(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#399 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's because of toxic masculinity that has ingrained into society that men can't openly enjoy things like knitting. It's that simple.
    But you're right to a degree, it's a product of the broader American culture. There was a lot of segregation in arcades, where they were placed, and how easy it was for different demographics to visit them (eg the "good mall" in the suburbs vs "the dangerous mall" in the city core). There are simply a lot of minorities that did not grow up with the game during the heyday, which was exacerbated by how few public locations were left to play at.

A bit of a scattered rant, so bear with me...

Why would a mall in a city be any more dangerous compared to one in the suburbs? What makes it dangerous? If I think I get what you are saying, wouldn't that just be perpetuating what you are saying you are against? This is confusing to me. Seriously.

Back in my day, the city malls around my parts ALWAYS had the best arcades, with the latest games, and that usually meant us younger folks had to wait for the older people or kids to move on to another game so we could play. Conversely, the arcades in the 'burbs always had the older or less popular games.

Perhaps you are suggesting socio-economic barriers to pinball?

I guess at the end of the day, people are tribal; they like to do what they are familiar with, with those they are familiar with. People generally like to conform. This cuts across all races, backgrounds, classes...it's literally instinctual.

Small examples, but examples nonetheless:

My wife's parents (who happen to be a mixed race couple, but that's not what I'm getting at...) happen to be of a religious persuasion that like to (annoyingly) knock on people's doors to tell them about it. They tend to socialize with other "door knockers".

A neighbor of mine is a proud Italian. He is what most would call a "paison"; in fact, if he likes you, he calls you a "paison" as well. Guess what he does literally every Saturday? He plays cards in the back of a fellow Italian immigrant's barber shop with other Italians.

I like to play pinball. Guess what I do every Monday night when covid isn't in town? I play pinball with other pinball people! And it's a pretty fun, and welcoming to ALL that show up. And it's a diverse crowd, pretty much the entire gamut of the the human condition (gay, straight, trans, liberal, conservative, black, white, short, fat, ugly, pretty, rich, redneck, bougie, extrovert, introvert, poor, etc., etc., etc.) Maybe it's like cats and dogs getting together, but we all have a good time, and we even bust each other's chops too! Crazy!

Maybe the "scene" is different up here in the Northeast, but pinball might actually be one of the most people "diverse" things I do!

Pinball not welcoming? I haven't seen it...not saying that YOU haven't, but most people I talk to tend to agree.

Maybe I just wasn't looking, but I didn't see a group of nazi's/black panthers/mafiosos/etc. out in front of Pinburgh last year trying to scare people off.

I'm well aware of of all the world's tragedies, but I find that if you do what's right, treat others with respect, and generally not be an asshole, it gets you pretty far.

I'll probably regret hitting "post", but I come here to ESCAPE from the world and discuss pinball, with like minded pinball people. But here I am. I guess I just take for granted the disproportionately large amount of kind people I've met in this hobby. From ALL walks of life. Or maybe I just like to type. I don't know. I'm out.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grandnational007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=Grandnational007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.