(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Post #106 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

liberal progressives HAVE to destroy everything. always an agenda.

What are you talking about?

It’s a podcast.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

fyi i grew up hanging at chinatown fair in mott street. there were many many fights. there were groups of people that were not inclusive like you say they are. most were divided into asian, white, black groups maybe it was back in the day but the group of fighting community was not an utopia. btw the people that fight for equality seem to be the most divisive. look in the mirror. if people dont agree with the utopia you are trying to create we are called all type of derogatory names and insults. guess what there will NEVER be a star trek type utopia ever anywhere. forcing agendas turns people off. btw i dont have “privilege” i worked very hard for everything i ever had and it disgusts me when people say others have privilege. i grew up in the gutter in brooklyn and had many of irish cop kick my ass just for being on the corner dont speak to me about racial equality. you really come off as a condenscending person when people dont agree with your utopian views.

So what happened to the colorblind Robotron of two posts ago who gets along with everybody and is totally above concerns about peoples' races, genders, and sexuality?

Get that guy back here please, he seems a lot cooler.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Come on man, that’s not really constructive. I actually find your post pretty awful. If you don’t have anything to add to the topic then pretty please just drain it and move on.

You just summed up his entire body of work here.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I say keep deleting the racist posts, no one should have to read that crap here. I would think that racist posts would also justify a permanent site ban, not just a boot from the thread.

It doesn’t work. The same people continue to dazzle us with the same garbage thread after thread, and continue to get moderated or ejected thread after thread, and the cycle repeats over and over. They can’t wait to pounce at the slightest provocation to let us know how much of struggle their white life has been, how all lives matter, how some people “just love to be offended...” etc etc.

I’ve had the same guy tell me publicly to “go loot with your black friends” and “there should be a tv show where you drive a truck into black protestors” in the past few weeks right here on pinside. Guy was not banned, and he’ll just be posting the same stuff in another thread like this any day now. Shocked he hasn’t shown up here yet.

I wonder where this comes from, why people think they need to do this here. My best guess is these Archie bunkers’ families are just tired of hearing these dull played out rants, so are their friends (if they have any) and this place serves as some kind of racist relief valve. It really doesn’t add anything here, there are like 3 “arguments” against progressive action in pinball and we’ve all heard them a million times.

Yes, we know you’ve never seen racism in pinball and you are are tired of people being offended. That’s great for you but there’s a whole world out there.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Lol, he lives in NYC, if he crossed the street every time he saw a POC he’d have been killed by a taxi already.

Yeah I walk down the middle of the street all day.

It’s getting tough with the slowly increasing traffic but you gotta do what you gotta do.

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Then you would be wrong my friend.

I’ll admit i called you unpatriotic when you suggested repealing the first amendment to arrest journalists you don’t like but I didn’t think that was so outrageous to say.

It’s ok, you got back at me by wasting the marines’ time and money. They guy who called me sounded pretty
    Pissed off when I told him was 45 and I didn’t think I’d make such a great recruit

For me, I just wish people wouldn’t be so defensive. “Diversity” isn’t trying to take anything from you, or persecute you, or affect your lives at all. At the bare minimum, all you have to do is nothing and allow people to be more comfortable around you. What’s easier than doing nothing?

#211 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Levi I honestly harbor no ill will towards you or anyone else and I will admit I did get a little to upset over your comment and for that I apologize it just kinda hit me where I can't scratch so to speak. I don't agree with all you believe and I know you feel the same but it doesn't make either of us bad people in any way. I felt and still feel that the publishing of materials that are outright lies or that are intended to bring harm to another should not be tolerated from our media outlets bar none so please don't reference Fox lol.

I’m down baby!

It’s one big happy hobby. Would be great really if that could happen.

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

History has shown that after the statues the books come next.

There are no statues of nazis in Germany, yet they all know about what happened there. The books still tell you.

How is that possible?!

As long as you don’t plan on bringing any statues - or arguing About them - at pinball events, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I think that’s part of being welcoming. Sometimes you might have to bite your tongue now and then on an opinion or even a response. I’ve done it for sure.

Don’t fight with people. Don’t make them feel like they shouldn’t be comfortable or someone doesn’t want them there, wherever you are playing pinball. If someone is obviously flaming gay, don’t snicker or say anything stupid. If a woman shows up, don’t talk down to her or comment on her bod. It’s really easy.

It’s back to my point - you don’t need to be “an ally.” You don’t have to put a BLM or rainbow flag bumper sticker on the 4X4. The bare minimum, the bar here, is just don’t do anything!

Just be cool! And If you want to do more, the. that’s great too.

#255 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Well if you watch that video on the previous page, it explains very clearly how policy has created an unfair playing field for black kids in the US. I just watched it and learnt a bunch of stuff I didn't know about US history.
    It's always good to be informed. I'll have to do a bit of research and see if I can find something similar about how indigenous people have been disadvantaged in my own country, I'm sure it's even worse.

Since Apparently most Americans can’t understand or learn about history Unless there’s a statue educating them about something, it seems like a pretty good solution; erect statues for African Americans who were either victimized by or helped combat racism.

Do this in every American city and town, just like how there are monuments to confederate generals in every southern city and town. Then maybe we’ll get somewhere.

Even in NYC this needs to happen. There are a tiny handful of statues in this town - among hundreds - representing anybody besides a white male.

#257 3 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Even Balto has a statue in New York.

Ha! Never heard of him before. I guess statues really are effective educational tools!

Good boy!

FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpegFC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    #272 3 years ago

I have never, not once in my life, been stopped just waking down the sidewalk for “looking suspicious.”

That’s a “privilege” poor Elijah McClain was not afforded. So now this 130 pound black kid - who used to play violin concerts for animals at the pound - is dead. He was only 23, half as old as me. I’ve managed to managed to make it to 45 without this happening to me. I wonder why.

I really don’t understand how people can ignore this problem when it’s so ridiculously obvious. Nobody should be killed for the crime of walking home. Nobody should be accused of “suspicious activity” and executed in public like this for the crime of picking up some Doritos.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/27/21304910/elijah-mcclain-george-floyd-black-lives-matter-protest-killing

It really does seem like we just need to blow up law enforcement in this country and start over. The cops - killing black kids people with abandon, barreling over harmless 75-year old protesters and cracking their skulls - They just seem like an army of poorly trained, militarized, violent goons.

The kindly Andy Griffith archetype has given way to an ugly, gestapo-like thug who has no understanding of use of force, when it should be used, and who it should be applied to. And it’s playing out on TV every night now, both fresh abuses and obscene crimes of the recent past that had been swept under the rug and are now getting a fresh look.

It seems plain as day to me. I can’t imagine how anybody wouldn’t be demanding change at this point.

And no that’s not a discussion we need to have at pinball events, but it’s one we are having here.

#278 3 years ago

Lol. Another YouTube link racist.

I ain’t clicking on that garbage.

#280 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I honestly don't even know what to say to that. That statement is inherently racist.

Correct.

#284 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

But if you did, would you resist arrest or try to grab the cop's gun or taser, causing a threat to the cop's life? I'm not saying that's the case with this kid, but always seems to be the narrative, cop tries to arrest you and you run and get involved with an altercation. Doesn't end well for you if the cop feels his life is threatened.

It’s always the narrative because that’s always what the cops say. You know, like how that 75-year old “tripped” and cracked his skull open. Oh it was all on camera? Oops.

It’s pretty clear at this point we can’t believe anything the cops say.

And two giant cops restraining a 130 pound scrawny black kid felt that “their lives were in danger?”

Gimme a break. The cops are out of control. It seems that whenever they interact with black people they suddenly feel their lives are in danger.

Law enforcement in the US is a hot mess and needs to be completely rethought.

#286 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

It's pretty clear, to any who are honest inerlocutors, that you are the textbook definition of a Useful Idiot.

Hold on I’ll find some random YouTube links to post I’m sure that’ll change your mind.

#288 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

But if you did,

You completely miss the point.

I wouldn’t. There’s no if.

I’ve gone well over half my life without getting stopped and harassed for no reason by the cops, and I’ll probably make it all the way to the finish line without a potentially deadly interaction like that happening to me for absolutely zero reason.

Some people are not lucky enough to have that “privilege.” Talk about deflection- you are deflecting and refusing to acknowledge this reality.

#290 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Be honest. Nothing can change your perspective on this.

I’ll be honest.

Nothing can change my perspective on this.

Not even random racist YouTube links.

#292 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Which makes ALL of your arguments dishonest and ill informed. Like pretty much anything you post that is not Pinball related.

You don’t seem to be any more open minded about this than I am. It’s dishonest to call me dishonest when your mind is also clearly made up.

I appreciate you giving me some credit on my pinball-related opinions though. I mean that’s why we are all here right?

#302 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I hope everyone realizes Prager U is a laughably bad propaganda outfit that no one takes seriously.

But it’s on YouTube!

1 month later
    #369 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Any thread aboot divorce

It’s a pretty erotic circle jerk of hate over there

#419 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Why weird? I don't care if you're gay or straight, black or white, just don't push your agenda on others!!
    Play pinball

It’s weird because it’s not something that would ever happen. It’s a “hypothetical” dreamed up at the “Hypothetical Racist / Sexist / Homophobic Institute of Bullshit.” Apparently they are still open for online classes this semester.

It had no bearing on real life and Impedes progress of our society, like “A cross dresser is going into the girls bathroom to molest children!” and “when gays can marry, Is marrying dogs next?!”

If you can’t see why dreamed up “falling down” scenarios like this are silly, you are silly. And not in a “ha ha” kind of way.

#421 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

No shit, I know what hypothetical means, shouldn't you be in the covid thread, spreading your wisdom?

You clearly have no idea what hypothetical means. You used a ridiculous scenario that would never happen in a million years to demand that gays don’t “push their agenda” on you. Because you actually believe gay people are harassing pinball players across the globe in pinball locations by insisting pinball get gayer while manly straight guys are just minding their own business playing pinball.

So either you don’t know what hypothetical means, or you are having conversations with people that don’t exist. That’s why it’s “weird.”

Here’s a much more realistic scenario that might actually happen on planet earth, and is also actually relevant to this discussion:

Gay guy: hi fellas, can I get in on the next game?

Manly straight dudes playing pinball: sure next game!

Gay: thanks !

Straight: no problem! Just as soon as I’m done kicking this gay Homo’s ass! He plays like a girl!

Straight 2: shut up queer! Hahahah!

Gay guy to himself: ok I guess pinball isn’t a hobby for me. I’ll go back to the bar.

So that’s kind of the point of all this. With minor changes pinball could be a lot more welcoming to a lot more people. It’s not about “pushing an agenda” or making middle aged white guys less comfortable in the pinball hobby.

#423 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Too funny! Re-read the thread, It wasn't my scenario.

Right. But you latched on to that scenario as a reason to proclaim and complain that gays are pushing their agenda on you. So....what’s the difference?

I don’t find it funny at all. It’s sad.

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Your scenario is a crock! Yes it MIGHT happen, but what else MIGHT happen is a guy could be playing pinball and a gay dude might proposition him.
    It's life, deal with it.

You know what they say about “straight” guys who are worried all gay guys are after them, right?

Google it.

#429 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Don't know, don't care. Not worried.

Whatever you say, Mary

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

People say they don’t care if someone is gay, but they really don’t want to hear about it
    If a guy is with his boyfriend, and I say hello to their partner...then to some Im getting too personal, I risk getting my ass kicked for assuming someone is gay despite it being very obvious that they are, and I’m somehow reducing a person to a single character trait because apparently I can’t talk about anything other than their queerness.
    At the same time, if a guy was clearly with his girlfriend and I stonewall her and ignore her entire presence, then I’m a complete social dweeb and rude.
    Do people really not see the double standard being applied to just being friendly to strangers next to them on a pinball machine?

It’s a “double standard” that you just made up and doesn’t actually exist in real life.

You aren’t going to get your ass kicked for saying hi to somebody at a pinball machine, whether or not he’s some guy’s boyfriend. Where do people Come up with this shit? I’m starting to think this whole thread is on meth.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.