a speech on "Hard Truths: Law Enforcement and Race". It doesn't call out specific statistics but acknowledges the problem.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/speeches/hard-truths-law-enforcement-and-race

Serious question, is there any data I can show you that would change your mind?

#276 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

For those who wanted some grounding, here is a guy breaking down the stats for you:

My favorite part of that video? Where he shows that black people are arrested more often than whites:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

But then goes on to ask if black people who report black crime are racist?

#279 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Because they commit more crimes, more violent crimes and also an argument can be made that they resist arrest at nearly twice the rates as other racial groups (though that Data Set is insufficient and the assertion more difficult to prove, in my opinion).

I honestly don't even know what to say to that. That statement is inherently racist.

#293 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Is there anything that would change your opinion on this subject, or are you merely in this discussion to signal your virtuous nature?

I am always open to new data, but that video is racist and incorrectly aligns different sets of statistics. I can find videos that say the earth is flat, but those are not correct either.

I watched your video, did you read all the reports I posted?

EDIT: I also feel like maybe I'm being baited into some kind of trap to draw away from the real subject of this thread, which is diversity in pinball. I will respond via PM about the racial bias in policing if anyone wants to chat about it with me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=Wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.