(Topic ID: 271202)

Backbox podcast: Let's Talk About Diversity!

By cait001

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 456 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FAE09FBD-B24D-4CAA-9E1E-31339E19CB13.gif
    810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg
    AC912FDE-DC42-4A45-84E8-6E577385CBF6 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20200627_142525 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200627-135018~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132843~2 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200627-132902~2 (resized).png
    20200627_132227 (resized).jpg
    391F323D-0F24-4F3A-84CC-CB7B2D063C3A (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    FC327CBB-772E-42E2-80A0-4EC466CE7A4D (resized).jpeg
    46gmpf (resized).jpg
    EC7774BE-63A5-49D0-AC58-9BBAD345E72C (resized).jpeg
    61F22975-965D-4615-A214-2BA732F6B180 (resized).jpeg
    begging.gif
    yesyesyes.gif

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
    #401 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's not inside knowledge that Stern is doing gangbusters. Someone like George Gomez is thrilled to tell you stuff that sales are up 30% over last year and that they've shipped games to 100 different countries or whatever.

I'll repeat myself... 'revenue is only one piece' - these are realities you can't bury with idealism.

#402 3 years ago

best of luck to everyone on the IFPA Women's Advisory Board!

#403 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Ok this thread has run it's course, shut it down. hurt feelings of white men rule the day.

Nope I want to play pinball with you Cait. Let's do it and then we can come back here and talk about how it all went.

#404 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

A bit of a scattered rant, so bear with me...
    Why would a mall in a city be any more dangerous compared to one in the suburbs? What makes it dangerous? If I think I get what you are saying, wouldn't that just be perpetuating what you are saying you are against? This is confusing to me. Seriously.
    Back in my day, the city malls around my parts ALWAYS had the best arcades, with the latest games, and that usually meant us younger folks had to wait for the older people or kids to move on to another game so we could play. Conversely, the arcades in the 'burbs always had the older or less popular games.
    Perhaps you are suggesting socio-economic barriers to pinball?
    I guess at the end of the day, people are tribal; they like to do what they are familiar with, with those they are familiar with. People generally like to conform. This cuts across all races, backgrounds, classes...it's literally instinctual.
    Small examples, but examples nonetheless:
    My wife's parents (who happen to be a mixed race couple, but that's not what I'm getting at...) happen to be of a religious persuasion that like to (annoyingly) knock on people's doors to tell them about it. They tend to socialize with other "door knockers".
    A neighbor of mine is a proud Italian. He is what most would call a "paison"; in fact, if he likes you, he calls you a "paison" as well. Guess what he does literally every Saturday? He plays cards in the back of a fellow Italian immigrant's barber shop with other Italians.
    I like to play pinball. Guess what I do every Monday night when covid isn't in town? I play pinball with other pinball people! And it's a pretty fun, and welcoming to ALL that show up. And it's a diverse crowd, pretty much the entire gamut of the the human condition (gay, straight, trans, liberal, conservative, black, white, short, fat, ugly, pretty, rich, redneck, bougie, extrovert, introvert, poor, etc., etc., etc.) Maybe it's like cats and dogs getting together, but we all have a good time, and we even bust each other's chops too! Crazy!
    Maybe the "scene" is different up here in the Northeast, but pinball might actually be one of the most people "diverse" things I do!
    Pinball not welcoming? I haven't seen it...not saying that YOU haven't, but most people I talk to tend to agree.
    Maybe I just wasn't looking, but I didn't see a group of nazi's/black panthers/mafiosos/etc. out in front of Pinburgh last year trying to scare people off.
    I'm well aware of of all the world's tragedies, but I find that if you do what's right, treat others with respect, and generally not be an asshole, it gets you pretty far.
    I'll probably regret hitting "post", but I come here to ESCAPE from the world and discuss pinball, with like minded pinball people. But here I am. I guess I just take for granted the disproportionately large amount of kind people I've met in this hobby. From ALL walks of life. Or maybe I just like to type. I don't know. I'm out.

I certainly don't disagree with what you said, I just don't understand what the exact message you are trying to convey is

It's fine that people want to share certain things with people like them. I'm not saying it's wrong to find like minded individuals. I'm saying pinball as a whole has some issues that don't really get addressed and tend to be swept under the rug. It has an issue with attracting people in general, and of the people it does attract it's not a very diverse group.

I personally think it's valuable to have a diverse group of people in any hobby. And it's fine if someone disagrees with that (no one is going to change my mind and I won't change theirs). It's reasonable that certain hobbies are fundamentally limited in appeal. Of course a bunch of non-Italians aren't going to be as interested in hanging out with some dudes who want to Italian-it-up or whatever. I simply don't think pinball is necessarily that sort of hobby.

It's great that your neck of the woods is so inclusive and has a diverse group of players. I wish I could say the same around my neck of the woods.

#405 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I wouldn't say that because I just dont care enough to say that. What if the guy said "hell no asshole I ain't gay" and then he beat the hell out of you? Better just to keep your mouth shut and play pinball in my opinion.

A-fricken-men

#406 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I wouldn't say that because I just dont care enough to say that. What if the guy said "hell no asshole I ain't gay" and then he beat the hell out of you? Better just to keep your mouth shut and play pinball in my opinion.

Because in my hypothetical example they are clearly gay?

I'm not going to just randomly ask someone if they're gay. But if it's obvious that it's their partner with them, I'm not going to act like I don't see that they're a couple.

#407 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nope I want to play pinball with you Cait. Let's do it and then we can come back here and talk about how it all went.

I look forward to playing pinball with you too, because dammit I love pinball.
    But I still hope some day we'll all revisit this with fresh eyes and a willingness to put the work in to examine the structural issues.
    Since this site is primarily American, it will perhaps require an American to truly bring the issues forward properly.

As they say around these here parts,
    pitter patter lets get at er
    peace out girl scout

#408 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

if it's obvious that it's their partner with them, I'm not going to act like I don't see that they're a couple.

Why? It's none if your business if they are a couple or not. It may offend them of you try to talk to them about it. He may think you are trying to hit on his boyfriend or something. You never know what is going to offend someone these days so that's a conversation that I think is best off to avoid.

#409 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

But if it's obvious that it's their partner with them, I'm not going to act like I don't see that they're a couple.

I think the point trying to be made is, why does it have to be treated as a spectacle and acknowledged. I think its fair to say we all want to be treated equal, so why treat the difference like its a miracle accomplishment.

Anyone that purposely points it out as a negative thing is in the wrong and should be called out but not acknowledging it doesnt make you a bad person:

Person A: "Hey Im gay"

Person B: "Ok so? Whats that have to do with locking the 3rd ball for multi?"

Person A: "Well I think there needs to be more gay people in pinball"

Person B: "Dude can you stop thinking with your dick for 3 seconds and focus on hitting that scoop you're about to GC this machine! I dont care who you're banging"

Person A: "I knew this hobby was full of closed minded people! I dont feel welcome!"

Person B: "Just hit the scoop!"

#410 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I think the point trying to be made is, why does it have to be treated as a spectacle and acknowledged. I think its fair to say we all want to be treated equal, so why treat the difference like its a miracle accomplishment.
    Anyone that purposely points it out as a negative should be called out but not acknowledging it doesnt make you a bad person:
    Person B: "Dude can you stop thinking with your dick for 3 seconds and focus on hitting that scoop you're about to GC this machine! I dont care who you're banging"
    Person A: "I knew this hobby was full of closed minded people! I dont feel welcome!"

You guys make the weirdest hypotheticals to prove some sort of nebulous point

#411 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why? It's none if your business if they are a couple or not. It may offend them of you try to talk to them about it. He may think you are trying to hit on his boyfriend or something. You never know what is going to offend someone these days so that's a conversation that I think is best off to avoid.

Fine, live in fear

#412 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Anyone that purposely points it out as a negative should be called out but not acknowledging it doesnt make you a bad person:

Lol that was pretty funny!

"Hey I'm gay"

"Who gives a shit, hit the scoop dumbass!"

#413 3 years ago

As a fairly large male construction worker with a boyfriend and a basement full of pinball machines at home, I really think using my sexuality, and the sexuality of some random imaginary bar-goer to prove tolerance is very, very strange. I also think it's the kind of example that people make when they're either incapable of self-reflection, or they don't think it likely that someone who fits their hypothetical example would be standing around in the room while an example is being made of them.

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm just going to put this out here right now, to all of my Male friends.....if you enjoy knitting please lose my number right now lol.....no seriously please do!
    Here is what you people arent smart enough to understand. The only reason people of any race or gender don't play pinball is because THEY DONT WANT TO!! The sad truth is most women do not like pinball and that's why they dont play, just like most women do not enjoy working on cars or watching certain sports etc. They simply dont want to or they would.
    I am going to guess that "most" African Americans dont like pinball or they would be playing it more. I mean theres nothing stopping them from playing so that's obviously the reason that alot of them dont play. We are all different and we like different things. That is never going to change in a million years so get over it and quit trying to force something that isnt there.
    Every person in this country is free to enjoy the things that they want to enjoy, doesnt matter if you are white, black, brown straight or gay. Nobody gives a shit as much as you think they do, it's all in your racist and sexist little heads trust me. If you are gay I will play pinball with you, just dont pinch me on the ass while I'm playing and we will be fine. You got that Gunnut40?
    Grow up people for real and stop living in your racist and hate filled fantasy land!

Don’t worry dude. When you a nice score I will just smack you on the ass. The next thing you know 20 jocks will be wanting to play pinball.

#415 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

As a fairly large male construction worker with a boyfriend and a basement full of pinball machines at home, I really think using my sexuality, and the sexuality of some random imaginary bar-goer to prove tolerance is very, very strange. I also think it's the kind of example that people make when they're either incapable of self-reflection, or they don't think it likely that someone who fits their hypothetical example would be standing around in the room while an example is being made of them.

Or hyperbole used to illustrate the fact that it's not relevant to the subject at hand.

#416 3 years ago

My presence in this forum, in the pinball community, or at an arcade, should not be considered hyperbolic nor exceptional. And yet here it seems to be, which seems a touch on the nose.

#417 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm not going to just randomly ask someone if they're gay. But if it's obvious that it's their partner with them, I'm not going to act like I don't see that they're a couple.

I met Archie and Andy once when they came to Austin. Great guys.

#418 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

You guys make the weirdest hypotheticals to prove some sort of nebulous point

Why weird? I don't care if you're gay or straight, black or white, just don't push your agenda on others!!
    Play pinball

#419 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Why weird? I don't care if you're gay or straight, black or white, just don't push your agenda on others!!
    Play pinball

It’s weird because it’s not something that would ever happen. It’s a “hypothetical” dreamed up at the “Hypothetical Racist / Sexist / Homophobic Institute of Bullshit.” Apparently they are still open for online classes this semester.

It had no bearing on real life and Impedes progress of our society, like “A cross dresser is going into the girls bathroom to molest children!” and “when gays can marry, Is marrying dogs next?!”

If you can’t see why dreamed up “falling down” scenarios like this are silly, you are silly. And not in a “ha ha” kind of way.

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s weird because it’s not something that would ever happen. It’s a “hypothetical” dreamed up at the “Hypothetical Racist / Sexist / Homophobic Institute of Bullshit.” Apparently they are still open for online classes this semester.
    It had no bearing on real life and Impedes progress of our society, like “A cross dresser is going into the girls bathroom to molest children!” and “when gays can marry, Is marrying dogs next?!”
    If you can’t see why stuff like this is silly, you are silly. And not in a “ha ha” kind of way.

No shit, I know what hypothetical means, shouldn't you be in the covid thread, spreading your wisdom?

#421 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

No shit, I know what hypothetical means, shouldn't you be in the covid thread, spreading your wisdom?

You clearly have no idea what hypothetical means. You used a ridiculous scenario that would never happen in a million years to demand that gays don’t “push their agenda” on you. Because you actually believe gay people are harassing pinball players across the globe in pinball locations by insisting pinball get gayer while manly straight guys are just minding their own business playing pinball.

So either you don’t know what hypothetical means, or you are having conversations with people that don’t exist. That’s why it’s “weird.”

Here’s a much more realistic scenario that might actually happen on planet earth, and is also actually relevant to this discussion:

Gay guy: hi fellas, can I get in on the next game?

Manly straight dudes playing pinball: sure next game!

Gay: thanks !

Straight: no problem! Just as soon as I’m done kicking this gay Homo’s ass! He plays like a girl!

Straight 2: shut up queer! Hahahah!

Gay guy to himself: ok I guess pinball isn’t a hobby for me. I’ll go back to the bar.

So that’s kind of the point of all this. With minor changes pinball could be a lot more welcoming to a lot more people. It’s not about “pushing an agenda” or making middle aged white guys less comfortable in the pinball hobby.

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You clearly have no idea what hypothetical means. You used a ridiculous scenario that would never happen in a million years to demand that gays don’t “push their agenda” on you. Because you actually believe gay people are harassing pinball players across the globe in pinball locations by insisting pinball get gayer while manly straight guys are just minding their own business playing pinball.
    So either you don’t know what hypothetical means, or you are having conversations with people that don’t exist. That’s why it’s “weird.”

Too funny! Re-read the thread, It wasn't my scenario.

#423 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Too funny! Re-read the thread, It wasn't my scenario.

Right. But you latched on to that scenario as a reason to proclaim and complain that gays are pushing their agenda on you. So....what’s the difference?

I don’t find it funny at all. It’s sad.

#424 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Here’s a much more realistic scenario that might actually happen on planet earth, and is also actually relevant to this discussion:
    Gay guy: hi fellas, can I get in on the next game?
    Manly straight dudes playing pinball: sure next game!
    Gay: thanks !
    Straight: no problem! Just as soon as I’m done kicking this gay Homo’s ass! He plays like a girl!
    Straight 2: shut up queer! Hahahah!
    Gay guy to himself: ok I guess pinball isn’t a hobby for me. I’ll go back to the bar.
    So that’s kind of the point of all this. With minor changes pinball could be a lot more welcoming to a lot more people. It’s not about “pushing an agenda” or making middle aged white guys less comfortable in the pinball hobby.

Your scenario is a crock! Yes it MIGHT happen, but what else MIGHT happen is a guy could be playing pinball and a gay dude might proposition him.
    It's life, deal with it.

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Your scenario is a crock! Yes it MIGHT happen, but what else MIGHT happen is a guy could be playing pinball and a gay dude might proposition him.
    It's life, deal with it.

You know what they say about “straight” guys who are worried all gay guys are after them, right?

Google it.

#426 3 years ago

Even more realistic scenario

Pinsiders: Debating diversity in Pinball
    Meteor: Slams into earth
    [none of this matters, cockroaches see another species rule the planet]

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

My presence in this forum, in the pinball community, or at an arcade, should not be considered hyperbolic nor exceptional. And yet here it seems to be, which seems a touch on the nose.

Your presence is that you are a human... who is interested in pinball.

We aren't interested in the rest... but you seem to be making a point of waving it around. That was the point of the post... You're gay? No one cares.

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You know what they say about “straight” guys who are worried all gay guys are after them, right?
    Google it.

Don't know, don't care. Not worried.

#429 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Don't know, don't care. Not worried.

Whatever you say, Mary

#430 3 years ago

Bye Karen.

#431 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Your presence is that you are a human... who is interested in pinball.
    We aren't interested in the rest... but you seem to be making a point of waving it around. That was the point of the post... You're gay? No one cares.

Yeah, I just limp-wristed my way into this shitshow just to make you uncomfortable. Just here to sparkle up the joint.

No, I came back to say that I don't appreciate being used as a prop, to jack up a flawed hypothetical that is ridiculous at best and offensive at worst. I have never once on Pinside mentioned the way I swing until someone badly tried to use that as an example of why folks like me should feel included and it was actually a fairly shockingly open illustration of why folks who are in any way different (visibly or not) than the regular crowd tend to shy away.

The fact that I can't even reply and say "Hey, I don't think that's cool to be talked about that way" without being told that I'm waving it around is ridiculous, but not entirely unpredictable. It wouldn't be the first time that someone's said it.

SMDH. The ignorance is absolutely appalling.

#432 3 years ago

The only thing I've learned from Pinside today is the Mods had a late fucking night

#433 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

The fact that I can't even reply and say "Hey, I don't think that's cool to be talked about that way"

No one talked about you in anyway man. Get past your inflated self importance, you’re not the appointed gay representative of the fake simplistic over the top scenario I laid out

#434 3 years ago

Actually I’m rethinking that. With how you interact on the forum I can imagine you being EXACTLY who that guy is in-person

#435 3 years ago

Am I supposed to apologize for not coddling someone who has said something genuinely ignorant? Good grief.

#436 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

something genuinely ignorant?

Something that’s ignorant is that it’s seems everyone is ignorant of this piece here that sets the tone of the scenario

810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg810D1D3D-5F27-4325-B5EA-1F16518C4FAE (resized).jpeg

explain why I get a down vote for promoting equality and calling out people that have a problem with differences.
    Or do you only take things out of context?

#437 3 years ago

Why would you, or any other normal person, think that that incredibly ridiculous situation would or could occur? In what universe would you think that would not only support your position, but make it seem reasonable? Am I supposed to only look at the first paragraph and ignore the screed below it?

Print out your post, go take a short walk to a quiet place where you're alone, and read it out loud. Maybe a couple of times. Then walk back home spending some time reflecting on the words that you've just heard yourself say.

#438 3 years ago

The actual dialogue would never happen. That’s the point. It’s an all encompassing exaggeration of both sides of this debate about representation and forcing the agenda to show how ridiculous it is.

Person B = People that wanna play pinball and just would rather see people as people and not a TYPE of person

Person A = People that wanna play pinball but feel the need to make sure that every type of label you can give a person is represented and if they aren’t represented, will make sure that everyone else knows it and makes that representation more important than just playing pinball.

And then drive a point that if you aren’t onboard with this labeling, and making sure to make a point beefing up the numbers of (insert label of person), then you’re an intolerant bigoted racist fascist.

#439 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You're insulting him by calling him gay?

#440 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

Yeah, I just limp-wristed my way into this shitshow just to make you uncomfortable. Just here to sparkle up the joint.

da faq are you on about? Now you're just making up strawmen.

Truth is.. two other people were having a conversation that sums up to "no one cares about your sexuality" and one guy made up a hyperbolic situation to drive the point home... the point being... no one cares which way 'you swing'.

Yet you come along and somehow make this about you and somehow this illustration was about you?

Quoted from semicolin:

No, I came back to say that I don't appreciate being used as a prop, to jack up a flawed hypothetical that is ridiculous at best and offensive at worst.

Who put you up as a prop? Are you automatically everyone who is gay or something? Jesus man... stop trying to play the victim. It was a simple mock to say HE DOESN'T CARE IF YOU ARE GAY OR NOT. Why is that so offensive that you need to stand up and put yourself in the path to take a bullet over someone's indifference to someone's sexuality?

Quoted from semicolin:

I have never once on Pinside mentioned the way I swing until someone badly tried to use that as an example of why folks like me should feel included and it was actually a fairly shockingly open illustration of why folks who are in any way different (visibly or not) than the regular crowd tend to shy away.

So you're trying to say you can only feel included if your sexuality is somehow up and out there to 'fit in'?? Dude.. no one was excluding you (or even pointing at you) - then you come and hang your sexuality out there and make yourself the center of things.

Just play fucking pinball.

#441 3 years ago

If any of those posters were truly indifferent to someone's skin colour, sexuality, gender, religion, whatever- they wouldn't need to create a hypothetical argument or fanciful situation unprompted. We just want to play pinball too, but being used as a prop argument in a discussion about the reasons why communities lack diversity is one of the reasons why people don't chime in. You don't hear it, because on the *extremely rare* occasion that we show up and say "Hey, that's kind of a weird thing to say" we get told alternately that we're dick waving or that we're flaunting it. Both have occurred in this thread. Both have occurred in IRL as well, so it's not like anyone is making a novel argument here.

That's the simple point I'm trying to make.

#442 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

If any of those posters were truly indifferent to someone's skin colour, sexuality, gender, religion, whatever- they wouldn't need to create a hypothetical argument or fanciful situation unprompted. We just want to play pinball too, but being used as a prop argument in a discussion about the reasons why communities lack diversity is one of the reasons why people don't chime in. You don't hear it, because on the *extremely rare* occasion that we show up and say "Hey, that's kind of a weird thing to say" we get told alternately that we're dick waving or that we're flaunting it. Both have occurred in this thread. Both have occurred in IRL as well, so it's not like anyone is making a novel argument here.
    That's the simple point I'm trying to make.

#443 3 years ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

If any of those posters were truly indifferent to someone's skin colour, sexuality, gender, religion, whatever- they wouldn't need to create a hypothetical argument or fanciful situation unprompted

Unprompted? Uhh.. it was a back and forth discussion dude to paint a picture of a point that was already brought up and challenged - your reality distortion generator is on MAX. READ the post - not get triggered.

Quoted from semicolin:

We just want to play pinball too, but being used as a prop argument in a discussion about the reasons why communities lack diversity is one of the reasons why people don't chime in. You don't hear it, because on the *extremely rare* occasion that we show up and say "Hey, that's kind of a weird thing to say" we get told alternately that we're dick waving or that we're flaunting it. Both have occurred in this thread. Both have occurred in IRL as well, so it's not like anyone is making a novel argument here.

Dude... you're the one who made it an issue. Stop trying to paint it as you being singled out.

Missing the forrest for the trees... The guy simply said "why does it have to be treated as a spectacle and acknowledged"

There are white, black, brown, male, female, old, young, gay, straight, cross-dressing, married, single, couples, nerds, jocks, druggies, stiffs, and much more in our pinball circles.. and have been for over 24 years. It's just people. We didn't campaign to pull in any demographic - we just encouraged social pinball and embraced any and all who shared our interest.

Some stay... many leave... and I can't think of anytime someone joined, or left, because of sexuality one way or the other. It just doesn't matter .. and if someone is abusive or runs off other players... we address it. I can tell you language and violence have ran off far more people in our local community than any sexist or homophobic topics in our years.

Know what scorecard we've kept over the years? Number of players... not demographic tracking vs the general population.

#444 3 years ago

People say they don’t care if someone is gay, but they really don’t want to hear about it

If a guy is with his boyfriend, and I say hello to their partner...then to some Im getting too personal, I risk getting my ass kicked for assuming someone is gay despite it being very obvious that they are, and I’m somehow reducing a person to a single character trait because apparently I can’t talk about anything other than their queerness.

At the same time, if a guy was clearly with his girlfriend and I stonewall her and ignore her entire presence, then I’m a complete social dweeb and rude.

Do people really not see the double standard being applied to just being friendly to strangers next to them on a pinball machine?

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

People say they don’t care if someone is gay, but they really don’t want to hear about it
    If a guy is with his boyfriend, and I say hello to their partner...then to some Im getting too personal, I risk getting my ass kicked for assuming someone is gay despite it being very obvious that they are, and I’m somehow reducing a person to a single character trait because apparently I can’t talk about anything other than their queerness.
    At the same time, if a guy was clearly with his girlfriend and I stonewall her and ignore her entire presence, then I’m a complete social dweeb and rude.
    Do people really not see the double standard being applied to just being friendly to strangers next to them on a pinball machine?

It’s a “double standard” that you just made up and doesn’t actually exist in real life.

You aren’t going to get your ass kicked for saying hi to somebody at a pinball machine, whether or not he’s some guy’s boyfriend. Where do people Come up with this shit? I’m starting to think this whole thread is on meth.

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m starting to think this whole thread is on meth.

That’s not being inclusive to people with drug addictions! What about people that are on opioids?!! Don’t they get to be represented?!!!! Why is it always gotta be about meth???? Why do you assume it’s meth anyway? Is that your privilege showing?

I think it’s a shame we don’t have enough representation for all addicts in pinball! I think we should advocate for this.

But then I guess we would need to bring a balanced diverse group of drug addicts into the hobby. Not only all addictive drugs but every race, religion, sexuality, creed to be included for each of those drugs...
    FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!

#447 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

You're twisting things into what they are not. You're assuming there is going to be some conflict over the gay discussion... even to the point of physical assault.

What people are actually saying is... people aren't interested in someone belaboring topics or people manufacturing drama around things they are just indifferent to or just not interested in.

If you are the one that constantly tells everyone that your vegan and how everyone should be... the moment you walk up to them... you're going to get a sour reaction. If you are the one constantly bitching about your ex-wife in every conversation or whatever other baggage you have in your life... people are going to eventually be turned off because... people probably just aren't interested in your baggage. If you are the one that is constantly telling everyone how essential oils solves everything and how they should try it... people will find it annoying.

TLDR - Don't be annoying and keep discussions to something common or interesting... and most people are going to be ok and engaging. Manufacture drama or be pushy about things people aren't interested in hearing about... and you'll probably be labeled annoying.

People keep telling you that they don't care... yet you keep telling them how they are going to react differently.

#448 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a “double standard” that you just made up and doesn’t actually exist in real life.
    You aren’t going to get your ass kicked for saying hi to somebody at a pinball machine, whether or not he’s some guy’s boyfriend. Where do people Come up with this shit? I’m starting to think this whole thread is on meth.

Haha! It does exist but seems to be the other situation Trey mentioned. Yeah, see a guy and his girl approach you- sure, start chatting up the lady! That never results in violence..
    This thread is fascinating. People arguing pinball is inclusive are labeled as bigots and those arguing for more diversity are making stereotypes. Then some guy starts flinging his dick around AND flaunting it about a hypothetical situation.. priceless. People are glued to Facebook, Instagram, tiktok..- bastions of inclusivity- yet they don’t come to Pinside because it isn’t inclusive enough?

#449 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

You're twisting things into what they are not. You're assuming there is going to be some conflict over the gay discussion... even to the point of physical assault.
    People keep telling you that they don't care... yet you keep telling them how they are going to react differently.

I did not just make up the example of physical assault. That was a response by someone else that I responded to

Quoted from TreyBo69:

But if I was playing next to some dude and we're chatting about pinball, and suddenly his boyfriend walks up, I would probably say "Oh, is this your partner? Nice to meet you"

Quoted from Who-Dey:

And if I just ignored a man's girlfriend, it would be weird. And you can talk to some guy's girlfriend without "chatting her up" because men can be friends with women.

#450 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I did not just make up the example of physical assault. That was a response by someone else that I responded to

He simply stated why he wouldn't... his concern. You made it into your own when you said "I risk getting my ass kicked for assuming someone is gay"

Quoted from TreyBo69:

And if I just ignored a man's girlfriend, it would be weird. And you can talk to some guy's girlfriend without "chatting her up" because men can be friends with women.

Why do you have to ignore them? And why do you need to assume some sort of relationship? Why can't you just talk to someone as a person.. and if you want to discussion how they know each other... great.. they can share or not their relationship. "hey, you know joe here?" "how do you two know each other?"

Why does anyone need to assume sexuality or relationships before they can open their mouth?

This is so much manufactured drama.

There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backbox-podcast-let-s-talk-about-diversity/page/9?hl=frisbez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.